Lunch with my Sister

I have friends who have a small, woman-owned, seafood company. They were raised in the tuna fishing industry on the coast of Washington state. Their cans of tuna are not what you would get in the grocery store for $2 to $3 per can. They are expensive at $7 to $8 per can. However, I know how they process their fish and what parts of the albacore tuna is in the can. They add no water, so any of the liquid in the can is the juice of the fish as it is processed within hours of the catch. It is also not overly salted as is so much of the bigger commercial companies. Last Christmas, I sent my sister @Sonjarae a gift of six of these cans, knowing that she loves tuna. We agreed that she wouldn't open hers without me being on the other end of the phone when she first tried this. This morning (afternoon for her), we popped open one of the cans that has a slice of lemon processed in the top of this albacore steak. We agreed that we would make a salad and use the fish on the top of the salad not mixed with anything, so that she could experience the texture and the flavor of this fish without any additives. It was so much fun being on the phone with her and getting to hear her review of it, and I knew that I had made a solid choice in giving her what some have called, "an odd Christmas gift." I bought myself the same six cans for myself at Christmas time also. Typically, I will buy a couple of cans at a time of just the plain. This time, I bought the lemon flavored, the sun-dried tomato, and the dill. I am so happy to know the two young women who own this company, and want to send my love and satisfaction out to the universe for the sassiness and the deliciousness they bring to their customers! And I'm also so happy to have been able to have lunch with my sister today, as we explored this new product for her, and we ate our salads while talking on the phone! Photo is my own.
so fun
I love my sister!
@SonjaRae (7793)
It really was fun!!!
@SonjaRae (7793)
@TheSojourner LOVE YOU MORE!
Sounds like fun.
It was very fun!
@SonjaRae (7793)
We had fun!
@popciclecold (24714)
That tuna sounds delicious, good job, sharing.
I think we had fun! Even though we live 2,000 miles apart.
@SonjaRae (7793)
@TheSojourner Imagine 2000 miles apart and hear each other chew, just like we were in each other’s ear!
@SonjaRae (7793)
She is such a special person to me!!!
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
Ooh send me some of the sun dried tomato ones!
Isn't it nice that you can actually go to their website and order directly from them? Just do a search for "sassy seafood"and you will find it's easy. That's how I get mine.
@FourWalls (43881)
Why, you two tuna-eating party animals!!!! I know you must’ve had a blast!
I dunno! It sounds a bit fishy to me!
@FourWalls (43881)
@TheSojourner — oh, I just said it for the halibut.
@FourWalls oh, groan. Is this where we just say "CARP-e diem"????
I have read a few minutes ago the post by your sister Sonja and your special tuna breakfast/lunch distant but together. I am glad you enjoyed this special tasting moment at the same time.
It was fun. And delicious. And a little silly in the way that we do things!
@TheSojourner - It's not silly, you had fun and you could exchange your opinion about the tuna while eating.
@LadyDuck oh, we get really silly.
@LindaOHio (95520)
I'm so glad you have such a special bond with your sister. What a fun way to try the tuna!
Thank you. We grew up and ended up realizing just how much we shared.
Ohhh, that must be some amazing tuna! That is such a cool idea to have had a lunch/phone date with your sister . . . makes the gift that much more special . You two have the best sisterly relationship !
We certainly were not taught how to have this bond, but we started talking to one another as we got older and realized that we shared so much that we never even recognized before. She is my heart.
@Kouponkaren (3589)
That sounds like a wonderful experience and a great Christmas gift. I love to support small businesses. Glad you had a nice lunch together.
The only way it could have been better would have been if we were face-to-face at the same table.
@wolfgirl569 (55888)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad you 2 had a wonderful meal together. Its great they are making it the right way.
Thanks. They are a great little business.
@DWDavis (20596)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I'm glad you two were able to share lunch. I get the feeling it was lots of fun for both.
I wish we were in the same city, face-to-face.
@SonjaRae (7793)
This was an absolutely glorious gift that you sent me for Christmas and I too am so glad that we waited to share this together! What a wonderful lunch date we had. Or for you, breakfast