College and Marriage

A few of you had asked me about my little fun fact that I put in my very first discussion which read: “College and Marriage are like siblings.” I had this thought recently and I’m glad you asked because I did not get a chance to think about past the feeling. So College and Marriage are similar in that they both are supposed to be some big, checkpoint in life. The occasion of both is often portrayed as a great point in life, one to be thoroughly enjoyed. You also in college meet all these people, in marriage you have met ‘that person.’ Usually heard of as something family and friends support and are proud of. They both cost a lot of money if done the way you would really want them to be. I believe since both of my experiences that I was not ready for either. I’m close to graduating college and it’s draining without everything you need. A little boy who’s three came from my first. If one isn’t awake as an adult , or have the right people around you then entirely both experiences can be made out to be unsatisfactory. They say they have been there before just any random person believes they have been where you have been. Your story is unique to your own and we all may go through similar things but as much as people say negative you have to find the positive and believe in yourself. Especially if all you get is resistance. Oh and you can’t certainly boo hoo your whole life away feeling sorry when we all have the power to change things, I say that as my journey is Behind most and I just stop comparing and complaining. For me personally I found that marriage and college are both jokes to everyone else I know making the two events siblings.
@lovebuglena (36790)
• Staten Island, New York
We all have the power to change things but can we actually get it done? Can we push past the fear, the self-doubt, and the lack of confidence to at least try to make the necessary changes in life?
As I get older taking responsibility for every area of my life is the only constant. If one doesn’t change things, change will be forced and that’s usually not the way
@lovebuglena (36790)
• Staten Island, New York
@justinraywhitney90 Change shouldn't be forced on someone by others.
Tiresome thinking about it! Almost need some cognitive behavioral therapy in some folks
@sharonelton (6825)
• Lichfield, England
I wouldn't know anything about that because I haven't done either!
Then you are one of the smart ones, Wait until you know for sure if ever you wish to do either
• Lichfield, England
@justinraywhitney90 Well, I think it's a bit late for me for the college one, although they do do adult learning classes don't they? As for the second I really need to find a nice fella if I'm to stay off the streets! I mean my Mum and Step-Dad aren't getting any younger! And my brother won't want me to live with him!
@sharonelton well I am in my early thirties and take my classes online. I started trying a local community college at 26 to find that I was one of the oldest people there. Well the nice fellas are probably broke get you a mean one and you’ll be set
@Kouponkaren (2312)
Congratulations on being almost done with college. I am sure you will be relieved when you are finished.
Thank you I am waiting for that day. I currently have 84/120 credits so about 70 percent.
@ElicBxn (61552)
You have some very valid points here. I have done both College and Marriage. Getting out of College really meant to me that now I had to get a job and, hopefully, get a place of my own. It happened. It cost my folks a lot of money I'm sure, but I didn't graduate with any debt. Good thing since I never earned very much after it. However, I didn't find my special person in College. I found a friend to live with after College, but it wasn't marriage. In August of 2016 my now wife was saying that we needed to get wills done and they'd cost about $80 each... I told her that I might as well marry her, it would be cheaper. She turned to me and said: "Is that a proposal?" I thought about it for a moment and said: "I guess." This was on Thursday, August 18th, 2016. I flew to Tennessee the next day to go to my sister's wedding to her wife on August 20th. I flew back on the 22nd. The next day my now wife and I went and got a marriage certificate. We were married on the 28th by the same gal who married my brother to his wife the previous October. My brother's daughter had been married the year before, so in less than 2 years, everyone in the family were married. My niece was married Sept 27th, 2014. My brother, her father, got married Oct 17th, 2015 and then my sister and I got married the following August. The difference was that my brother's real marriage was small, but he had a big shindig the following May because as a CPA that's when he had money. My sister had almost all of summer to arrange her wedding and her wife has only one sister but her sister had a couple of sons and they each had 4 kids each. And then there were their friends, a lot of friends. The wife and I had less than a week, which was fine with us. We had it at a friend's house and had maybe 12 or 13 people there. Then we drove out to a restaurant that was safe for me to eat at and wouldn't break the budget for our friends.
@askme123 (3109)
Life is what you make it. Some people enjoy their college years. Some people have successful marriages. It is not all gloomy.for everyone.
They are indeed both big events, milestones in one’s life. And they impact different people differently. I think some people are affected more deeply than others… And both college and marriage can be joyful and positive but they can also both be a failure and negative. I can see your meaning behind them being siblings. I personally have been married and am close to divorce seeing as my separation has reached a year. I also tried community college a long time ago but my anxiety got in the way. Two failures for me.
I've done both. Your comparison of college and marriage seems rather strained to me. The title of your post is clever, though. I fell for it.
@soymex (1028)
• Bucharest, Romania
And marriage and college are very big responsibilities! Only in college they are not so big, risks to go out with black eyes after an argumen