This Jerk Approached Me

Los Angeles, California
Unbelievable. I went to the store, and this unmasked guy approaches me. Him: Excuse me, can I ask you a question? Why are you wearing a mask? Me: Well why aren't you wearing a mask? Him: [Sarcastic tone] I'm not sick, are YOU sick? Me: I don't need to get sick. Him: [Sarcastic tone] I just don't understand why you're wearing a mask, can you tell me? Me: [Knowing where this going] I don't need to explain it to you . . . this conversation is over [I walked away]. Him: [Dramatics] Why are you so angry? All I want to know is why do you need to wear a mask? At this point, a manager stepped in and told him to stop harassing the customers. Apparently he had been following other masked customers around like this - so he was appropriately thrown out of the store. Jerk. I didn't make it my business to ask him why he was wearing a winter cap in this heat - I wasn't cold, was HE ? Sadly, this is not the first incident I've gone through about the mask. You can have your opinions. But would you try to intimidate/confront a stranger with them?
@PhredWreck (7628)
• Olney, Illinois
Should've put a knee where it would do the most good...
As soon as someone would have tried that he would have ran screaming about assault. Better to just give him the sharp side of your tongue and keep it movin.
That knee thing would have been so, so tempting.
@SonjaRae (7573)
I’m thinking hmmmm wonder where that would be?
@Fa_Maverick (8366)
When people ask me I tell them I have a goatee that I cant be bothered shaving. They get real confused especially if I am wearing a dress.
@TheSojourner its like they shouldnt ask questions they arent ready to hear the answer to lol simple
@Fa_Maverick Perfect answer you have. LOL
@TheSojourner (46970)
It's a good thing I wasn't there. If I were, or if @SonjaRae would have been there with you, we might have said something to this idiot that would have embarrassed you. I would have taken my mask off...coughed at him...and said, "I don't think I'm contagious anymore."
@SonjaRae (7573)
Oh SISTER! Grrrrr
Coral, I am going to remember that comment if I need it in the future. It's a personal choice to wear a mask.
@MarieCoyle oh, I'm not so sure that you should follow my lead! LOL
@Deepizzaguy (67180)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
It is wrong for anyone for enforcing their views on someone else period. If someone chooses to wear a mask to prevent getting sick, respect their space.
Exactly. He had no business asking me or anyone else who was wearing a mask in the store. He knew just what he was doing - trying to stir up an argument .
@Deepizzaguy (67180)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@SonjaRae (7573)
Oooh JERK was mild compared to how I would have described him. LEAVE ME ALONE MF!
Exactamente
@SonjaRae (7573)
@TheSojourner Verdad? Es cierto! I can’t even see myself cussing this MF out in Spanish
@SonjaRae it sounds so much more biting done in english.
@CarolDM (186394)
I enjoy being at home away from most people. All kinds out there.
I need a t-shirt that states... "The more I get to know people, the more I like my dog."
@CarolDM (186394)
@TheSojourner I ordered one that says cat instead of dog.
People ruined it for people. This kind of person should be ignored. I don't even acknowledge they are interacting with me. Some ask why are you wearing a mask and some ask why aren't you wearing a mask. They are the same. Idiots.
You said it all - that people ruined it for people - they certainly did. I am normally one to chat with strangers, so I stupidly slipped into that one - yah, I should have ignored him. No matter what side of an issue someone is on, no one seems to be respecting the other anymore - some can get down right nasty about it. I am not liking this open division.
@RebeccasFarm (65089)
He sounds a danger..people like that are dangerous. Pity they didnt ban him permanently from the store. I am sorry Much..you did good. I may not have had as much patience and laid into him.
Right. When I actually left the store too, I scanned the area before going to my car - and sure enough he was sitting by a tree. I walked with another family and went the long route back to the car - I didn't need him following me .
@much2say Yeah he would have been creeper enough to follow you. They should have banned him from the store altogether not just the inside.
@much2say Man I would have kicked his azz right then and there lol
There is this older woman that always and I mean always has to say something to me about not wearing my mask. I have tried to always be mindful that she is elderly and let her b. I have decided that when she does it again I am going to look her right in her face and tell her that one day she is going to speak about me wearing a mask and I am going to kick her walker right from her hands. I know that I would not do that but that should get her on high alert to leave me the hell alone.
It is super annoying when someone gets in your face like that so often. That woman really needs to mind her own business. Mandates are lifted in many places, and some people have genuine reasons why they cannot wear masks . . . it's not cool of her to call you out about it. I sure hope she stops bugging you!
@much2say Well she will be sorry the next time because she is the main one whispering to neighbors how sick I am. I am going to shame her so bad she will leave that elevator shaking and in tears. I am sick of being nice and quiet. She is a bully and I have had it.
• Rockingham, Australia
That is awful. I don't think that happens too often here but I wouldn't really know. A jerk indeed.
During the past couple years, I would say that people around here were pretty good about following covid protocols and such no matter what their opinions were. But now things are "a choice" and people are openly bolder about their opinions. I feel like we live with so much division.
That is so uncalled for. And then he asks why dramatics when he's being far more dramatic than you. Idk why people can't mind their own business. People have their reasons for wearing masks as long as nobody's forcing you to why does it matter if they are. Not to mention its not like the pandemic is over yet. People lost their minds during this pandemic seriously. Glad they threw him out.
Right? I mean, who walks up to strangers and try to start arguments like this, it was obviously intentional. My choices or anyone else's about the mask is none of his business. And I don't know what this guy could do . . . if he had the nerve to verbally attack people and follow them around, who knows if he would hit, stab, or shoot too. Seriously people are insane these days and it feels like it's getting worse .
He was rude and out of order. I can't understand why some people go around confronting people and looking for trouble. One reason why there can never be peace on this earth.
I imagine this guy must be going around everywhere confronting people like that. Maybe it's a power trip for him - I don't know - but yes, completely rude. It's sad, but I do agree there will never be peace with our world.
@DaddyEvil (80952)
So far, people just look at Pretty and I strangely when they see us wearing masks - nobody has had the gall to say anything about them. I'm very sorry that happened to you.
It was that way before . . . that no one would say anything about the masks. But now that it's a choice, people seem to have gotten their nasty sides out and harass everyone else about it. We went walking as a family in another county . . . this bicycling couple rode by us and yelled "woo hoo, way to go, wearing masks outdoors", obviously ridiculing us. Sometime I just hate people .
@DaddyEvil (80952)
@much2say I would just flip them off and continue walking. I'm not always a nice person. I do wear my mask when I'm outside. I haven't had as many allergic reactions as I normally do and enjoy it.
@DaddyEvil With the bicyclists, they sped on by real fast as they made their remark, so there wasn't even a chance to respond. A - holes. Some of us do choose to wear masks outdoors - nothing wrong with that. I mask up when I garden, and I get less sinus-y - could really tell the difference! My son doesn't get puffy eyes at school (he is allergic to some of the greens).
@JimBo452020 (42933)
What a jerk You were polite. Well done. I would not have been polite at all Two words spring to mine And the second word to him would have been Off
I tend to be polite and diplomatic . I was thinking those 2 words actually . The thing is we have to watch it here as people are too unpredictable . . . I'm sure you've heard all about the shoving, punching, stabbings, and shootings that happen here .
@JimBo452020 (42933)
@much2say Aye well the two words would still apply and still be said by a Simple Jim like me.
@JimBo452020 I saw you changed it, but then you changed it again .
DAMN, that was totally uncalled for. I hope somebody gets a lawsuit out against him.
He had no business asking me . In most cases people won't say anything, but once and a while you get people who will roll their eyes or make a comment under their breath. Never have I had someone actually approach me like this .
He's an idiot plus he had no right to get into your face, it's unconstitutional.
@rebelann I didn't understand why he was there picking on people like that. I'd have to say he knew what he was doing . . . very passive aggressive so no one can accuse him of being an attacker. But why go out your way to stir up trouble in public with strangers .
The guy who asked while knowing the answer just wanted to strike up a conversation with you.Here the people who don't put on a mask aren't allowed to enter stores .
This (unmasked) man was trying to start an argument with me . Currently, it it is a choice to wear a mask in most public places here, but it is highly recommended to wear one. Many people choose not to wear a mask anymore, and although I may have my thoughts about it in private, I would never push my opinion on a stranger. My family and I still wear masks everywhere we go. I will tell you that even as a family, we have been harassed and ridiculed by strangers in various places.
@much2say Your whole family do the right thing ! However Some people there actually look at you with curious eyes ! This reminds me of "Bad money drives out good."
@rsa101 (34384)
It's a good thing there aren't any folks like that in our neighborhood yet. The government continues to enforce the wearing of a face mask outside of public locations. I can see some people being stubborn and not properly wearing the masks. According to the news, one Governor appears to be defying the national edict requiring the wearing of a mask. Her declaration stated that wearing was no longer necessary in her province. The National Government has ordered that the Governor implement the directives, and I believe that if the Governor refuses, a judicial hearing will be held.
Our area used to be good about masks - I personally did not see much trouble at all (in public) when the rules were in place. But now that the mandates have been lifted and it's a choice, less people are wearing the masks. Here, I feel like the whole country/state/cities had different rules throughout the pandemic, so there was a lot of finger pointing and confusion. Sometimes the government officials did not even follow these rules themselves. Oh, I wonder what will become of that Governor over there!
@rsa101 (34384)
@much2say She continues to remain resolute, but I suppose that with the change in administration her case won't be treated seriously because the new administration is friendly to the governor because she backed the next president. Therefore, I believe that this is only for show and that the issue will be silently rectified later.
@Beestring (755)
If a guy approached me like this, I would walk away immediately. I think he was dangerous.
People are unpredictable these days . . . here we hear of shoving, punching, stabbing, shooting in the news quite often. I probably should have simply ignored him.
@much2say Yes, you never know he would do.
@Plethos (13425)
shouldve told him nothing and just fake a cough and a sneeze. it works for me.
That would have been a good one. Except that I know during the pandemic, there were anti-maskers who did the same . . . I just didn't want to go there. People can get nasty these days - even shove, punch, stab, shoot . . . crazy that I even have to think of that.
Are there hidden cameras around? Maybe he was doing a social experiment for his upcoming video??
If only that were the case. I would think that he would have had to get a signature from us to get a press release if he were producing such a video, but I doubt that was his motive.
@much2say Yes, makes sense there.