Frugal Living: Dinner under a Dollar

Tonight I wanted to make sure that I ate fresh, raw vegetables. Salads are perfect for that. They don't have to be too fancy, but can be delicious, healthy, and get well within a budget. And this salad is what I served on my large dinner plate, so it was quite a substantial amount of salad. The Romaine lettuce that I had was purchased on a reduced price table. The cucumber and radishes were at a normal price, as were the onions and tortilla. The chicken was a leftover piece of broiled chicken breast that I kept in the freezer, not to waste. I always have salsa and olive oil on hand. 1/2 Romaine lettuce $0.40 1 large radish $0.05 1/4 cucumber $0.20 1 tsp olive oil $negligible 1/2 cup chicken leftover (from freezer) $Negligible 1/4 cup chopped onion $0.10 1 Tbsp salsa $negligible 1 Corn tortilla $0.06 This was an early dinner, so I'll probably be hungry a little bit later, but I make fix myself a bowl of oatmeal or even Apple to tide me over until in the morning! Photo is my own.
@wolfgirl569 (53695)
• Marion, Ohio
Sounds wonderful
@SonjaRae (5781)
She makes everything look good!
Simple, fresh, healthy, and inexpensive. Thank you, eva.
@SonjaRae it doesn't always look good. But I try!
@DWDavis (20095)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Dinner looks delicious. We had crockpot lasagna.
I'm not sure what Crock-Pot lasagna is. Thank you for the compliment
@SonjaRae (5781)
That sounds yummy!
@DWDavis (20095)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@TheSojourner K puts all the ingredients for lasagna into the crockpot and lets it simmer for hours.
@yoalldudes (32586)
The plating is so good. I want to take a bite. You are good.
Thank you!
@SonjaRae (5781)
She definitely knows all about PRESENTATION!
@SonjaRae if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, you baffle them with bs! LOL
You create such a variety with your meals ! What time do you normally eat (just wondering what "early" is to you ).
It just depends on how hungry I am. I would say anytime between 4:30 and 6:30. If I go with the earlier, I usually have to eat something about 7:00 or I feel like I'm going to pass out! Tonight I had popcorn
@TheSojourner Ah, got it. With Hubby working til late, we'd often eat around 8/8:30. So people's "normal" dinner time would be super early for us . But Hubby recently got a new job, so things changed (we eat earlier now which is good) . . . however things will eventually change again when he has to change shifts - then we'll have big time changes here.
@much2say basically, since it's just me most of the time, I eat when I feel like it. Yesterday, that salad, was 10:00 in the morning and was my breakfast! What kind of work does your husband do?
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
We went to the hot deli at Piggly Wiggly, I will write a post about it in a few minutes.
That's a store I have not been to in 100 years. Piggly wiggly.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@TheSojourner Ours was closed for two years because the kitchen caught on fire. It's only been open for about three months. There deli food was not good tonight.
@thislittlepennyearns I'm sorry. It's disappointing when things aren't what you want them to be.
Delicious dinner. Very inexpensive also our dinner yesterday evening, breaded fried eggplant. The big eggplant was 80 cents, the egg the breadcrumbs and the sunflower oil used to fry surely less than $1, two portions for less than $ 2.
I have to pay about two and a half to three times that for an eggplant. It's definitely a great meal that you made. Sounds delicious!
@TheSojourner The eggplants come from Spain and they are always very cheap here. I tried to plant, but I only had a few and very small, it's not even worth trying again.
@LadyDuck I can imagine.
@crossbones27 (43269)
• Redlands, California
That's pretty impressive miss lady. So it can be cheaper to eat healthy. I was ready to go kill a chicken, what is funny is its actually cheaper to buy a live chicken that buy chicken from a grocery store. So much for the mass production makes things cheaper. How greedy we have become.
Thank you! It really can be cheaper for us to eat healthy, when we think about it. And to kill a chicken, you're not getting all of that extra water that's in them that they're injected with.
• Redlands, California
@TheSojourner hAHA, its crazy how they sell us things.
@SonjaRae (5781)
And to think their are people who say they can’t afford to feed their families.You need to write a book!
they can't afford to feed their families, because they refuse to change the way they want to eat.
@SonjaRae (5781)
@TheSojourner precisely!
@LindaOHio (91937)
I love salads. I could go for one with all kinds of "stuff" on it.
I can too. And I don't need salad dressing on it.
@MarieCoyle (4787)
It looks wonderful! I had baked fish, salad, and a small baked sweet potato. I couldn't finish it. But it was good, I will eat the rest tomorrow.
What type of fish did you have?