What is YOUR French Toast?

Los Angeles, California
I know some of you eat/make French toast . My version of it is soaking bread into egg with cinnamon, cooking it in a pan, then serving it with maple syrup. Mom dipped bread into egg, fried it, and sprinkled sugar on top. A friend's mom made it with premade pancake batter and bread. What is considered to be French toast in your home? I bet you know what we'll be having for breakfast today .
@PhredWreck (7641)
• Olney, Illinois
Whup up a coupla eggwards 'n toss a bit o' sin-a-man in and whup it 'nuther time 'r two 'n then dip m' breadsky 'n then fry it 'n then douse it with maple surple.
@FourWalls (43889)
That’s a good recipe. Perchance.
Wut - no moonshine in yer respee ?
@sol_cee (31441)
I like putting milk in the egg mixture. You don’t?
@Babino (5850)
• Morocco
I add milk even to my scrambled eggs.
@sol_cee (31441)
@Babino on yeah me too occasionally it’s fluffier that way
@sol_cee @Babino It never dawned on me to put in milk! I'll try it. We used to put it in scrambled eggs but forgot about that. I guess it would make the egg stuff soak into the bread better too?
@TheSojourner (47498)
I have never been a fan of French toast, but when I used to make it, when my daughter was still at home, I scrambled up an egg with a bit of mix and cinnamon, dip the bread, and then cook it up in butter in a skillet. Covered with butter, fruit, and syrup.
I didn't even know what French toast was until later on in life . What fruits did you put on top ?
@much2say either sliced apples or berries or peaches
@TheSojourner Yummy - and makes it healthier .
@1creekgirl (31862)
I cook mine exactly like yours. I really love to use French bread when I have it.
I haven't tried it with French bread . . . I imagine it would have crispier edges/crust?
@1creekgirl (31862)
@much2say Oh yes, it's so yummy.
@1creekgirl Ok, that will be another thing to add to my experimental list .
I do mine like you, but I add a splash of vanilla.
I don't know what it never dawned on me to put in vanilla . . . I'm going to do that next time .
@much2say I think you’ll like it. I’ve used almond extract too.
@Tampa_girl7 Ohhh, that's a neat twist - I gotta try that too !
Egg, milk a wee bit of salt and nutmeg bread of course.. I might make some tomorrow. I have a ton of bread and a new pan I want to try out.
A new pan - that's exciting ! I have tons of bread right now too - so that's a plan for my weekends too!
@much2say I'd freeze some but no room in either freezer for that.
@snowy22315 We have no room in the freezer either .. . . I am still stuck with more bread .
@Babino (5850)
• Morocco
There's no french toast in my home actually. In Morocco, buying round bread is way more common. It's also cheaper. Buying a pack of toast can cost 2$, and buying a round break is 0.2$
So when you say toast, do you mean the whole square/rectangle loaf of bread? That's amazing the round loafs are much cheaper there!
@Babino (5850)
• Morocco
@much2say it's sold like this. The round ones, and the long ones.. both 0.2$ each. So it's wy better than toast.
@Babino All of that looks so beautiful and delicious ! Any of those would cost way more here.
@moffittjc (105101)
• Gainesville, Florida
I do it the way you do it, but I have also sprinkled powdered sugar on top before as well.
I totally forgot about the powdered sugar - others have mentioned that as well.
@moffittjc (105101)
• Gainesville, Florida
@much2say It’s delicious either way…with syrup or with powdered sugar. Or with both! Lol
@moffittjc Both !
@oahuwriter (23424)
I use 1 egg for 1 piece of bread. Add almond milk whip it together, dip bread and soak it in mixture. Fry it up in olive oil & butter till nice & almost golden. Serve with maple syrup & bacon bits.
We have almond milk on hand - I should try that. Bacon bits sounds interesting - will have to try that !
@oahuwriter (23424)
@much2say Ok. It's what I like. French toast is delicious any way you cook it up.
@oahuwriter Can't really mess it up, right?
@ShyBear88 (53373)
When I do it I scramble the eggs, put some cinnamon, brown sugar or regular sugar and also vanilla extract dip the bread into on both sides then fry them in the pan. The kids decided I’d they want powered sugar or syrup or both. I also have do this with gluten free bread with my young’s so his is done first and the stuff gets soaked up quickly and cooks quicker.
I'll have to try it with the brown sugar - and add some vanilla in too. I totally forgot about the powdered sugar. Ah, gluten free bread - is there are a particular brand that is working well for him?
@ShyBear88 (53373)
@much2say he doesn’t have a favorite brand of gluten free bread. He eats whatever we find at the store. He has been eating this way since the age of 2 so he isn’t picky.
@ShyBear88 That's awesome he is not picky! At one time we tried to find gluten free bread that suited our tastes, but many of them were just dry . . . I guess we're too picky.
@kobesbuddy (150710)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I add a little milk into the beaten egg mixture, before cooking it. Usually, I sprinkle sugar on my French toast. Jay eats maple syrup on his.
I'm glad to hear others sprinkle sugar too . . . I thought my mom was the only one who did this . So does the milk make the egg soak through the bread better?
@kobesbuddy (150710)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@much2say I must be careful, not to add too much milk.
@kobesbuddy Ah, gets too soggy? Or is it lactose intolerance (that's me ).
@DaddyEvil (81360)
GROSS! Once in a great while Pretty makes that mess for herself but I don't stick around to see how she makes it.
Really? What is gross about it (just curious, I hope it's not due to another thing your brother told you )? Are you not a pancake/waffle person either ?
@DaddyEvil (81360)
@much2say Pretty eats all of those but I'm not a fan. French Toast that I've actually seen might still have raw egg inside the bread. I'll pass on that.
@DaddyEvil I know what you mean. But I don't get too grossed out over raw egg. I grew up on eating sukiyaki . . . simmered beef and vegetables - dipped in a bowl of scrambled raw egg before eating. Thus far I haven't gotten sick . You must not like fried eggs that are runny - Hubby doesn't like that - but again, I grew up on that.
@thelme55 (75245)
I just make basic. Dipping the toast bread in egg and milk mixture with salt before putting it in the oven. That’s it. I have not made it for decades.
Decades, wow! I had never put in milk before - oh but you do it in the oven (I always do it in the pan). Honestly I'd still rather have kim chee fried rice .
@thelme55 (75245)
@much2say yes, kimchi fried rice is tastier than French toast.
@thelme55 I wonder if we can come up with some recipe using kim chee and toast!
• Midland, Michigan
Soak it in egg, fry it then use some type of sugar in top or syrup. Growing up we didn't, couldn't use syrup just confectioners sugar in top.
What is "step"? I just rediscovered the confectioners sugar for it!
• Midland, Michigan
@much2say sorry. That should have said syrup.
@MarshaMusselman Oh syrup! I didn't grow up on the real stuff . . . we had Log Cabin or the like - the sugary concoction whatever that was .
@MarieCoyle (5509)
I used to be really basic, but I've refined it somewhat. Beaten eggs in a bowl, a tiny splash of milk but not much. Add cinnamon, about a teaspoon of real vanilla. Dunk it in and get it really saturated, then the hot skillet. Serve it with real maple syrup, none of that Log Cabin or it's followers. If you're going to go to all that trouble, eat the good syrup. Once you have it, you won't go back.
I've been reading up on what "real" French toast is supposed to be - it sounds a lot like yours! I am so lazy that I just beat the eggs (with a fork) on the plate I'm going to use to dunk the bread in . Oh yes, the real deal maple syrup is a must. I grew up on the Log Cabin stuff and that's basically sugary goo with who knows what else is in it. Maple syrup sure is a whole lot more expensive but totally worth it (even has some real nutrients, I read!).
@much2say The real stuff tastes so much better. I can't even try to eat the fake stuff now, it just tastes bad to me.
@MarieCoyle Right? Sorry, Mrs. Butterworth .
I hate French toast Hope you all enjoyed your breakfast.
Really? Do you not like pancake/waffles? Very carby anyway . I enjoy eating period .
@much2say I had a virus when I was little. My father made French toast and I vomited. Ever since........
@DianneN Ah, now I get it. My son gets that way about chocolate pudding . . . he had chocolate pudding one day and the next day he was sick (I think he had been getting sick anyway, it wasn't because of the pudding). But now he forever associates chocolate pudding with being sick.
I don't eat French toast but not because I'm German but because I'm not too keen on it. :-)
Is such a thing as German toast? I was just joking and looked it up . . . apparently there is a recipe out there for German French toast . . . like French toast but with muenster cheese on it!
@much2say Germans do eat toast, but the term 'German toast' doesn't exist. I don't eat Münster cheese, though. If I'm not mistaken it's the one which stinks so horribly.
@MALUSE Ah, toast is toast. The kind of muenster (Münster) we get does not seem to smell (to us anyway) - a nice, melting cheese. I just read about Arme Ritter . . . could that be German version of French toast?
I dip two slices of bread in a egg with cinnamon and than fix over the stove.
That is essentially what I do too!
@much2say It is so good that way.
@jstory07 Simple and good .
@RebeccasFarm (65437)
Like your way Much..that is exactly how I do mine. I love that stuff too
One day we shall have that breakfast chat together - lovely food and company !
@much2say We should and we will
• Israel
@much2say I have not had it in ages. I only eat one piece so do not make it. When I did I dipped the bread in egg batter and cannot remember did something with milk. Like I said I have not made it in ages. Enjoy your french toast.
I think I've made 1 or 2 slices only with one egg . . . cook it up and save it for another day. Someone else mentioned milk as well. Thank you - wish we could send one over to you .
• Israel
@much2say That is so sweet of you.