Frugal Living: My Gluten-free Dinner Tonight

I am trying to greatly reduce the amount of gluten that I ingest, as I am trying to identify, through elimination, and reintroducing them to my diet so that I can determine if I may have a sensitivity or intolerance for gluten. I can very easily eat a lot of bread products, especially toasted bagels, or delicious crackers. I think there are times that it could be very easy to overindulge without even knowing about it. For this evening's dinner, I chose to have a Omaha Steaks-brand beef patty with grilled red onion, a sweet potato, and broccoli. I really had no preparation, to speak of. It was simple: Season, cook, and eat it. Because the Omaha steaks box came as a gift in December, my cost was also very low for this meal. I appreciate the quality of beef, but it's not a price that I would pay on my own. My biggest success was making sure that I continue to get through the fresh produce that I have in my refrigerator. Being able to make certain that I eat things that are primarily vegetables should also help to keep my caloric intake down, while offering a lot of nutrition and fiber. Perhaps, that will also help me shed a few pounds, as I continue to pay attention to my gluten intake. Photo is my own.
I hope you can identify what triggers your problems. It is really hard to get rid of gluten because gluten is hidden in so many food that we think should be "gluten free". I know that food rich in fibers is my main problem.
It's so difficult to always know what to find and what combination of foods is best for us individually.
@TheSojourner - Some days I have the feeling I ate nothing wrong but I do not feel well.
@LadyDuck I understand. That's why I'm keeping a fairly strict food journal.
@Torunn (8588)
• Norway
That meal is quite rich in estrogen I think. Broccoli has a lot estrogen. Not that I need estrogen today ('cause blast it, period) but it's supposed to make menopause less annoying.
I'm having a hard time just figuring out what has the better things for me! I don't want to have to worry about the estrogen, also. Besides that, I'm an old woman!
@Torunn I absolutely agree!
@Torunn (8588)
• Norway
@TheSojourner Didn't buy any vegetables today ... But I have now stared at the ones in my freezer, and will make a plan for them. Can I put spinach on pizza maybe? I know my vegatarian friends like spinach pizza.
@arunima25 (72277)
• Bangalore, India
That brocolli looks so inviting . I love brocolli and tonight I am going to have sauted brocolli in my dinner as a side dish. I also try to limit my intakes of gluten and milk products as they increase insulin sensitivity. But it's really a challenge to keep gluten totally out as so many products have hidden gluten in some form or other.
Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables, when it's cooked. I simply pan seared it with my protein. After seasoning the protein, I cooked it and put a cover on it and put the broccoli around it so it steamed and caramelized it just enough. It was tender yet still had a bit of a crispness to it and it was so good. I suppose I really need to do a little bit more research on gluten and some of these other things. The hardest thing for me is to keep a journal of this sort of thing. However, it may be necessary for quality of life. One of the things I read recently is that with this gluten intolerance possibility, that some of the same ideas and remedy possibilities are similar to those who are diabetic, as well. I don't know enough about it to understand that. But I can learn.
@arunima25 (72277)
• Bangalore, India
@TheSojourner Your description of the brocolli preparation makes me drool. . I just had some sauted brocolli as side dish for my breakfast along with two small parties of lentils, potatoes and veggies. It was yummy. I might have to go for some light lunch or just soup. I am full till brim. I tried keeping food journal a few times but couldn't keep up with it. Lost interest after few days. I have made mental notes of few things around food for quite a long time now and I know what suits me and what doesn't. I make a weekly menu. That helps me with the grocery purchase and saves food items from getting ruined. I keep checking the pantry weekly to order only what is needed and use the previous orders. Also weekly menu helps me keep varieties on menu to meet the nutritional requirements and bring fun to taste buds. And definitely it is convenient for me as I have a plan ahead and I am not lost like a headless chicken on a busy morning. Due to many reasons we might not strictly follow it totally but at least I follow it for most meals.
@arunima25 I'm pretty much the same way with food journals. Mostly it's a mental note. But I know a lot of my mental capacity isn't what it used to be. So certain things I write down. The rest I just wing it!
I have no idea what all the discussions about gluten are about. I stopped eating meat when I got to know veterinarians who don't eat meat. They know what animals are given to grow and become fat.
What types of meats do you continue to eat?
@TheSojourner I've written "I've stopped eating meat", so this answers the question.
@MALUSE so you are a vegetarian or a vegan?
I donĀ“t much know about gluten unless the bag says something is gluten free. I had coffee with my grandson and made grilled cheese sandwiches for both of us and finished the cake. It was late and dark when he went to I offered to pay for his fare in Uber instead of going in public transportation.
It sounds as if you really enjoyed your time with him. And grilled cheese sandwiches sound good right about now.
@TheSojourner I was very happy He has matured a lot during these 2 years . He is not the rebel boy I knew 3 years ago.
@marguicha I'm not sure how old he is, because I don't remember, but it gives me a glimmer of hope for one of my own.
Best of luck with your plan. Both the sweet potato and broccoli look great.
I really enjoyed that sweet potato. All I did was cook it for a few minutes in the microwave and put a little butter and black pepper on it. It was delicious.
@TheSojourner I bet it was delicious.
@allen0187 it was! And relatively simple!
@CarolDM (182418)
Looks very good. I often eat sweet potatoes. Broccoli is good as well.
Do you prepare your sweet potatoes in a special way?
@CarolDM (182418)
@TheSojourner I bake them and add cinnamon sugar with butter. So good.
@CarolDM that does sound good. I made mine in the microwave and then added butter and black pepper.
@1creekgirl (31255)
A few years ago we discovered that my husband is gluten intolerant. He can eat a little once in a while, but still has to avoid it as much as possible. It's not a fad, it really does adversely affect his body with headaches, stomach pain, and fatigue. I hope you can identify what helps or hurts. Since I cook gluten free, I feel like it's healthier for both of us, even though I don't notice a lot of problems when I eat regular bread. There are a lot of products now that help avoid gluten. Unfortunately bread hasn't gotten there yet. But fresh veggies, fruits, and meats are better anyway than all the processed foods and preservatives.
@1creekgirl (31255)
@TheSojourner I use Muellers GG spaghetti and lasagna noodles that really taste good. They just taked a little linger to boil. I found a brand of gf elbow macaroni that is good...Zognie? Ronzoni?
@1creekgirl I have tried a lot of the gluten-free pastas in the past just out of curiosity. I've tried several of the dry ones and I've tried some of the pasta replacements that are now made out of something or other they look like weight soft noodles in the package and I can't remember what they're made from some sort of vegetable starches? The textures and the tastes have been very odd. I haven't found anything that I particularly would use to replace, but I know there are newer products out there nowadays. I will have to look at the brands that you recommend and try them. Thank you for the recommendation
@SonjaRae (5781)
I love how you focus on the positive! Also you are so creative in your meals that you will maneuver this easily!
I try to stay positive, but it's hard sometimes. It's one of the reasons I'm glad you understand my humor, which a lot of people can see is negative. We just grew up with odd senses of humor.
@SonjaRae (5781)
@TheSojourner Wr grew up with weird and learned from the best!
@SonjaRae ain't that the truth!
@LindaOHio (92048)
I hope the elimination of gluten in your diet makes you feel better. Have a good day and a great weekend.
I've actually been feeling a lot better these last couple of days now. I'm hoping that I can continue on this path.
@LindaOHio (92048)
@TheSojourner I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better.
I suddenly feel hungry to see your healthy food.
Thank you so much!
@TheSojourner No worries.
From a friend's experience, if you are sensitive and you cut gluten way down or entirely out you may lose a lot of bloat. She was able to test for allergies in her forties, wheat, corn, soybeans and many other things were on her list. When she eliminated them you could almost see the bloating fall away.
My gut has been rather normal these last 2 days. I did have a corn tortilla today and I even ate beans today. No problems at this point
Your dinner looks really good. Hope your successful with your limiting gluten and can shed those few pounds you want as well as feeling good
I'm going to see if it works. I'm trying not to get on the scale at all this month, because I've been getting over anxious about that. I did get weighed at the doctor's office the other day and I haven't really lost anything from the previous month. I'm hoping that I can get out and walk more with the little guy, and that will help. The weather has not been very cooperative yet to make it pleasant to walk for exercise.
I hope you can figure it out soon.
Thank you so very much.
You have had a healthy macrobiotic diet.I have no problem with gluten intake.
I probably need to learn more about this macrobiotic diets. I know a very generalized amount, but I should delve into the more specific.
@wolfgirl569 (53695)
• Marion, Ohio
Hope it works and you start feeling better
Thank you, my dear eva.
@Morleyhunt (21741)
Last night was leftover chicken, home fried potatoes with onion (also made with leftover potatoes) and a salad.
Home fries with onion are probably my favorite way to eat potatoes!
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
Can't you talk to your doctor about doing the celiac test, or whatever they do. I need to do an Omaha order. They accept food stamps as does Schwan, but we are never here long enough to do it. We had burgers. I need to do my what's for din/frugal food post for the night.
Do you purchase from omaha? I can't afford that.