Frugal Living: Facing Friday and the weekend

Recently, someone asked me why I share so much about food, cooking, frugal living, indicating that it was "boring," and that it "doesn't apply" to most here, suggesting that what I cook and eat is "weird." I responded: "Thank you for sharing your opinion, though I don't feel that I must justify why I write anything." If you don't like the topics that someone shares, for whatever reason, then don't read them. It is certainly not necessary to respond to them either. I highly doubt that my use of combinations you think are weird, or ingredients you don't like, is going to change how I view creativity in my kitchen. People are funny...and I use that term as a way to say, "...unbelievably bizarre." This is true for many reasons, as it seems that many think that there is a right to say and do whatever pops into the mind at any time, without consideration of anything other than an immediate "need" to speak their minds. I get it. I've been known to do that a time or two in my life. I also know that I have tried to please people in my past, which never seems to work out. Better to live unabashedly, I say. Another "Weird" Meal This morning's concoction used up leftovers, and added a few extras: 1.5-oz. smoked Norwegian smoked salmon; incl. salmon skin (pan-fried to crisp) 1/2 cup leftover yellow rice 1/2 cup chopped red onion 2 crimini mushrooms, chopped 1 tsp. garlic infused olive oil Basically, I made a "fried rice," though I did not add any other seasonings than what was naturally occurring in the natural food or the leftovers. Slicing a quarter of an English cucumber, it added a fresh bit of side that was palate-cleansing after the natural oiliness of the salmon. It was healthy, tasty, and a great way to start my day for little money. Plans for the rest of the day and weekend I have little planned in the way of meals and/or things to do this weekend. I will approach this weekend and "play it by ear," meaning to progress by instinct, than by a specific set of rules. I prefer it that way. I do know that RGD will stop by for a couple of hours tomorrow. I do have some possibilities in mind for foods, though. At some point, I may make some enchiladas, chicken and cheese, or beef. I have two quarts of broth to make some lentil or bean soup. On Sunday, I will eat a big salad with delicious albacore steak. Projects for the weekend may include: Cleaning bathrooms, doing laundry, changing sheets, sorting through a box of things I removed from the cupboards to donate or throw out. I may go to library to pick up some things I have on hold. I do hope that there is enough sunshine to enjoy, as I will finish up a couple of pots for the garden. That's it for my weekend! Photo is my own.
You may write a lot about food, but the food you describe is not always the same. The posts which do bore me are the ones about doing household chores, like cleaning the bathroom or hanging washing on the clothes line. There isn't much variety in these activities, is there?
Thank you so very much for these kind words. Would you like to hear a post from me about how I scrub my toilet today?
@TheSojourner I guess that your way of scrubbing the toilet is more or less the same as mine, so, no thanks. Save the effort for worthier causes!
@kaylachan (33046)
If someone doesn't like your posts, they can skip them. I've been known to do that if I don't feel I can contribute to the topic.
Even if I can contribute something to a conversation, I sometimes choose not to. I know how to pick some battles
@kaylachan (33046)
@TheSojourner Same here. I can argue with the best of them, but that doesn't mean that's my goal. And, there are many ways to argue.
@kaylachan I'm at the point in my life where sometimes I just don't want the headaches anymore. Doesn't mean that I'm chicken, doesn't mean that I can't, doesn't mean anything other than I don't want to and choose not to. Sometimes that's harder for me, because I love a good debate. But I just don't want to do it with people who don't approach debate from the same perspective. I don't need to be right.
@ptrikha_2 (37644)
Oh Bathroom cleaning can be so tedious! We got one of our bathrooms cleaned by one of the outside folks. It was priced reasonable. Most difficult are some hard to reach corners. Pretty busy weekend here for me. And i like your meals. Some seem to have so much of Indian touch. If I exclude sone Non-Veg fare, I like most of what you share and would like those dishes in reality! Others cannot tell us what to share. That is why I share Cricket (Sports) discussions here, even if they get less responses.
Thank you so much for your kind words. One of the things I try to do is share things that can easily be cooked as non-veg fare, simply by omitting the animal products and substituting that which is palatable. What I really want to impress upon people is that they can open up their minds to new ways of thinking, even if it's a spoonful of rice or peas or onion, etc., and how all those things can be used and not thrown away because you think it's not enough for a meal. We waste so much by overeating as much as we waste in the trash. Learning balance is so important. Again, thanks for the kindness.
@ptrikha_2 (37644)
@TheSojourner Yes even I am against wastage. This Wednesday I was in the office and I asked a facility staff there to switch off some of the extra lights as we had less number of people in the office at that time. Have a nice Saturday.
@ptrikha_2 (37644)
@TheSojourner In one of my older facility ( pre 2011), there was a system where the staff filled up plastic bottles for each working employee. They used to fill the plastic bottles till very top and there was some overflow happening as well. I advised a few of them to leave some space at the top. Some agreed, some didn't. But that's life ! My father paid a visit to us at our rental place after 2 +. years ! We do pay him visit in between but he could not come for a long time due to Covid situation. Then we went out to check a few things in the evening. Hoping to catch on some rest tomorrow morning.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
I want some good smoked salmon. Send me some from out there. We both know the best smoked salmon comes from PNW. I will paypal you the money!
Normally, what I buy is from Alaska. I like the good hard smoke in the foil packages.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@TheSojourner I like that too! in the wooden boxes right? I just want good PNW smoked salmon.
@thislittlepennyearns it's from the same company that has the wooden boxes. I typically buy them in the cardboard box but the foil is in you pay more for the big box the wooden box. I buy it directly online most of the time and find that it is cheaper than buying them into the specialty stores.
How rude of that person . . . eh, they can just go away. Ohhhh, that "weird" meal sounds tasty! I like the presentation with the chopsticks too . Hope you get all on your list done. I had enough of this week . . . I just want to take it easy . . . yet there is always something that needs to get done around the house. Enjoy your day and weekend!
I definitely eat with them much of the time! I also have my cooking chopsticks, both bamboo and metal! LOL
PS... I did almost nothing today so far! LOL I did get to the library! And I did get to Walmart to pick up the liners for the top of the stove. I hope I can get more done on sunday! LOL
@TheSojourner I have those kinds of chopsticks too ! Ohhh, "nothing" is GOOD. I say getting even one thing done on any given day is an accomplishment .
@SonjaRae (5781)
“If you don’t like what I write about, keep scrolling!” What TH and Why TH do people find it necessary to insert their opinions? Because I do and this is my page, therefore I will!
It's really kind of crazy what happens. The more I get to know people, the more I like cooper! LOL
@SonjaRae (5781)
@TheSojourner RIGHT? I can see that! Lmao
@SonjaRae although, tonight he was pushing it. He really started going after this other dog, and I only had him on his collar, and not the harness. Nearly pulled out of the collar because he wanted to get away from me.
I cannot understand how someone can say that your *Frugal Living" posts are boring. I like to read how you arrange your leftovers or which kind of new meals you crate with what you have in your refrigerator. Today I worked a little more preparing food to celebrate my husband's birthday. Tomorrow we have something boring to do, go to our self storage and move stuff because they have to do something inside.
I have come to a point where I'm beginning to get numb to these types of things. I just don't understand human beings anymore. Thank you for your kind words. When is your husband's birthday? I know you always do things to make it special. Please be careful moving things around. I hope you have some sort of a dolly to move the heavy things.
@TheSojourner - Better not to listen to those people, but I know that you cannot ignore some comments. Yesterday was my husband's birthday. For lunch I prepared one of his favorite summer meals "vitello tonnato", it is a piece of veal, boiled in hot water with carrots, celery, herbs and salt. Once it is cold it must be very thin sliced, then covered with a sauce made with canned tuna, capers and mayonnaise. For dinner he asked for guacamole and a Margarita. I made a Black Forrest cake to celebrate. We have two dollies, we store our old professional documents that must be kept for years there, they are heavy.
@LadyDuck guacamole and a margarita for his birthday dinner! And the black forest cake is to die for, I'm sure!
@oahuwriter (22553)
I like your posts. I like getting good & different ideas for meals. My weekend, as usual a bit of cleaning & relaxing. Got my shopping done. Nearby Marukai, has an undagi or Okinawan doughnuts, fresh & hot, so getting my snack of undagi this weekend. Need potting soil, so I'm keeping an eye out for it for repotting.
I have never had these donuts nor have I heard of them, when I lived in Hawaii 40 years ago. How might you describe them?
@oahuwriter (22553)
@TheSojourner Always good warm, only. Round, deep fried, a bit heavier than American doughnuts. Some are lighter dough than others. Either undagi is unsprinkled or have sugar or sugar/cinnamon sprinkles. I always see the baker using metal melon or ice cream scoops for scooping doug to fry up in large wok. Undagi is very close to a warm cake doughnuts just a tad bit lighter.
@oahuwriter they sound delicious.. and fattening! LOL
@LindaOHio (91929)
How rude of someone to say that your posts are boring! Thanks for the update; and have a great weekend.
It's okay. Sometimes people say things that flabbergast me. It gives me more chances to learn not to be offended. LOL you have a good weekend, as well.
@LindaOHio (91929)
@MarieCoyle (4787)
You are right about telling people, if they don't like the posts, don't comment on them. I do that. The only posts that irritate me as far as comments go are the ones that say, 'I don't like this post'. Fine, fine..I personally love being inventive with foods and we seem to have much in common, I enjoy your posts a lot. Keep on being Coral, OK? And take care of yourself!!
I can't be anybody else but coral!
@SonjaRae (5781)
@TheSojourner I wouldn’t like you as much if you were either!
@SonjaRae you mean you wouldn't like me if I were sonja? Or...? Or...?
@yoalldudes (32586)
I love your frugal cooking posts. Keep em coming. I dont understand other people too.
Thank you so much. That's very kind.
@yoalldudes (32586)
@moonandstars (57626)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i think i'll make rice too, tomorrow. you do your thing
I appreciate your permission!
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
• Midland, Michigan
I work today and tomorrow will be at church in the morning and figuring out meals for the week in the afternoon. Tomorrow I'll try a new meal which is nachos using Bell peppers instead of chips. The recipe calls for a jalapeno which I've never cooked with before. Your picture of your food looks better than it sounds but that's okay. I also share my meals here as so others.
Have a great weekend! And let us know how the nachos using bell peppers works out. Sounds like an interesting recipe.
@wolfgirl569 (53695)
• Marion, Ohio
You responded wonderfully to that comment. I like your meal ideas.
Every once in awhile I get it right! LOL
I hope you have a wonderful weekend beautiful!
You, too! Hugs