Covid in Scotland

By Jim
@JimBo452020 (43915)
Montrose, Scotland
Covid is back in Scotland And in high numbers Hadn't heard of it for a long time. Now It is estimated that 1 in 30 people in Scotland had the virus last week But the number is going to be more like 1 in 20 as most people with symptoms just carry on as normal. 2 new more contagious variants of Omicron are thought to be responsible. The News did not mention deaths or how many people are in hospital with the Virus. I wonder if the vaccine is effective against these new variants So how is the Covid situation where you are?
@lovebuglena (36100)
• Staten Island, New York
Did covid ever leave? I don't think the vaccines are effective against the new variants.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
Well we never heard anymore about it after the restrictions were all lifted. Then the other day it was back on the news I knew it hadn't really gone People don't care now anyway. Most wouldn't even bother getting a test. I don't think the vaccines do work against the new variants And I tho k that in the winter deaths will once again mount up Hope we get locked down again But we wont
@lovebuglena (36100)
• Staten Island, New York
@JimBo452020 Why do you hope to get locked down again?
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@lovebuglena Because it was wonderful and peaceful Lena Life was almost perfect. Few people, less contact, awesome
I have the feeling that we'll be seeing Covid as much as we do the Flu, the symptoms are similar.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
Aye I think there is more to it than that It's still going to kill loads of people in waves with new variants the vaccine is hooeless against
Well, the flu kills many each year and changes each year as well, remember the swine flu and the bird flu? Neither was a fun virus.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@rebelann Aye but our lives were not put on hold for 2 years and economies ruined because covid is flu like
The new cases are increasing and those vaccinated are getting Covid the same as those non vaccinated, just because the existing vaccines DO NOT protect against the new variants.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
These new variants are spreading fast Anna I had no idea about it because I had not heard about Covid in the news for a long time Another winter of discontent is on the cards Hope they find a vaccine that works on the new variants soon
@JimBo452020 - I have read here because masks are no more mandatory and the doctors are warning that we are going to have a new serious wave again. I have heard that also Dr. Fauci is positive... I am sure he is super vaccinated and boosted.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@LadyDuck Dr Fauci. Lol I saw someone call him Dr Faux Pas but in English
@TheSojourner (48060)
For me, I don't worry about the covid because I wear masks and I'm quadruple vaccinated and I don't go out much. But I still live my life. I know that the numbers are going up, but we're not hearing about as many deaths.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
Lol Of course we are not hearing about deaths. It's summer Deaths would be less. Let's wait until winter and see what these more contagious variants do. Anyway, why would they tell u about deaths.
@JimBo452020 because it's considered full disclosure.
@JimBo452020 I am tired of it all.
We're almost at high level again - they may require people to wear masks again (no problem for me, we never stopped). The numbers are there, but all I need to know is it's still very much around. Yet people have been acting like everything is back to normal .
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
I hope we get locked down again Because that means the vaccine won't work against the new variants Which was predicted anyway And lockdown was great.
@JimBo452020 There were a lot of upsides to having to stay home . . . we made good use of it. But a lot of people could not stand it . . . they will scream if we go through that again.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@much2say They will scream simply to hear their own vocal chords in action. I got sick fed up listening to the moaners and whiners And those who jumped on the bad mental health bandwagon They didn't want to help themselves Easier to whinge whine and moan
@nela13 (50583)
• Portugal
Our numbers are high too, too high in fact and I think the problem is that the government said that the masks are no longer a mandatory, so people don't use it.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
I don't blame people for not using masks But masks should have remained mandatory globally. I reckon these two new variants will end up killing loads of people in the winter Then restrictions and masks will be back
@nela13 (50583)
• Portugal
@JimBo452020 unfortunately I think you're right, in the winter the restrictions will be the norm again.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@nela13 I hope so And them I hope that every country makes mask wearing mandatory And punishes people who don't comply Oh, one other thing Medical exemptions to mask wearing should be stopped
@CarolDM (187021)
A few cases lately but the symptoms are mild, like a cold or flu. Nothing like the last two years.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
That's good where you are. Here methinks it's all going to kick off again. According to the telly the two new variants are more contagious. And numbers of infections are growing
@CarolDM (187021)
@JimBo452020 Take care. Try to enjoy the weekend.
@CarolDM (187021)
@JimBo452020 I have been outside. trying to catch up now. Weekends are usually slow here.
• Rockingham, Australia
We still have high numbers but I haven't heard of new variants. I'll guess they'll reach us in time.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
They most likely already have reached you But the government does not want you to know
• Rockingham, Australia
@JimBo452020 That could be but I think our journalists seem to be on the ball.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@JudyEv Aye. They do. But they got stuff wrong before in Australia And they could again I must check and see what Wiki says about Covid Australia
We too have the covid back in bigger numbers. But it seems that the vaccine is helpful as the hospitalised people are just a few.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
I checked. Over 700 people in Scotland are in hospital with Covid About half the number of during the last wave Have the 2 new Omicron variants reached Chile yet,?
@JimBo452020 There´s even one monkey variant here. It think that the frontier problems have to do with that.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@marguicha monkey variant. Ah, wonder if that is the same as.we.call monkeypox
You know I have no idea I just sit here and pound the keyboard, I just looked and because of what I saw I guess I will keep to my little apartment, This is what it said Florida Total cases 150,772 (June 3 – 16)
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
That's a lot of cases in a short time
@JimBo452020 mostly it is the very crowded areas like Miami Beach and other places lots of people gather,
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@RasmaSandra But it will spread into the wider community quickly I'd these two new Omicron variants are present
@RebeccasFarm (65437)
Yeah same here numbers rising but no restrictions..they are all mad I tell you
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
Aye. These new variants will make them think again
@JimBo452020 Yes they will..there are people dropping like flies here yet they say it has ended
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@RebeccasFarm Aye They say it's all over lol to suit their own agenda But it's far from over
I read that the numbers are high again in the UK. Our numbers here in my neck of the woods in Canada are excellent. We still take great precautions, because we do live in a very global world and people travel to all ends of the world and could carry the virus. Our twin baby granddaughters are only 4 months old and therefore are not vaccinated, so we take precautions so that we can enjoy them and not have to quarantine away from them.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
1 in 30 people in Scotland had the virus last week High numbers indeed The real figure will be a lot higher. They stopped free testing. Changed all the rules, none of which I could tell you Basically it was like use your own common sense lol And many just carry on regardless No financial help now People cannot afford to lose pay by staying away from work Glad your part of Canada is doing good I think I would be careful around young babies as well Actually if I thought I had it I would get tested
@JimBo452020 Our government needs to rethink handing out money if we have another uptick in cases. My hubby and I received nothing. Even seniors on fixed incomes got extra last summer and the summer before because they had to pay for delivery. We all had to pay for delivery, a small fraction of the population did not receive a dime. Here there were a great number of people that quit their jobs because they could live on the hand outs. Where will they be when they want to retire? They have not paid into it.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@Juliaacv we got nothing either No help at all People quit jobs here as well as the hand outs were lucrative to say the least We are all paying for it now Even those like us who did not benefit
@LindaOHio (95768)
COVID-19 numbers are going up again. We also have Monkeypox here. We don't go out much; and we wear our masks when around a lot of people.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
I started wearing my mask again. I don't care what people say..
@LindaOHio (95768)
@JimBo452020 It's better than getting sick.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
@LindaOHio It is. And I am not going to get sick and risk Yvonne getting sick.
@May2k8 (16440)
It has increased again after the government loosened the rules for the use of masks, now it is back to the previous regulations
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
Good to see you again. Won't be long before restrictions are back in place here The government say they won't restrict us But people are dying again so they will
@LeaPea2417 (33805)
• Toccoa, Georgia
It is down here.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
That's good Let's hope it doesn't go up again Anne
@ajithlal (14689)
I hope Covid gets better and all places people get free from Covid.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
That is not going to happen
@wolfgirl569 (56109)
• Marion, Ohio
We havent heard much about lately
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
Aye Neither had we. But it got a wee mention the night before on the news And then again tonight There was a different narrative tonight. Almost sounded like a warning that we may be wearing masks again in public soon 1 in 30 people in Scotland had the virus last week 1 in 40 the week before And this is only what they know about Free testing ended 8 weeks ago. So people stopped testing themselves and simply carried on I'll or not. So it's on the increase, and it's increasing quickly.
I don't really know. I think if it were too bad I would have heard.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
That's what I thought about the situation here. But 1 in 30 people having it is bad. It was 1 in 40 last week. I wonder what the true figure is And how bad these new variants will become
It's there, but it hasn't been in the news much here as of late, so I guess it isn't too bad. They do think it will be back in the fall, but there are supposedly going to be new shots then that might last longer so we will see.
@JimBo452020 (43915)
• Montrose, Scotland
I didn't think it was too bad here. But 1 in 30 is a high infection rate. These two new variants are a bit concerning. I heard the news say new boosters will be offered again in September By then it could have gone nuts again and chances are won't work on these new variants How gloomy am I?