Bone density scan results in

Well, I have my bone density scan yesterday. The results are in. My spine is fine, but I have some bone lost in my hips. The doctor said that I need to continue taking my vitamin D3, eat more calcium rich foods, and walk more. So, I take daily vitamin D3, eat plenty of calcium rich foods, and walk quite a lot. What more do I do? If I take any calcium supplements or a lot more calcium in food, I develop kidney stones. I'm really getting tired of this crap.
@wolfgirl569 (49110)
• Marion, Ohio
Can you get cows milk from a farmer there. You know. The real real stuff. Not watered down. You might be able to process that calcium better
I don't know about that, but I'm also going to look at what the difference is with goat's milk and cow's milk where the calcium is concerned. I don't have a problem with drinking goat's milk. I'm going to have to get into a habit of eating breakfast every day and doing something everyday with milk and yogurt.
@wolfgirl569 (49110)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner Goats milk can be very expensive. But many people can drink it with no problems. I know the cream level varies by breed. Not sure about the calcium,
@wolfgirl569 I actually like goat's milk, but it is expensive
@JimBo452020 (63865)
• Montrose, Scotland
How much Cows milk do you drink? It's good for calcium , isn't it? And is Bone loss ot a thing that happens to us as we age
Can you see my finger? LOL I eat a lot of plain yogurt, but I was just reading that Greek yogurt is not as high in calcium as regular yogurt. I don't understand that one. And I don't drink a lot of cow's milk, but I eat quite a lot of cheese.
@JimBo452020 (63865)
• Montrose, Scotland
@TheSojourner Lol I'm a bit blunt maybe. I would go for Cows Milk with extra Calcium. Or even full fat milk Good excuse to add strawberry milk shake powder to it
@JimBo452020 we don't know each other very well, but I don't mind blunt. And I don't mind banter. Some of my favorite parts of my life were when I was in the military all those years with my military "brothers." I always told them that if they can dish it out, they better be able to take it. They didn't like it when I was better at dishing it out! ;-)
Calcium supplements should be fine. Of course, you have to not overdo it because it will cause problems.
I know that I can run into problems if I have too much calcium because of the kidney stones. But I'm just going to make sure that I eat a cup of yogurt everyday and drink a glass of milk every afternoon. If I can do that, that will increase my calcium to the point where I should be okay with everything else that I do. I really don't want to have to take a supplement, if not necessary.
@TheSojourner sounds like a plan. Good luck with it.
@rakski (101610)
yes, that is true. maybe drink more milk
They tell my sister to take calcium citrate to be sure she gets her calcium and not make stones. They would like her to take it with orange juice. I have never had a bone density scan, they may eventually have me get one, but I will be surprised.
I'll have to look that up ...thank you.
Eat some walnut kernels when you get your vitamin D3, the oil in them help the vitamin to be absorbed by your body. Too much calcium is also a problem, you are right. I have a cup of yogurt every day, not milk to avoid to rise my cholesterol. A piece of Parmesan cheese has a lot more calcium than a glass of milk and aged cheese contains no lactose.
I read that about parmesan yesterday. I didn't realize that that had more calcium in it than others. Thank you for your tips.
@TheSojourner Your welcome, hard aged cheese have more calcium than soft cheese, Parmesan is the one with more calcium. Seeds are also high in calcium, including poppy, sesame, celery and chia.
@LadyDuck yes, and I eat those quite regularly.
I hope the doctor can give the best option for this.
She was the one that said more calcium D3 and walk
@Nawsheen (25150)
• Mauritius
I heard that Corn Flakes have a lot of calcium but only a doctor can confirm this.
That's certainly what the marketing might tell somebody.
One of the things that the National Kidney Foundation recommends is cutting back on the sodium to avoid kidney stones. They have several suggestions that are, hopefully, helpful:
https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneystones_prevent
Yes, I try to watch my sodium, but probably need to watch it even more so.
@Didiyoo (42)
• Bekasi, Indonesia
Be patient and keep spirit....
There is not much more that you can do. Do you eat or drink milk products.
I eat yogurt, cheese, leafy greens, milk occasionally, almonds, tofu, all of the things that I know that have calcium. I am going to have to make it a habit to eat a full cup of yogurt each day, and drink a glass of milk each day. If I do those two things consistently, then I should be able to get a full 1200 mg daily with everything else that I do.
I wish all the best for you and I hope the calcium foods work for you and I sure hope you don't develop any kidney stones, This might help if considering Greek yogurt
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/greek-yogurt-vs-yogurt
Thank you, I will read that. And I have kidney stones just waiting to pass. A year and a half ago I had one, and I know through the CT scans that I have three or four others.