It Started With a Crash

I've been up for about an hour now. It was a noisy and messy start to my day today. I was reaching for something on the second shelf in one of the kitchen cupboards, when I accidentally knocked a full glass pepper grinder off of the shelf. We have marble countertops, and they are not very forgiving when anything makes a quick contact with them. This was a quick contact. I spent the next 45 minutes vacuuming and redoing it to make sure that I got all of the glass shards. I hope that I did get them all, but I won't feel completely safe until I vacuum just 1 more time and then mop the floor. Yesterday was a stressful day full of technology woes at work, hopefully those have been fixed. I am ready to have a smooth day today, how about you?
So sorry that it was a bad start of your day, when it happens to me, I also have to vacuum over and over to make sure I get everything,
I felt like I should have gone back to bed. I made a small pot of coffee and I put the basket in just off a little, so there were grounds in my coffee. That pot had to be dumped and a new one started. Is it Friday the 13th today?
@Fleura (17370)
@Juliaacv If you had filter papers you could have poured the coffee through that.
@Juliaacv , Not your best day for sure!
@Janet357 (73783)
I can relate to this one, The problem is there are still tiny glasses hiding beneath the sofa or what. Hope it was all vacuumed,
I vacuumed it all up and mopped it and then threw the mop head out.
I hate vacuuming. I ts truly the never ending chore.
@iloves88 I would rather vacuum a few times then step on a shard of glass.
@Fleura (17370)
We have a hard tiled kitchen floor on which a few items met their ends in the first few months we lived here. Things seemed to improve after that, maybe we subconsciously remembered to be more careful. The best way to pick up those tiny shards of glass is with a damp cloth. A vacuum won't pick them up. Just use some dampened old rag to carefully wipe all over and then throw the whole thing away.
I vacuumed for a long time because some of them flew and scattered onto the floor and they slid here and there. I feel like once I mop, which is almost like using a dampened rag, I will be safe in thinking that I got it all. Then you watch, I will step on a piece and all of my confidence will be shattered. Seems to be a theme this week.
@Fleura (17370)
@Juliaacv The problem with the mop is that you can't get those tiny specks of glass out of the mop afterwards!
@Fleura I have a sponge mop and it has a replaceable sponge mop head that I will just toss out and the next time that I need to mop I will put a fresh new one on.
Not a fun thing first thing in the morning
Not at all.
@wolfgirl569 (49341)
• Marion, Ohio
Hope the rest of the day goes better for you
Thanks, it turned right around and it a great day.
@oahuwriter (17870)
@Juliaacv So glad for you, everything good now.When I break glass, and in my over 6 decades of living, I've broken some , I add, something evil or bad ended forever. I feel better. Like you, cleaning it up carefully afterwards.
@m_audrey6788 (54547)
It happens to me and it was really hard cleaning up the mess. Yesterday, I was so busy with my online work and can`t be on mylot for a long time but now I am free and enjoying mylotting
I have to mop the floor still, then I will be confident that I did get all of the tiny pieces of glass. Its not the greatest way to start the day, sorry that you know that all too well yourself.
@Juliaacv Yes. Sorry about that.
@Vree0937 (2884)
I wish you a good luck for today. Believe that today will be a good and calm day after yesterday's woes
It is a great day now, I got the bad all overwith early.
@RebeccasFarm (49347)
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Oh dear so sorry Julia..I know how that kind of accident can take up a lot of time and frazzle your nerves. Try to have a good day now. Today is like any other day here but colder and I never know what is going to happen.
The day turned around and its been a great day. I even was approached to go to another department, but I declined the offer, I like what I do. Stay warm, its still quite mild here.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@Juliaacv I am glad you declined..would it have been more money?
@RebeccasFarm I did not ask, I like my schedule and my wages are good. Starting over in a new department and learning everything from scratch would be too hard for me.
@kobesbuddy (136351)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Oh Julia, I know exactly how this feels! Except what I knocked on our floor was a crystal bowl(not genuine)that belonged to a woman Jay worked with! I did clean up the mess, it was horrible:( When we moved the refrigerator out a while later, there were pieces of glass underneath.
Oh that must have just about broke your heart. My pepper grinder is much more easy to replace. My day turned around and I was asked to go to another department but I declined since I am so happy here. Plus I am getting too old for more training.
@kobesbuddy (136351)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Juliaacv When Jay told Barb that I'd broken her dish, she wasn't upset. I guess Barb found it at a yard sale, it wasn't what she considered a valued piece.
@kobesbuddy But valued to both you and Jay.
I am so sorry, be sure not to walk barefoot in the kitchen today.
Its all cleaned up and the day is turning out to be wonderful. My manager had another manager ask if I would like to go to another department at work. It was nice to be asked, but I declined as I love what I do.
@Juliaacv We also had a beautiful sunny day and today it seems the same. I am so glad your managers are appreciating your work so much. I would not change either, as you like what you do.
@LadyDuck It was nice to be asked, but I have no intention on going to another department at this point.
• Israel
@Juliaacv When I started to read your post I thought that you fell. I am glad you did not fall and sorry the pepper grinder fell. That is a mess to clean up glass. I can understand the steps you did to get it all cleaned up. I hope today is a better day for you.
Today will be a great day.
• Israel
@Juliaacv I hope it is for you.
@JimBo452020 (64467)
• Montrose, Scotland
Your hubby didn't have a great day yhe other day. And now you Cleaning up glass would ruin anybody day. Making sure not on tiny piece remains lest it hurt someone or a pet etc I know how you must have gelt
It wasn't the greatest start to any day, but the day was great after I cleaned that up. I was even asked by my manager if I wanted to go to another department-which I declined, but it was nice to have been asked.
@JimBo452020 (64467)
• Montrose, Scotland
@Juliaacv Nice to be asked indeed
@CarolDM (158540)
Oh I am so sorry. It happens. It seems so hard to find all of those tiny pieces of glass. This too shall pass for you.
Thanks the day turned right around and it’s been a near perfect day since.
@CarolDM (158540)
@Juliaacv So happy to hear.
Not sure if I can say you had a bit of bad hair day.Glad that it was over and you will have smooth days from now on.
I got all of the 'bad' done early in the morning, the rest of the day was great.
Oh no! I would be doing it over and over again too
That is what I did, vacuumed several times and then mopped.
@aninditasen (3237)
• Raurkela, India
Mine is a cool calm day. Today is Bijoya Dashmi or Dusherra in India. I prayed for our well-being to Goddness Durga. Going out has been restricted in our city.
Enjoy this special day.
@sjvg1976 (30200)
So sorry for you for the things it happened to you. It's better to vacuum it one more time and mop it.
I have it all cleaned up and the rest of the day was great.
• Rockingham, Australia
Things don't bounce on our countertops either and the shards seem to go from one end of the room to the other. Hope your day goes better than yesterday.
Today is shaping up to be a good one. Of course it IS Friday, and that has alot to do with it.
Yes, me too, but not sure when one is going to be happening. I just have to keep calm and carry on.
Good words to live by.
After the storm comes the calm and you seem to be enjoying that calm. Have a nice day
Yes, well spoken words, that is exactly how my day turned out to be.