Frugal Cooking: Spatchcocked the Turkey

I decided not to go out tonight to Seattle to spend time with my daughter. I really don't want to be out late tonight, and then have to drive two hours back home, on Thanksgiving Eve. Instead, I've been doing some little things around the house, and I've started the process of cooking for tomorrow. I decided to "spatchcock" the turkey. This is a process of removing the backbone from the bird, and then it lays flatter in the pan. It was quite a chore to do so with this bird, but it's been done, and it won't take as long to cook it. I have all the trimmed turkey parts, that will not be roasted, in a stockpot with all of the vegetable trimmings that I keep in a container in my freezer. This way, I will have a nice rich turkey stock to freeze for making soup. I also cooked up the liver and heart in a little seasoning and butter, and had a snack. I remember my mother doing that, and she rarely shared them with me. I ate them in her honor. I have already made my bread dressing, and all I will have to do is bake it tomorrow. I need to think about baking a pumpkin pie, and making coleslaw. I'll prep the broccoli, and the potatoes for mashing. I am keeping tomorrow's traditions low-key. Then tomorrow, it will be cooking the turkey, baking the dressing, and just do the final touches. It will be an easy day with cooking only a bit more than usual, but never as much as I did, when I hosted holiday get-togethers. Though I miss some of it, I do not miss doing all the work.
@MarieCoyle (2253)
Sounds so good. I always make the most out of turkeys I cook, too. Boil the carcass for broth, etc. My son in law (he is a great cook!) is making the turkey tomorrow, I am taking two dishes, he says he wants to. I am OK with that. I love to cook, but it's wonderful to get a break now and then. Have a really, really good time tomorrow!!
I may or may not make another pot of broth with cooked turkey carcass. Spatchcocking by taking out the back gives me plenty raw to boil, which gives it more collagen in the broth. I shall see how I feel tomorrow after cooking the bird.
@TheSojourner Don't overdo. More than once I have bagged the carcass and froze it until I had time to cook it. If you have room, that works. I honestly don't think I could survive without a freezer.
@TheSojourner Homemade broth with the veggie scraps cooked with it is so good in soups. I make it and it all gets used. I know what you mean about enough room. I always have at least a pie or two in mine, ready to bake, usually some homemade cookies or similar for unexpecteds, and then the usual. Gotta do the in and out thing but it's all so nice to have on hand, especially in the winter when I don't want to get out on super nasty days.
@RubyHawk (45694)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don’t miss the work either. I made all the Thanksgivings dinners for years. My son and his wife took over a few years ago.
I haven't been invited over for a long time. Now that my daughter is on her own (divorced and no kids at home), she doesn't host. And she never has liked cooking very much.
@RubyHawk (45694)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheSojourner My son and his wife still aren’t over the flu so they are resting. Leo’s daughter invited me for dinner so I will go there.
@RubyHawk I'm sorry about your son and wife having the flu; it sounds like you will have a nice dinner, nonetheless.
@wolfgirl569 (52355)
• Marion, Ohio
Sounds like a wonderful meal
Just took the dressing out of the oven. Corn muffins are made. Yes, I ate one to make sure they were okay. LOL I am not sure if I'm going to make a pie. I'm good with those two things and all I'll need to make is gravy. LOL
@wolfgirl569 (52355)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner Always have to taste test as you go
@wolfgirl569 I know! Right?
It all sounds delicious, A very Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Thank you. The same to you.
You are preparing a good traditional meal. I told to my husband that this year I am going to break Christmas traditions. I cannot see why we must prepare what we used to do in the past as we never really enjoyed all that food. Well, after 50 years together we are becoming wiser.
We'll see how the turkey comes out. This is the first time I've ever done it this way.
@TheSojourner I am sure your turkey will be delicious.
@LadyDuck I need to make the butter spread. I'm going to crush garlic and use fresh Rosemary and thyme, white pepper, and whatever else I feel like putting into it and mix it with the butter, and that's what I will slather the turkey with before roasting it. It will be interesting to see just how little time it takes to cook this bird with the opening it up and cooking it flat. I'm estimating 2 hours max.
I cooked the ham and turkey yesterday and just heated them in the oven today and everything was really great.
So you had your Thanksgiving dinner already?
@TheSojourner Yes we had it today with one grandson and tomorrow with another one.
@jstory07 That's pretty neat, you get to celebrate two days instead of one.
@LindaOHio (79437)
I actually miss all the work. I wish I could still do it. Hope you, RGD and Cooper have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
He's going to drop Cooper off and we'll have a quick bite to eat and then probably clean up the little garden area before he goes home. Just another day here in the Pacific northwest!
@LindaOHio (79437)
@TheSojourner Well, I hope you had a nice visit.
If I ate meat, I would try to do what you are doing - eat all the parts. Might as well not let things go to waste that don't need to. Although to be honest, eating a heart that was once beating would freak me out. But I see the nostalgia in this. My frugal recipe for today was green bean casserole: 2 cans of green beans, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, french fried onions, and 1 cup of whole milk. A little salt and pepper. Less than $7 I think. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!