Tues a. m., 11 Jan 22--Back from the doctor's office

Have I mentioned just how much I appreciate 50°F/10°C weather? Yes, it is raining, and it is gray skies, but I'm not slipping on ice, nor am I having to layer upon layer of clothing in addition to hats, gloves, boots and polar parkas! My poor friends and family in Vermont have a high of -3°F/-19.4°C today. I really feel for them. Annual physical today I went in for my annual physical this morning at 8:40, and it was good to see my primary care provider. She wants me to get a shingles and tetanus shots. I'm not crazy about getting this shingles shot and I wonder what everybody's experience is with it. I'll have my blood work done next month when I go into see my oncologist and they get that blood draw, so we can put the two of them together so only one draw is necessary. With all of the questions that my physician asked, I was keenly aware that I have stepped into the world of the aged. I also need to be aware that I cannot answer questions with my sarcastic sense of humor, because they take that stuff seriously! I have to remember to answer the questions as simply and definitively as yes or no. I find that no one has a sense of humor anymore. I was not happy with my weight, but even with clothes on I was still at 211 lb/95.7 kg, which the doctor is fine with for me and my body type and as I approach my treatments soon. By this summer I hope to be down about 22 lb/10kg. What I have to do is really up my exercise from two times a week to about four times per week. My diet is fine, and it sustains me with the fresh Foods I eat. So, it's really going to take exercise for me to start to make these changes now at this age. That's all for now Other than getting into the veteran clinic for my injections, and my situation with the cancer injections and upcoming treatments, I am pretty much good for any medical until next year when the annual physical comes up. I do need to set an appointment for my eyes and get that checked, as well. So, my health is fair. I would say that it's good, but when you have stage 4 cancer, they tend not to see it as excellent or good. I figure I'm living, still vertical and walking, so it doesn't get much better than that! I hope everybody is having a good week and I look forward to catching up with you later.
@FourWalls (38392)
My take on the shingles shot is simple: I’ve never had chicken pox, so I’m not taking it. Who wants to go out and exercise in the cold?! I walked at the gym today. The thought of going out in the cold and walking, though, is a big NO.
It was 52° and raining today.
@wolfgirl569 (48858)
• Marion, Ohio
But that means you should not get shingles. Hubby dont know if he had chicken pox or not. I know I did
@FourWalls (38392)
@wolfgirl569 — “they” say you can’t have shingles if you didn’t have chicken pox. Neither my brother or I had it. My doctor agreed that if I didn’t have chicken pox I shouldn’t get the shot.
As I am not crazy in getting plenty of vaccines, I never had the Shingles shot and not even the tetanus shot. I had Shingles 6 years ago. As I noticed the rash I went to see my doctor and in a few days I was fine and without consequences. I think I suffered less than the side effects of the vaccine.
I know people who have had shingles that had nothing more than a light rash. I have known other who have lived through the worst pain in life.
@TheSojourner - If you go immediately to see a doctor and you get the antiviral within 3 days, it does not spread, it is contained and you have no pain. If you wait thinking that "it's only a rash", the antiviral will not work, the rash will remain for weeks and the pain will last for months, even for years. My husband also had Shingles on his neck, we were not at home, it was the 3rd day when he could see his dermatologist, he was treated immediately and he also had no consequences. The pain is horrible if you do not treat it immediately as it attacks the nerves.
@LadyDuck It does not sound fun, at all.
@LindaOHio (82044)
It was 14 yesterday morning; but it will be ***41*** today. I never thought I'd get excited over temps like that. The shingles shot is easy peasy. No side effects for us. Yes, a physical exam these days is more involved than it used to be. My PCP keeps coming up with tests she wants me to take. I'm past due for a bone density test; but I take Calcium and a D3 supplement; so I should be OK.
I had a bone density scan in October. I have bone loss in my hips, and I take the same supplements.
@LindaOHio (82044)
@TheSojourner I guess I should really get it done. I'll be 74 in March; and I don't want to fall and break a hip and become a cliche! :-)
@LindaOHio It's the last thing we should do (break a hip and become a cliche)!! And the scan is very simple and painless.
@wolfgirl569 (48858)
• Marion, Ohio
I have been thinking of getting that shot. My aunt had shingles and was very uncomfortable. Even in pain at times.
The last thing I need to do is get shingles while I'm going through treatment.
@wolfgirl569 (48858)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner You especially should go get it. She got it when she could as they say you can get shingles again. I never heard her say she had any problems
@wolfgirl569 Okay, I'll go to the VA in the morning. I've got my prescription in hand
• Walnut Creek, California
I'll think about this after my root canal tomorrow morning. Sigh.
Ouchie! I hope you get the relief you need with that. Once it's done it's certainly not as problematic. But I hope you're okay. I have been putting off my shingles shots for 3 years now, and I promised the doc today that I will get it. I hate when I give my word. LOL
Hi, Coralita, Things are slow in this part of the planet as doctor appointments go. I need to see my skin doctor. It was so difficult to get an appointment with her that I went to one that is good but very expensive as my health insurance has no coverage for her. Just as I thought, I have a small cancer on one of my cheeks. It is not that terrible but it has to be taken away. And although I could pay for it elsewhere, I don´t see the reason to pay for a health insurance if I cannot use it. I´ll wait until February calling and calling. If not, I´ll have to assault a Bank.
@CarolDM (168228)
• Nashville, Tennessee
I try to keep a sense of humor. Makes life more enjoyable. Hope everything comes back good for you. Enjoy your week as well.
@JimBo452020 (80138)
• Montrose, Scotland
Living, vertical and walking You are right It doesn't actually get much better than that
@RubyHawk (49635)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Glad you got a good report. I would recommend you get the tetanus and shingles injections. If you’ve never had shingles you might not know they are so horribly itchy you feel like tearing your skin off. And everyone needs a tetanus snot. Anyone can get bitten by an animal or step on a nail.