Could it be a gluten intolerance?

I have not been feeling well lately. It's been more than I can feel I can bear. The symptoms have presented in several ways. The most discomforting has been bowel issues, extreme joint pain, fatigue, and overall "blah" feeling. I had a conversation with Courtney (@MommyofEli2013) the other day, and she asked me if it might be a gluten intolerance. I had not thought of that to make a connection between the two. However, as I thought about it, my meals and snacks were much more bread and other gluten-laden ingredients. Perhaps, she had a point?! I was careful, except for one slice of sourdough bread for an egg salad sandwich, not to eat any foods with gluten for the rest of the day. This morning, as well, I pan-fried rice with leftover veggies and an egg for my breakfast. I did not have to deal with the gut issues overnight that I have experienced recently. As well, my joints are not screaming at me, as they have been. I am so grateful to Courtney for sharing her thoughts and knowledge. I don't yet know if this is what has been causing my recent issues, but she certainly has put it on my radar. Now, I need to pay better attention what I am putting into my body, and keeping a journal of foods, as well as symptoms.
Why not to get a simple blood test to screen for celiac disease? If you do, you must be on a diet that includes gluten to be sure it is accurate. I had it and I know I am not gluten intolerant.
I will certainly speak to my physician about that. I am doing my little experiment for right now! Until I can get in to see if that's an issue.
@TheSojourner - As I like food with gluten I wanted to be sure that my problem was not gluten. I know I am slightly lactose intolerant, this is why I only eat mature cheese and yogurt. I know that high fiber food is my main problem
@LadyDuck so many things offer us the damned if we do damned if we don't options. Ever since my diagnosis with this cancer, I have had to drastically change things that I eat. And I have dietitians telling me to eat certain things that I can't eat because of this cancer and, it frankly gets frustrating. It's why I have to pay attention to my own system and figure it out. I don't think that the medical community always knows as much as we want them to know. So much is still a mystery.
• Rupert, Idaho
That's good to hear that cutting most of the gluten items out that you did not have to deal with those issues. I have just researched a lot over the years about gluten and carbs and such being bad and the things you mentioned sounded like a bad reaction to gluten.
Well, I am going to start watching it more closely. Thanks again!
• Rupert, Idaho
@TheSojourner Well I am glad to be of help. And I should be taking my own advice and stick to my low carb lifestyle....but carbs are just too tempting lately
@MommyOfEli2013 I know what you mean. By the way, I want you to know that I have eaten absolutely no bread except for one slice of sourdough bread yesterday morning and one corn tortilla today. I have had no gut issues to speak of now in 2 days, and I don't feel as much pain in my joints, specifically my knees and hips, as I have the last week and a half. Coincidence? I don't know. But we'll see.
@kobesbuddy (148444)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I was diagnosed seven years ago with Celiac disease, which is simply put "gluten- intolerance." Whenever I eat wheat bread or pizza crust, I get bloated and a miserable cramping in my digestive tract. If I don't eat these items, all my symptoms go away.
I have been diagnosed with so many things that were not the case, when we found out that they were masked symptoms of Neuroendocrine Tumors/Cancer (NETs) and the "carcinoid syndrome" that it produces, that I don't (generally) trust new diagnoses from medical professionals unless there is actual scientific proof of it, not just conjecture. I'm not sure what tests might show specific dx of Celiac. But, it's worth me eliminating foods and starting to reintroduce and documenting my own observances.
@kobesbuddy (148444)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheSojourner When I eliminated gluten, my symptoms went away. How did he diagnose it, I guess with a scope through my mouth, down to my small intestine. I was under sedation, of course.
@kobesbuddy glucose or gluten? I know that carbohydrates ingested in any form can raise blood glucose. But gluten itself does not impact blood glucose. As I understand it, even gluten-free foods which contain carbs can have similar impact on blood glucose as carb-containing foods that do contain gluten. It's all a bit of a mystery, but we learn so much when we open our eyes, ears, brains to new knowledge
Ohhh, that just might be possible. I do have a few friends who swear that taking gluten out of their diets helped them tremendously with their health issues. One friend who has been gluten free maybe 15 years now said she had major headaches before - now those headaches are gone. If this is indeed the culprit, this could be a game changer .
I just have to figure out what it might be. I'm not going to eliminate everything from my diet right now, I will try one item at a time and check to see what happens. I'm going to see about dairy products, as well. I don't think that the yogurt or cheeses are issues. If they are, they might just need to be reduced a little bit. The same with the breads and pasta? I just have to check it out. And you're right it could be a game changer.
@TheSojourner I know, to eliminate completely is hard. Reducing sounds like a good idea - just have to figure out the tolerance amount. Since you are testing things out, maybe one more to consider are night shades (tomatoes, eggplants . . . there's a whole list). A friend's daughter had elbow pain and gut issues . . . they actually did a complete elimination diet (not easy for a teen) . . . and it turned out that night shades were doing something to her system too. We need to do this stuff here too . . . daughter and Hubby have skin issues.
@much2say don't tell me that about the nightshades! What the hell am I going to eat? LOL
@kaylachan (32931)
Sounds like she could've been right. As humans things tend to change at the drop of a hat. Who's to say that this isn't the case for you.
I will do what I can to see if it makes a difference. Part of it is recognizing the possibilities. Thanks.
@kaylachan (32931)
@TheSojourner You're welcome. My husband, George, had a similar problem with garlic. I hope you can resolve the issue.
@kaylachan I think that the aging process also jumps up to grab us and we don't see that coming after so many years.
@MarieCoyle (4674)
You do have a lot of the symptoms of gluten intolerance. I won't bother listing those, as you have no doubt looked it all up. Good that you are exploring this, if not true at least it can be eliminated. I know you love bread. I do, too, and I have had to learn to limit myself on it. I really hope you feel better very soon.
These symptoms are so inline with other symptoms caused by other medical issues. This is why it's so difficult to diagnose so many other things, and why I was dx'ed so late with this cancer. Thanks!
@TheSojourner I wish I could UNdiagnose you!
@MarieCoyle me, too. But, unfortunately, there is no cure for this cancer. So I get to live with it. Cuz I refuse to die of it.
@Kosgey (1682)
Thanks for your shared information which may be of help to many.and also getting well.
Thank you. I am glad that it gets the discussion going.
@Kosgey (1682)
@TheSojourner Thanks, you are more than welcome.
@SonjaRae (5589)
This is awesome sister! I am so glad that Courtney brought this up to you. Definitely something that might be as simple as causing so much of the discomfort that you have been experiencing. I will definitely send positive vibes into the universe for you!
Thank you so much. We really can learn a lot from people, when we're willing to share like decent human beings! Lol and, I heard judge Judy say today that that's why we were given two ears and one mouth. It's nice to be able to listen and really get people's experiences with things. Sometimes, it's not just enough to read some article about it. I'm so glad that she was willing to share with me her knowledge and experience.
@SonjaRae (5589)
@TheSojourner You’re most welcome! I agree with you and love Judge Judy’s statement! She’s a ball-buster. She pulls no punches when she speaks her mind.
@SonjaRae she's a toughie all right! I remember coming down to California and Mom seemed to love her.
@LeaPea2417 (33520)
• Toccoa, Georgia
My brother in law is gluten intolerant. When he finally realized it and started eating only gluten free, he feels a hundred percent better.
I am going to hopefully have some answers as I do my own experiment, and then I will speak to the doctors about it all.
@LeaPea2417 (33520)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@TheSojourner best wishes
@aninditasen (4568)
• Raurkela, India
Do you buy bread from the store? If so try making them at home to avoid gluten. Take sufficient pineapple and pomegranates. These fruits are good for your gut. Pineapple will keep your liver and endocrine good glands in good state and pomegranates will prevent loose motion. Balance your veggie and non-veg diet.
I do buy bread from the store, but usually very rustic breads with no preservatives. I will have to look into getting more pineapple and pomegranate. They can be difficult to come by here in our area sometimes. And very expensive. Thank you for that information, however. I did not realize that about pineapples effect on the liver and on the endocrine system. You seem to have a lot of knowledge on this topic. Were you trained in this or did you learn about it just through Reading and your healthy lifestyle?
• Raurkela, India
@TheSojourner I am a bio science graduate and read lot of books on food and nutrition when my sister was doing her graduation in Home science. Moreover we have read about vitamins and minerals needed to keep each organ in our body healthy and the food related to them.
@aninditasen well, I appreciate your knowledge, and your willingness to share. Thank you.
• Israel
@TheSojourner Would eating rice help you? What did the doctors say and did you have tests done to see what it is?
I eat rice all the time, so I think it's just going to depend on what I have to do. Right now I just need to get down to some basics and then see where my tolerances and intolerances lie. Once I have more evidence and a journal about it, I will talk to my doctors
• Israel
@TheSojourner Ok, and it makes sense to me that you want to figure things out and know what to do so you will be prepared to talk to your doctors.
You can ask a Dr who would know for sure If this is just happening you would have to had been eating gluten free all these past years. You already screen your food what you need is a Professional.
With the other issues I have going on that the symptoms mask, I am not sure. I need to do my own research and "study" first. But I will certainly bring it up with my physician.
@TheSojourner that should work fine. Good luck when you go.
@sharon6345 thank you, as I appreciate your support.
@LindaOHio (91468)
Can they test for that? Maybe you should mention that the next time you see a doctor. I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction. I hope you feel much better now. Have a good day and an even better weekend.
Thank you so much, linda. I am feeling much better after a couple of days without gluten or very little of it. I'm going to continue to do the same thing for a while just to see how it changes my life. Then I may try to reintroduce little bits here and there just to see what the result will be . Do you have any plans for your Saturday and sunday?
@LindaOHio (91468)
@TheSojourner Nope. Nothing going on here.
• Rockingham, Australia
Our daughter-in-law suffers from coeliac disease which is an allergy rather than just an intolerance. If she has any gluten at all it really lays her low, mostly I think with severe fatigue and bowel issues. I hope you find an answer.
Thank you so much. It's always hard to know what what is affecting, especially when you have other health issues that have similar symptoms. It's hard to know what end is up some days! I'm sorry to hear about your daughter-in-law, and I hope that she is managing well.
@wolfgirl569 (53410)
• Marion, Ohio
If that is it you can solve the problem easily at least
That's what I'm hoping for.
The way I understand it, an endoscopy and biopsy are needed to confirm celiac and some people do not have a disease, like celiac, or crohns or IBS but DO have gluten intolerance to one degree or another. However, what I have read is that for an accurate diagnoses you should be eating a regular diet when you get tested so that a full picture is there. On the other hand if you do not really want a diagnosis, but more just want to know what makes you feel better, your elimination diet will give you plenty of information. You may have developed some intolerances as you have gotten older. Eliminating or reducing may be just the ticket for your well being.
I think that the elimination diet and my own sense of knowing what's good for me, maybe of great help. I will absolutely go to a doctor, however, if something should go askew. I appreciate your response. It's nice to see those words on the page and keep that in my brain, as well. Thank you
@DWDavis (20057)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I pray that reducing or eliminating gluten will be the answer you are looking for. I am distressed to think of you suffering those ills.
For a long while, I have thought that some of the continuing issues were (this) cancer-related. That may very well be, but I cannot ignore that it could be something else, instead or as well. All of these years that I was misdiagnosed with the cancer, which I know is real diagnosis. However, I must acknowledge that there could also be additional issues. Thank you so much for your concern, and your support, of me. Hug.
glad you are feeling better
Hope it is something that will start to make sense.