How much money did you lose after the Social Security benefit increase of 5.9% this year?

Olney, Illinois
In a typical Government move, Social Security benefit payments in the U.S.A. went up 5.9% at the beginning of 2022. Meanwhile, the amount I pay monthly for Part D drug coverage went up 900% on January 1 2022. (Yes, 900%, that is not a typo) Along with the co-pay I've been charged for my prescriptions so far this month, I am actually at a net loss of about $2. Why am I not surprised?
I feel your pain. My salary went up over the $80,000 mark this year. In NJ teachers have to pay a percentage of the medical insurance premium and it is on a sliding scale based on how much you make. The more you earn the higher a percentage you pay. The brackets are in $10,000 increments. Soooo my earnings increased but they are taking even more out of each paycheck. With that and the increase in the cost of everything I always feel like I'm going backwards.
• Olney, Illinois
I am more than just a tad annoyed by it. I thought I'd have a bit more of a 'cushion' with the increase, but nope.
@PhredWreck as you should be
• Walnut Creek, California
I think I'll continue to play the role of pauper for now.
@wolfgirl569 (53383)
• Marion, Ohio
They always find a way not to truly give anything
• Olney, Illinois
Or to give it to big business instead of the average consumer.
@FourWalls (42239)
@PhredWreck — hey, somebody’s gotta pay for all those “free’ covid vaccines…….
@wolfgirl569 (53383)
• Marion, Ohio
@FourWalls And you know who it always is
@BarBaraPrz (36582)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
The government giveth and the government taketh away...
• Walnut Creek, California
No kidding.
@kobesbuddy (148393)
• East Tawas, Michigan
One lady said that she was so happy about her SS raise. They proceeded to take away benefits, thus she has less to live on. I've received a raise in my SS benefits. Only God knows where this amount will be deducted. Probably through the type B Medicare payment. Jay and I are both surviving, that's it.
• Olney, Illinois
IL will still pay my part B.
@kobesbuddy (148393)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@PhredWreck My paperwork was goofed up for Part B. The reason, Jay was still working and I had full coverage through Blue Cross. I didn't need a second health insurance, for about five years.
@FourWalls (42239)
Thankfully, i won’t need Part D because of the VA. And I’m not drawing so-so security yet, either. It’s funny, my health insurance only went up three dollars this year. I guess the benefits went way down, though…..
@RubyHawk (58988)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It wasn’t a real increase at all. Just higher insurance premiums.
• Olney, Illinois
That's what mine amounts to
@RubyHawk (58988)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@PhredWreck At least we got a little something to go on insurance.
900%? Oh wow! What are you going to do?
• Olney, Illinois
Pay it. Nothing else I can do.
@bunnybon7 (51571)
• Holiday, Florida
@PhredWreck and go without more things we need.
@bunnybon7 (51571)
• Holiday, Florida
exactly. That is what I was just telling my kids. Whoopty doo ! small raise in my check and my insurance was raised on co pays about 50 bucks a month for 2 visits from my different doctors. plus prescriptions cost more.
Our CPP (Canada Pension Plan) deductions went from 5.45% to 5.7% effective the first of this year. There are just so many people who are not working, collecting unemployment due to covid that they need a cash infusion from those of us who are working. Sad to think that those not working, some of which could very well be employed, will reap the benefits from our deductions.
• Walnut Creek, California
You mean the government is not out there just to help up? And no, I will not ask 900% of what.
@Fa_Maverick (8262)
with how much things are going up they're going to start taxing you to breathe.
And inflation has not reached its top yet.
@LindaOHio (91468)
I'm afraid all of us retirees are in the same boat. It sucks.
The company I worked for for forty years pays my insurance so I get my full Social Security check and the prescriptions did not go up either. Some are even free.