Is This the Party To Whom I Am Speaking?

@Chellezhere (10298)
From May 10 – to November 10, 1876, the Centennial International Exhibition was held half an hour from my hometown in Philadelphia, PA. And it was there that Alexander Graham Bell demonstrated his early telephone prototype that brought the telephone to international attention. Then, on this date (June 20) in 1877, Alexander Graham Bell installed the world's first commercial telephone service in the port city of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (about a three-and-a-half-hour drive from where I live now). That was 145 years ago. And I have been a customer of AT&T off and on since the day I was born. And I used to work for AT&T as well. I helped them win back customers who switched to Sprint and MCI when Ma Bell was forced to break up, and I sold cell phones and helped those customers learn how to use them. I am a Verizon customer now, but deep down (historically), I am still an AT&T customer, because we all are, and will always be. And I will never give up my landline because there are too many valid reasons to keep one. Doesn't it sadden you that so many people would rather type than talk these days? I bet if we asked our ancestors who yearned to talk to relatives who lived so far away, they'd be devastated. SOURCES June 20, 1877: First commercial telephone is installed. (2018, June 20). Knappily - The Knowledge App. Retrieved June 20, 2022, from https://knappily.com/onthisday/alexander-graham-bell-patents-the-telephone-att-360 Adelmann, B. (2010, May 12). The Breakup of Ma Bell. The New American. Retrieved June 20, 2022, from https://thenewamerican.com/the-breakup-of-ma-bell/ History of AT&T Brands | AT&T Intellectual Property. (n.d.). AT&T. Retrieved June 20, 2022, from https://about.att.com/innovation/ip/brands/history https://go.hfcu.org/blog/7-reasons-to-keep-your-landline
Your browser isn’t supported anymore. Update it to get the best YouTube experience and our latest features. Learn moreRemind me later
I'm not that impressed with AT&T, I've had some bad experiences with them way back before cell phones. Of course back then Ma Bell was a monopoly and AT&T ran the long distance aspect.
Yeah, they simply got bigger and bigger making themselves very rich. I haven't hooked into any of their companies thankfully and I didn't even know I hadn't until now. I use Amazon Prime and mostly hook into Paramount+ or Netflix from time to time through prime.
@Chellezhere (10298)
@rebelann Netflix - that reminds me. Since I have moved and established new services, I have to update the information on my Experian Boost.
@Chellezhere (10298)
I worked for AT&T before and after the breakup of Ma Bell. Yes, some people had bad experiences, while others did not, and some still do. That happens with every product and service provider. AT&T owns more than ninety-eight companies, so you might want to take a look at this list.
Here are the companies owned by AT&Tin 2022. Warner Bros, DC Entertainment, Verizon, Alltel, AppNexus are some of the big names owned by AT&T. You can check out the complete table & info here
@sharonelton (13363)
• Lichfield, England
What would we do without the telephone? It is a brilliant invention.
@Chellezhere (10298)
I know it! It truly is a brilliant invention. It saddens me that people - family members and close friends, in particular, would rather text. I can see that for a quick, "Hey, Honey! Can you pick up a quart of milk, please?" But not for full-on conversations.
@Chellezhere (10298)
@sharonelton, I am so sorry your Grandma Brown is no longer with you to carry on those Wednesday afternoon conversations and that you never got to say goodbye. As a Brown descendant myself (who knows if there is any relationship, though), I can assure you Grandma Brown knows how much you love her and miss her.
@Chellezhere (10298)
@sharonelton Ah, I see. You would need to go way back into the 1600s to get to my Brown line. But it is there. I am a genealogist.
@JESSY3236 (16589)
We had Southern Bell growing up. Then we switched to AT&T. I had AT&T for many years. Until two years ago we had to move into my uncle's house. I got a cell phone. We had T Mobile, but we swotched to Spectrum Mobile.
@JESSY3236 (16589)
@Chellezhere (10298)
@dgobucks226 (30729)
Edison also had a hand in improving the telephone after Bell received his patent and credit for inventing it. Edison invented the carbon microphone which produced a strong telephone signal. I thought that interesting since he had his hands into so many inventions. I'm currently with Verizon but may switch if I cannot get a reasonably priced 5G phone which I now need.
@Chellezhere (10298)
I know all about it. I worked in telephony for many years before I became disabled. I recently had Verizon installed in my new home. There was to be no installation fee. The technician did a lousy job and ruined the carpeting. My property manager was furious and had Verizon come back and redo the installation. They charged me for that, and I refused to pay. So they waived that fee too.
@Chellezhere (10298)
@dgobucks226 I agree. I have been to them too. I had Verizon cell phone service more than a decade ago. It was expensive then. But they have always been reliable otherwise.
@dgobucks226 (30729)
@Chellezhere Never had Verizon for a cable/landline service, but no problems with the cell phone but their plans are expensive. I visited the Edison Museum in Florida and also one of his laboratories in West Orange, NJ. A very fascinating experience in both places especially the one in Fort Myers where he spent his winters.
@CarolDM (188080)
I have a friend that will only talk on the phone. I text her and she will call me. I always look forward to our talks.
@Chellezhere (10298)
Texting gets too eye-intensive for me, and I am sure it is the same for others, too, especially the elderly - not that your friend is elderly (I don't know her).
@Chellezhere (10298)
@CarolDM, I can't blame her there.
@CarolDM (188080)
@Chellezhere She is old school and prefers phone calls and letters.
@Beestring (3476)
Yes, people would rather text than talk these days. For friends and family members in Hong Kong, I also text them instead of chatting with them on the phone because I can see them as often as possible. For friends living overseas, I often talk with them and see them online on Skype.
@Chellezhere (10298)
I don't mind video chat. It's nice to see faces while talking. But if you're going to say more than 140 characters - call, don't text.
@Beestring (3476)
@Chellezhere I just text short messages.
@Chellezhere (10298)
@Beestring That's the best way to do it.
@m_audrey6788 (58561)
I am glad that there are smart people who can think of things like that. Now, we are enjoying the improvised phones
@Chellezhere (10298)
@Chellezhere (10298)
Yes, we are.
@RebeccasFarm (67925)
You know I cannot recall which phone service we had in our home when I was a child.
@Chellezhere Thanks for that
@Chellezhere (10298)
@RebeccasFarm You're welcome.
@Chellezhere (10298)
It was the American Telephone & Telegraph Company (AT&T).
• Rockingham, Australia
I remember when overseas calls were incredibly expensive and you'd only ring occasionally then try to stick to just a few minutes.
@Chellezhere (10298)
Oh yes. Those were the days.
@LindaOHio (99940)
My husband just switched from AT&T after many, many years of service to get a cheaper rate and a simpler phone. Thank you for the interesting information.
@Chellezhere (10298)
@LindaOHio Yes, I am familiar with Jitterbug. Their carrier is Verizon.
@Chellezhere (10298)
You're welcome. I know AT&T's cellular service can be expensive compared to others. Many years ago, I switched to Consumer Cellular for that reason. But what many people do not know about companies like Consumer Cellular, Jitter Bug, TracFone, etc., is they do not have networks, so they use another carrier to provide service to their customers. Consumer Cellular uses AT&T or T-Mobile, and most users are on AT&T's network. For anyone who might be reading this and is interested, if your SIM ID (ICCID) starts with; 890141, it's for AT&T, and T-Mobile SIM IDs begin with 890126. iPhone users can go to Settings General About and look for the ICCID number. Android users can use the SIM Device Info app that displays the SIM ID as "SIM Serial Number."
@LindaOHio (99940)
@Chellezhere Thanks for the info. It was between Jitterbug and Consumer Cellular. He chose Jitterbug because they were $5 cheaper per month; and they have a really simple phone.
My mom worked for AT&T for years as an Overseas 0perator. I remember the 'Saturday Night Live' skit, back when it was still funny, Gilda Radner was playing the part of an operator for AT&T, and she became very abusive to a customer when they complained about the service. Then she threatened to cut off service, telling him she worked for Ma Bell and could do whatever she wanted.
@Chellezhere (10298)
Ah, yes. That was a funny skit. I loved Gilda Radner's comedy.
@Chellezhere (10298)
@ConstitutionalJoe "Nevermind!"
@Chellezhere, you do realize that we are giving clues to our age by talking about Gilda Radner and the fact that remember her.