Salvaging food for an unconventional lunch

After cleaning my refrigerator, I decided to make my lunch with some things that I needed to use. It may be an unconventional lunch, but it was actually quite delicious. A couple of spoons of rendered bacon fat, sliced mushrooms, two small steamed red potatoes, garlic, a shake of Worcestershire sauce, and the sprinkling of homegrown dried parsley became my lunch. It was actually quite tasty. Tonight, I will have to pay attention to protein and making a salad. But, for now, my belly is filled. Photo is my own.
I like mushrooms, I like to remove the heads, chop the rest, add chopped parsley and garlic, cook in butter, fill the heads and bake 15 minutes in a hot oven, a lot better than escargots.
That sounds yummy. I love mushrooms of all kinds.
@TheSojourner - Same as you, I love mushrooms, particularly the wild "porcini", but they are becoming too much expensive.
Sounds delicious.
@RubyHawk (59468)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I just put carrots, onions, yellow squash peas and noodles in the crockpot . They weren’t near spoiling but I needed to use them before I go shopping again.
That was very smart. I just decided to cook on top of the stove and clear my refrigerator out of a little bit more. But I had to add some things to my freezer by doing it. LOL
@RubyHawk (59468)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheSojourner The only freezer I have is in my refrigerator and it doesn’t hold a lot.
@RubyHawk that's the freezer that I have, but I think it's a little bit larger than some of the freezers I've had on top the refrigerator. I have an ice maker on the inside of there, as well, which I don't like having in there. It's a space waster! LOL
@SonjaRae (5781)
How do you make refrigerator scraps look so good???
It's a skill, sister!
@SonjaRae (5781)
@TheSojourner The Artist!
@Deepizzaguy (65365)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
The odd meal that you had for lunch was great for you since you enjoyed it a lot.
I did!
@Deepizzaguy (65365)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@wolfgirl569 (53695)
• Marion, Ohio
That does sound good
It was great! At least I don't have any almost slimy mushrooms to use up! The ones I have I just bought yesterday not realizing I still have these in there.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
Rendered bacon fat is a must in my kitchen. This looks delicious!
I remember my favorite auntie on my dad's side, who was from Oklahoma and Tennessee... She had an aluminum grease canister on her stove for all of the fat that came from bacon or sausage.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@TheSojourner I have one of those rubbermaid with lid heavy duty Tupperware like containers for grease. I use it to season eggs and other stuff lol.
@thislittlepennyearns I have an old set of aluminum canisters that I wish I had a grease canister to match. :-)
That'd be a fancy lunch for me! Do you keep the rendered bacon fat in the fridge/freezer (like in a jar?) . . . I really should save that stuff.
I didn't find this fancy, I was just trying to use up what I had so I didn't have to throw it away! LOL and I just had a little bit of the Bacon fat left over from the night before in my cast iron skillet. I had not yet washed it or thrown it away! I don't save that kind of stuff because I don't eat it very often. Had it not been the bacon grease, it would have been Olive oil.
@TheSojourner I mostly don't "cook" for lunch . . . either heating up leftovers or just eating ingredients rights out of the fridge . So this is fancy for me . And oohhhh, have to admit that bacon fat makes things taste SO good!!!
@much2say oh, I get it now! And yes, a little bit of bacon fat goes a long way.
@kaylachan (33059)
As long as it tastes good, right? That's all that really matters to me. My evening meal is sometimes unhealthy breakfast food.
I didn't know breakfast foods were unhealthy? I sometimes eat oatmeal at dinner time with some chopped apples and walnuts
@kaylachan (33059)
@TheSojourner Well, things like waffles and pancakes themselves aren't. But I drown them in syrup.
@kaylachan yeah, I guess that would do it! LOL
@LeaPea2417 (33536)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I think it is great to mix leftovers and make a new meal. I do it quite often.
I didn't have any leftovers to do that with, but I was glad I had these that I could put together and turn into something to eat!
@LeaPea2417 (33536)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@LeaPea2417 some of my favorite meals have been taking leftovers and turning it into a soup of some sort.
I always eat at least 15 gr of protein at every meal.
Typically, I eat protein with every meal of some sort. But I wasn't in the mood.
@TheSojourner , I can understand that~
@Dena91 (17696)
That is a great way to use up things before they go bad. Your lunch looks really good.
Thank you! It was quite tasty. I'm not sure if I liked it or my dinner more! LOL
@Dena91 (17696)
@LindaOHio (92048)
Mushrooms and potatoes == yum!