Unclutter 101: What I worked on today

Today I went through all of my cupboards and pulled out more things that I have not been using. There are several things that are now in a new donation box that I will take down to the donation center as soon as it is filled. I know that these photos are not as drastic as they were 6 months ago, when I was making deep cuts in the amount of things I have. What I am realizing now is what I use, and how often I use it. I am sure that there will be other things from these cabinets that I let go at some point, but I am very proud of myself for truly working with what I use, and making these decisions. Photo collage is my own.
I am trying to do that too, because I don't want to have to re-pack things and drag them with me to our next place. Of course, the lack of time frame and firm plans for the next place do sort of serve to dampen my impulse to get things sorted and decluttered.
I understand the hesitancy, but open up one cupboard... Back about March, I opened up the one covered with my plates in it and I had service for 25 people. I live alone. I have maybe one or two people over from time to time. I decided which four plates, salad plates, soup bowls I was going to keep I put all of the rest in a box. I immediately took the box down to the donation center. It was freeing. It made me nervous, but once I turned the box over and I came home it was freeing.
@TheSojourner I did donate a bit when we cleared the house, since I didn't want to drag everything to our tiny apartment. However, there are some things that have just gotten toted along from move-to-move. Some of it is still in boxes; it hasn't even made it to a cabinet.
@wilsongoddard I understand completely
• Israel
@TheSojourner It looks like you are continuing to declutter and good for you.
It will be a continual process for a while. It took me 60 years to accumulate.
• Israel
@TheSojourner It is a continuous project and there may always be something to get rid of. You are doing very good and I am very proud of you. It is not easy to get rid of things but you are doing it no matter if it is 60 years or 60 days.
@Hannihar I really appreciate you very kind words and support. Thank you.
@FourWalls (36268)
I uncluttered my car when I got home. I can only imagine the better mileage I would’ve had if I hadn’t been carrying so much extra stuff! You need your own decluttering show on the H&G channel!
@FourWalls (36268)
@TheSojourner — home & garden, or DIY, or whatever they call it this week.
@FourWalls I don't even know what those stations are. I don't have TV
You are doing a great job, a lot easier to find what we need when we have less things in the cabinets
I agree wholeheartedly!
@TheSojourner I have some drawers that are so full of stuff that I can find nothing inside.
@LadyDuck thankfully I'm done with those.
@noni1959 (8774)
It feels so good to clear clutter. It helps the mind. Yesterday, I took two small bags of clothing and a bag of good kitchen items to a lady in need. I'm letting go of things I have no used in such a long time. I had brand new things just sitting. They came from a party someone had and I was just trying to help her out. I won't be doing that any more. Today, I gave a bag of good food to my daughter's collecting for the food pantry. All are good items but now I want to be where I mostly have fresh.
I know what you mean. Congratulations on making those strides! I've done the same with certain things. Now I'm getting to things where it's just the piles of papers and boxes of crap.
@noni1959 (8774)
@TheSojourner I have a lot of my statements online so my filing has really gone down.
@rakski (101610)
that is great work for you!
Thank you!
@rakski (101610)
@TheSojourner I also like clean kitchen and house as a whole
@m_audrey6788 (54557)
Your kitchen looks great. I also do some decluttering once a month. It depends on my mood
Thanks so much!
@TheSojourner You`re welcome
@LindaOHio (76442)
Good for you! If you ever have to move, you will be glad you downsized.
I'm already glad. I'll just be more glad when it's all over! Not life, but this project.
Very nicely done.
@Dena91 (15646)
Good for you for continuing on in your decluttering process. I am sure others will appreciate what you have/will donate.
@JESSY3236 (15184)
I need to go through my uncle's cabinets and throw away some stuff.
@wolfgirl569 (49110)
• Marion, Ohio
Your kitchen is looking very good
@CarolDM (157962)
Nice collage. And you have been busy again.
Good for you! Those decisions can be tough. Yesterday, I searched and searched for something then decided I must have uncluttered them! Replaced them, so I hope I don't find them now. I may have to start listing what I get rid of so I don't hunt for it!