Don't bring work at home, would you?

By SS
Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
We are very much engaged in our jobs or we were. If it makes us happy, we talk on and on. If it's stressful, it's mentioning almost every day how tough it is. I know from my experience it isn't easy but dividing personal and business area is needed and we won't ignore or miss good things in our lives like, our primary family, hobbies, husband or wife, children and list goes on. I found myself in a situation, being happy with a job or not, I didn't want to talk about it but many think I was embarassed, which wasn't always true but, I ask you, is the job the only topic in the world that 2 or more people can talk? I think it isn't so, find other topics and leave work at work. Your opinion?
@thelme55 (75244)
No, I won’t bring work at home. If possible.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
that is good. we don't need additional stress, don't we?
@thelme55 (75244)
@moonandstars Yes, you are right.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@thelme55 my lips slip some bad experiences but, i want to be focused, for example, on a neighbour painting his fence. that joy
That's a funny photo you've found here!
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
thank you. i wanted one to showhow i feel when someone bugs me with their work activities
When I was still working with the local government agency here, I always bring my work home. Working is not enough there before.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
well, your online work is different. i meant more of talking about your job on and on.
@moonandstars I do agree with that. The good thing is that I do not need to deal with incompetent staff in the company. If they do some changes, I just ignore them.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Shavkat ignoring is the best policy. i think you said this sentence, once upon a time
@nela13 (50580)
• Portugal
I have so many things to do at home that it would be madness bring more work.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i agree. very well said
@nela13 (50580)
• Portugal
@moonandstars The work should stay in the work, at home we have our private life.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@nela13 that is right. i mean, it may sound cheesy but i really wish to know more about people planting, about weather, people's favourite colours, taste in music/films, general topics.
@Sojourn (13216)
If you run a business, then most of your talks might involve work only, but otherwise, its useless to do conversations about work only unless the job market is extremely volatile.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
well, yes, but not 24 hours a day, i hope.
@Sojourn (13216)
@moonandstars If 24 hours a day, then the person will go mad. He/She needs to eat and sleep at least
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Sojourn that is right. food is a good topic or just eating and enjoying
@RebeccasFarm (65437)
Yes if it all possible, I do not think taking work life home to talk about incessantly good or bad is the ticket. I love that photo..hahahah
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i mean, some conversations yes but forming strategies for 5 years from now and other things. thanks, i like that man in the front row
@dgobucks226 (30321)
I understand what you're saying. Like most things in our lives there has to be a balance. Work is part of your identity so it's reasonable that this topic is part of your social conversions along with hobbies and interests. I also think the type of job you have impacts whether you bring work home or not. As a former teacher what I could not finish in school had to be done at home, like paper grading and preparing future lessons, in order to do my job at the highest level. Other occupations require this too, as emergencies might arise where this is needed. However, your job should not be all consuming to the point you leave nothing else in your life.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
you summed it up perfectly. yes, i still talk some things about my work, who doesn't but i don't want to be overwhelmed with it all the time. and, balance, that is a an important word former teacher, really?
@dgobucks226 (30321)
@moonandstars Yes, and the way schools are in my country today, I have to say for me, I'm glad I'm retired. Now I have free time to balance a lot of different things
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@dgobucks226 i am glad for you too.
@yoalldudes (31610)
It would be nice if we can control our minds once we get home but we are humans and when something bothers us it is stuck in our minds. But I do agree with you to try and separate work life and personal life. We are not our job after all.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i agree. i mean, over the years, i've noticed i was only happy to work. it's getting tougher and i want some small moments of hapiness. also, i don't want to scare away people talking only about my job. some can talk and talk, i can't
@yoalldudes (31610)
@moonandstars Oh for sure we got to live not just make a living.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@yoalldudes that is so true.
@askme123 (5303)
Well some persons have no choice but to work from home.Especially during the pandemic Sometimes I wish I could when you have to hustle and bustle through traffic . Another time I don't want to hear the word work. I just need some sleep and rest .I just turn of my phone.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
well, that is healthy, switching off. it doesn't matter where you work, it is important not to be overwhelmed with it. we deserve some rest and dedicating to ourselves, don't we?
@askme123 (5303)
@moonandstars Yes we owe it to ourselves indeed.So we can remain healthy and happy.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@askme123 you are right. very well said.
As a reporter my work hours would be unpredictable , no one to chat to at home about work. When l get home my brother would be sleeping or working on some science invention in his room, mom would be sleeping and my sister would be out.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
that is unfortunate. i mean, some small schat is needed. bugging is other thing.
• Rockingham, Australia
Certainly, it's good to talk about other things but sometimes work is the only connection you might have with a person.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
that's what is sometimes sad, no other connection.
@db20747 (41146)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
I agree! There's other parts of life to enjoy
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
we are workers but we have ther parts in our lives as well. thanks!
There are plenty of other things to talk about besides jobs.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i know but some obviously to try harder or if it's normal to them, it's not to others.
I love talking to my friends about their jobs. One has a driving job and every day he has another adventure. I talk about my card as long as my eyes are open. My cards bring my life joy and fulfillment. My sister works in a school she leaves work at work. But they always say do something you love and you never really work. So I guess I am having fun around the clock.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
well, that's different. some ideas and that. nice!
@Ladanger (14630)
I am guilty of this and almost everyone I know is the same way. My friends always complain about their co workers and managers. I think most have stressful jobs.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
yes, complaining sometimes helps but not all the time and can turn into a nasty habit.
As a rule, it's best to leave work at work and to leave home at home. People talk about things they have in common. Work is one of them. I rarely discuss work with people I know unless they are involved in the same type of work. I may still share stories of events that happened at work with others but it's not very often. I end up in conversations about other things we have in common.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
ocassional sharing is nothing bad but if it all starts and ends with work, it's waste of our lives, i feel. i had to abandon some acquintances cause that was their only topic.
@kaylachan (34298)
I don't think I can judge. I work from home doing freelance odd jobs like servuries and things like that. And, my husband still works for Pizza Hut. We talk about other things, but we talk about our work, too. I think it's natural because it acts like stress relief.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
that is good. i meant if it's 24/7 talking and talking
I never talked about my job at home unless something funny happened.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
that is great. i sometimes say something from work but i would like to hear what others were doing, how was their day, are they happy and other.
@CarolDM (186882)
I used to leave my issues at work if possible.