That Little Plastic Clippie Thing

Single use items will become distinct here in Canada soon. Actually at the end of 2023 we will stop having them available to us. By the end of 2025 Canada will stop exporting them. When I read news such as this I think to myself, a few changes here a few changes there. But then my hubby told me that it has already hit here-right in our own kitchen! When he opened the new loaf of bread yesterday morning, the bread clip was cardboard. He told me that those are not flexible, once they are bent, they no longer hold the bread wrapper tight. He told me that he just tossed the cardboard clip into the garbage and helped himself to one of the clips in the little bowl that I keep. To some it was a catastrophe when the plastic straws were no longer something that could be purchased, the plastic cutlery and take out trays will be the next things that many will moan and groan that they miss. But for me, I will miss that little plastic clippie thing. ~Photo is mine
@CarolDM (186394)
I never cared for those thingies. I use a small metal clip of my own for the bread and cereal.
I use a clip also
@CarolDM (186394)
@CarolDM They are much better.
@wolfgirl569 (55681)
• Marion, Ohio
We just roll the end of the bread bag and fold it under. So I wouldnt miss them.
That's a way to do it!
I’m going to try some clothes pins that should work.
@wolfgirl569 (55681)
• Marion, Ohio
@Juliaacv Yes those would.
Plastic has almost disappeared here, even the plastic lead to re-close some cheese pots are no more. I am very glad that I washed and kept the old ones. The plastic straws and cutlery were also banned a few years ago, as well as the plastic bags in the supermarkets.
Plastic bags are on their way out here all together.
@Juliaacv For the fruits and vegetables I am glad that they are out, they created humidity that is very bad for veggies.
@LadyDuck We always thought that the plastic tainted the produce and the less time they spent in it the better. Glass dishes are much better for produce.
It looks like you have way more than enough. How can you ever miss them? I don't think you're going to toss them.
I use them fairly regularly. My hubby will be using 1 for every loaf of bread that he opens, so the little dish will empty quickly. I cannot imagine how I will get along once they do away with plastic freezer bags, I have to try to think of something for the day that comes.
@Juliaacv When your hubby uses one and the bread is done what will you do with the plastic thing?
@sharon6345 After that it should be pretty flimsy and ready to be thrown out.
I never liked that little plastic clippie thing. I discard it and use a big clip instead.
I have a couple of big chip clips, but I think that I will buy some clothes pins to use on the bread. I'd like to keep the chip clips for chip bags, not that we often have chips in the cupboard, but still. What will we do when they take the plastic lids away from the Maxwell House coffee tins and they are replaced with cardboard? I think it will be back to using canisters again.
@Juliaacv I did not know about the coffee tins
@marlina I saw it last week in the grocery store.
Hmmm, wonder if that will come to pass here? My guess it is going to be awhile. Only certain stores have even phased out plastic bags.
I"m on the eastern end of Pennsylvania and can just go over the bridge into New Jersey. They not only did away with plastic bags but paper bags too. If you don't bring your own you'll be carrying your stuff in your arms.
I think that it depends on the priority our governments do or do not set.
@Marilynda1225 Isn't it strange that they would do away with paper bags based on the fact that they will break down in a landfill.
@Adie04 (12738)
Oh wow! The bread clip! I am still wondering how do they able to clip it without letting the air in, cause it seems loose though....
They make them for now......but we have cardboard ones replacing them. They do not work well at all.
@PhredWreck (7629)
• Olney, Illinois
They still make those? I'm a wire tie guy myself.
I save those little clippee things too. Some of the bread I get has a twistee thing that is almost impossible to unwind when trying to open the bread so I switch it for a clippee thing. I don't have as many clippee things saved like you do but I'm going to start saving them again. A cardboard thingee just doesn't seem like it would work. Yes there are plastic things that I will definitely miss when they're no longer available ( plastic cutlery and red solo cups)
Save them if you can. My Gramma used to keep a little tin of those and the elastic bands that she would get with groceries. The cardboard clips do not hold the wrapper tight because once you bend them to open the loaf for the first time they will not hold the wrapper tight after that.
@Juliaacv Once I read this I mentioned it to my daughter and told her not to throw away those little plastic bread thingee. I"m all for saving the planet but some plastic items are going to be hard to replace with whatever alternative they come up with.
@Marilynda1225 That's how I feel, I will use what I have twice before discarding. Bottled water is something that I won't miss.
I don't like those little clippy things. I suppose twist ties will disappear too. People are still upset about the cardboard straws.
Twist ties should be alright if not plastic. What about the bagged milk, back to cartons I suppose.
@Juliaacv I haven't seen bagged milk since the 70s or maybe 80s. Even then, it was not as available as jugs and cartons. Reusing glass bottle, I wonder if that could come back.
@paigea The majority of milk here is sold either in bags or cartons. I buy 2 2L bags a week and the cartons are much smaller.
@sjvg1976 (32377)
That's a good thing as plastic is not good for the environment. Here in India plastic bags are banned, instead of them, cloth bags are in use.
We have had to pay for our plastic bags for a number of years, but they soon will not be for sale.
@sjvg1976 (32377)
@Juliaacv if the plastic bags get banned all over the world then it would be helpful as this is a major thing which pollutes the environment.
@sjvg1976 Yes, plastic bags, cups, cutlery just to name a few items that need to be banned.
@averygirl72 (31608)
I don't know if that will happen here in my country too. So you collect those plastic clippie I found in loaf breads?
I saved them if they were not bent too badly, and I am glad that I did.
@averygirl72 (31608)
@Juliaacv We just throw them away. Maybe I should save them too
@averygirl72 You might be reusing yours like we are reusing ours.
@aninditasen (5698)
• Raurkela, India
I miss the plastic bags but I like the cloth one too.
• Raurkela, India
@Juliaacv I use the grocery bags from online shops to store vegetables and fruits in the fridge.
@aninditasen I keep the produce in glass dishes in the fridge.
I think it's wonderful, and wished they would do that in the USA or at least Texas. I can never collect those clippies because I always lose them before the bread goes bad.
Banning plastic is necessary, but it will take some rethinking on alot of us. Its like stepping back in time to another generation. All countries are banning plastic items, some more aggressively then others, your country will follow suit.
@Juliaacv I think some states have already started the process, and I believe you are right, it will turn worldwide.
@thelme55 (75198)
We are still using those clips here.
I’m going to try clothes pins.
@thelme55 (75198)
@Juliaacv That is a good idea.
@RebeccasFarm (65089)
Oh dear..is this really going to help anything by stopping those
I think that doing away with the plastic take out containers and the plastic ups and cutlery will have a good effect on the environment. We hosted Christmas in 2019 and we had a really hard time finding plastic cutlery back then already. Covid delayed them from banning them, but its here now.
@Juliaacv Here it is Julia
@m_audrey6788 (56340)
We don`t have something like that here but that is so useful
These are on the commercial bread wrappers to keep the bread wrapper closed.
@Juliaacv Oh ok. Maybe I just don`t see it. I will check it at the supermarket
There must be ecofriendly things that replace them.Bread clip doesn't concern me,because we live on a staple diet of rice.
My hubby likes his bread toasted for breakfast.
I guess while we have these here I should save up some I have a few around
I would if I were you.
@JESSY3236 (16262)
I will miss plastic grocery bags. We haven't phased them out yet. We use grocery bags as poop bags (for our cats).
Here they offer biodegradeable bags in the produce section, they would work perfectly for what you use them for. I use them for wet garbage.