Frugal Cooking: Short ribs in red wine w/carrots and potatoes went a long way to stretching a budget

I made the decision to go with short ribs for dinner tonight to thank RGD for caring for Cooper these past three nights. I needed the break, and I know that Cooper is well cared for. The breakdown of the costs of the majority of ingredients are, as follows: Short ribs,2lbs/1kg, cut into 8 pieces--$9.00 Potatoes--$0.60 Carrots--$1.50 Onions--$0.20 Homemade broth, seasoning, herbs, wine, flour-$Negligible Total cost: ~$12.00 Per serving: $1.50 Between the two of us, we ate three servings today for a total of $4.50 or $2.25 each, plus a shared sourdough roll w/butter and garlic for a total of ~$5.10 or $2.55 each. I sent three servings home with RGD as leftovers. I turned my two small servings into a pot of soup by adding another quart of homemade broth from the freezer, cutting up the two small pieces of meat into cubes and slicing up the carrots and dicing the potatoes a bit smaller. I put that all back into the pot with the "leftovers," adding the remainder of a container of "power greens" to the soup mix, so that I didn't have to throw them away by Friday. Adding another $1.50 of greens to the soup pot boosted its health benefit, and I made a total of three quarts/liters of a delicious soup with an amazing broth. So, those three quarts of soup break down to ~$1.50 per quart or $0.75 for a hearty two-cup portion. Now, I am ready to have a cup of herbal tea, compliments of a friend here on myLot. I am so grateful , and each time I sip a cup of the tea, I am reminded of the warmth of her friendship. Photo is my own.
@Deepizzaguy (60639)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@wolfgirl569 (48242)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad the ribs turned out so good
They were nice. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this meal from the past.
@wolfgirl569 (48242)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner I have pork ribs in the freezer I will make sometime. Was going to use the big slow cooker that the cats broke. Now I have to use the oven. I like how I can just drop things in the slow cooker and do other stuff
@wolfgirl569 I got rid of all my crock pots, but the instant pots both have slow cook features.
@LindaOHio (82421)
Short ribs and potatoes sound absolutely delicious. It's been 50 years since I saw short ribs in the store.
I never cared for the ones w/bone, but the commissary meat department also cuts a section into a boneless section, so it's like a nice size thinner chuck steak (where the short rib comes from). It didn't take too long, and I cooked it atop the stove. It was delicious.
@LindaOHio (82421)
@TheSojourner $4.50 per pound is actually reasonable these days.
@LindaOHio that's what I bought them for, and then I found out that they are up $2 a pound from when I bought them a couple of months ago.
@sinari (3298)
Your short ribs and carrots look delicious. Happy eating
Thanks. I love cooked carrots this way.
@sinari (3298)
@TheSojourner I think carrots are a healthy food.
@sinari They are, most certainly
@lovebuglena (36837)
• Staten Island, New York
Looks very appetizing. Makes me crave for some short ribs. Haven't made them in a long time.
I am so happy to have found the boneless cut. I'm going to pick up a couple more packages of them if I see them again.
@lovebuglena (36837)
• Staten Island, New York
@TheSojourner I am not sure I've seen any without the bones.
@lovebuglena they're like a flat chuck steak small.
Delicious and your certainly stretched your budget. How nice that you got herbal tea from a mylotter
Thanks. I am very grateful, indeed!
Very good use of all that food and it looks delicious,.
Thanks, Marlina.
@Rashnag (25449)
• Surat, India
Glad to know about it. It looks yummy. Glad that mylot friend gifted you. It's sweet
Thanks, and yes, she was sweet to do that!
good job!
Thanks, Jill!!!
@Janet357 (75518)
oh someone sent you a tea, That must be a very kind Mylotter.
Yes, I was quite surprised, and very grateful. I am not one who gets surprised too often.
You did a lot with the short ribs and it all sounds really good to me.
I know that RGD appreciates the meat, potatoes, veggies, gravy. I'm more of a broth and soup gal. Best of both worlds, I suppose. He got what he did, and I was able to make up all the soup. Yay! Thanks so much.