You are going to eat WHAT??

I do not generally watch morning television, but turned the TV on to happen on "Hoda & Jenna" on their "Yum or Yuk" segment. I learned this morning that today is "National Eat-What-You-Want-Day." (There is a day for everything, according to nationaldaycalendar.com.) The first dish they tried was cereal in orange juice, reminiscing about doing that as children. That is not something I have ever tried, as a child or an adult. Nor have I tried the Hot Dog Banana Salad Sandwich, as shown, thanks to Pixabay.com. Many people avoid all sorts of foods, because they are: On a weight loss diet, or because what they want costs too much, or because it's just not good to eat too much of it, or for any number of other reasons. But, today is the day that gives you permission to cast caution to the wind, and forget being sensible! It can be an unusual combination or a mega-size of potato chips or... So, if you need an excuse, or a special day to eat-what-you-want, what will be your splurge today?
https://www.today.com/video/orange-juice-and-cereal-hoda-and-jenna-try-unusual-food-combos-139777605593
@sabtraversa (13380)
Salami with either fig jam or Nutella, not that uncommon but some people will still frown at it. Generally I don't like hot dogs, the one in the picture is no exception.
Oh, there are a few of us that will frown at Nutella! Isn't that right, @LadyDuck? I know what you mean about the one in the picture. That's just gross!!
@TheSojourner Nutella NEVER, fig jam is great, I make it at home mainly to serve with mature cheese.
@sabtraversa Fresh figs and salame (or Prosciutto di Parma) is a good pairing, Nutella in my opinion only pairs well with the trash can.
Shame I did not know, but I worked a lot outside and yesterday I had an ice cream and also chocolate, so finally I had what I wanted.
Then, you celebrated the day!
@TheSojourner I did. I was watching a movie, I had an ice cream, I paused and decided to get also some dark chocolate. I burnt calories in the garden yesterday.
@LadyDuck the perfect way to include calories back into your diet!
• Midland, Michigan
If I are what I wanted if have a hamburger with potatoes chips over the burger. I've had that before but sure why I tried it in the past but it's good. The banana hot dog looks gross. I can't imagine people trying that.
I think it's the salt and crunch of the potato chips. :-) I know....that was gross. I thought it was brilliant to use, when I saw it on Pixabay!
• Midland, Michigan
@TheSojourner I agree that it was a great find to use the pic. I've not used pixabay in years.
@MarshaMusselman it's my go-to place for free pictures
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
You know me well enough to know that I am going to darn well eat whatever I please. I made french toast and scrambled cheese eggs for breakfast this morning. Then I ate a couple of bites of the other half's party pizza at lunch and just ate a drumstick ice cream a little bit ago. LOL. But I really want some hummus not. So maybe when we go to Walmart later.
There you go!! Of course, you will do what you please! I'd expect nothing less! ;-) I'm surprised you don't make your own hummus from scratch. One of my favorite things to make now
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@TheSojourner I have before. I am the only one who eats it. So it doesn't make sense for me to make a big batch. I wonder if Walmart would have the ingredients, or if I would have to go to Whole Foods in Destin.
@thislittlepennyearns The most expensive thing would be the tahini, but you can buy sesame seeds at Walmart, and as long as you have a high-powered blender, or a mortar and pestle, it's easy to grind the sesame seeds, and add a bit of olive oil to help pulverize it. Same with the garbanzos (I usually use one can)...and of course lemon and garlic, and anything else you want to add. I have done similar with a variety of beans, not just the garbanzos.
@Torunn (8595)
• Norway
I don't really need an excuse to eat what I want. I would eat the banana hot dog if I was starving, but really, why? Why don't they fry it and eat it with ice-cream instead? I would like some sushi without all the stupid stuff the put in it here. Too much cream cheese, strawberries etc in the maki rolls. I could use the day for that, but it somehow doesn't seem crazy enough :-)
I know what you mean (cream c heese, strawberries in the rolls. YUK)
@Torunn (8595)
• Norway
@TheSojourner It's just too much other stuff, I want fish, rice and the stuff they roll them in. Something crisp is nice, but strawberries are just wrong.
@Torunn I'm not even much of a roll fan. Give me the sushi rice, and the piece of raw fish over the top, and call it good! Of course, I like a little bit of wasabi and soy.
When I was a youngster I liked mustard. I put it in my ice cream and even made mustard and peanut butter sandwiches. I would probably try mackerel. I never have and wonder what it tastes like.
Mustard in your ice cream? Mustard and peanut butter? Are you talking the yellow French's mustard or specialty mustard? I DID like the stone-ground back then. You could only find those small round jars of Ingelhoffer mustard. I could eat it out of the jar with a spoon. I did that once to the jar of it, and got beat for it. It was my "father's mustard."
@TheSojourner .........French's yellow mustard. Your story makes me angry.
@celticeagle Yeah...me, too. Now, I buy the biggest Ingelhoffer I can find. LOL
My 2 daughters (Tania more than Claudia) eat because it is healthy. JEEEZZZUUUZZZ!!!! One has to eat because it is yummy first! I´m sure that I will never want to eat S**t! But I have tried and found delightful many unusual dishes. Tania told me the last time she came that Diego has bought some blood sausage with his allowance. She doesn´t buy it because blood is not healthy according to her. The next time Diego comes, I´ll have a big amount of blood sausage for both. It is easy. I just have to cook them and cook some potatoes.
Finding the balance between health and yumminess can be tricky! I think you and I have found a good balance. As far as blood sausage goes, it's not my favorite. I have eaten it, though!! Does she eat meat? There is blood that runs through those tissues, as I recall.
@TheSojourner She told me that the cholesterol level in blood sausage was too big. But Tania eats meat. As for my health, I let my body decide.
@marguicha I ate whatever I want, even though certain things are problematic for me. I deal with the result of that, which is my own stupidity. I just have to not eat those huge bags of kettle cooked potato chips! LOL
@kobesbuddy (148760)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I won't be splurging today, it would be something I continue to do tomorrow and the next day. But, I'd like some fried chicken and French fries. Then, nothing else. Eating low fat is fine, but it also binds me to this eating plan.
I know what you mean. You're doing well following your plan.
@kobesbuddy (148760)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheSojourner Since we switched to olive oil, both of us have lower cholesterol levels.
@kobesbuddy That is so wonderful!
• Israel
@TheSojourner I will stick to what I eat and eat it in moderation. I have never eaten cereal with orange juice and the other you mentioned.
Always in moderation! That's the best way.
• Israel
@TheSojourner I try to eat in moderation the things I like to eat.
@Hannihar I agree! Although, I can overindulge on popcorn!
@oahuwriter (22583)
Ok, but sticking to milk or cream with cereal and hotdogs with all mustard and sweet relish .
And I certainly won't be replacing the hot dog with a banana!
@oahuwriter (22583)
@TheSojourner A nice corn dog with mustard is good.
@oahuwriter the best part of that corn dog is the cornbread coating!
@kaylachan (33127)
I don't know might have some ice cream here in a bit. My body is telling me I'm hungry, but my pain levels make me want to reject everything.
Oh, I'm so sorry about the pain. Is there anything you can take for it? Ice cream might be the effective remedy. :-)
@kaylachan (33127)
@TheSojourner Yes, I took a bunch of stuff. It's a high pain day, that seems to have eased by now.
@kaylachan I am so sorry you have to endure that, Kayla. Hug.
@wolfgirl569 (53819)
• Marion, Ohio
I will stick with my junior mint candy.
You and RGD have something in common. He loves Junior mints.
@wolfgirl569 (53819)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner They are wonderful. I love peppermint patties too.
@wolfgirl569 York Peppermint Patties...Yup. Those two things... Also the milk chocolate liquid center cherries. I think that they are all gross. I'm an Andes mint gal, myself.
• Walnut Creek, California
Me neither. "The first dish they tried was cereal in orange juice, reminiscing about doing that as children. That is not something I have ever tried, as a child or an adult."
Do the little ones ever do that that you have seen?
@TheHorse that works!
I'm making beef stroganoff for dinner.
My mom made the BEST stroganoff. It was always one of those "company" dinners.
@TheSojourner My mom made it when I was growing up and then one day just stopped. I have no idea why. I don't think she's ever eaten it again. You know who and I made it after buying a tenderloin of beef on sale at the grocery store. I remembered how much I loved it and now cannot make it with any other cut of beef. I am ruined for life. The freaking beef for this alone cost me over $29
@NJChicaa That is when I would make it for one or two, and save some money. LOL
@RubyHawk (59618)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I wouldn’t dare do that.. I’ll stick to my diet
@RubyHawk (59618)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@SonjaRae (5875)
Reading this after I devoured 3 pieces of French toast! LOL Guilt be gone!
Absolutamente!!
@SonjaRae (5875)
@TheSojourner So, es bueno! Si, si
I have the feeling that those with diabetes will not be throwing caution to the wind.
well, maybe their eating what they want is to have a slice or half-slice of cinnamon raisin toast that they might not normally have. That's the joy of eat-what-you-want. It allows you to choose
Most of my friends are diabetic and they make it sound like they really have to stick with a tight diet. I'm just glad I'm not so that I eat what I want every day. YaY
Nope on the cereal with oj . And a nope on the banana sandwich (funny you actually found a pic for that!). I have no idea what I would want to eat on a splurge day . . . we haven't eaten at a restaurant in over a couple years now, so maybe I'd want to eat out (but what, I don't know ).
Oh come on! Costco might be able to sell that banana sandwich for a dollar! LOL
@KityCat (7016)
I love trying different combinations , but pretty sure the cereal is gonna be soggy in the orange juice , I wonder how the banana in sandwich will taste like Pretty weird combinations those two
I don't eat cereal because it gets soggy in milk! LOL
I really don’t need an excuse to eat what I want. I try to eat sensibly as much as I can.
That's the problem with getting older. We get too damned sensible! LOL