Frugal Cooking: Throwing together a potato salad

Because of the way that I cook, not using any particular recipe or making sure that I have exact ingredients to replicate something I've done before, I do what I call a lot of throw together cooking. I use whatever ingredients I have on hand, and think about how I can use them in some conventional ways, with maybe a little unconventional twist. Because we are getting ready to have so many hot days, I decided that I would make a potato salad to have in my refrigerator, and I pulled some hot dogs from the freezer to keep in the refrigerator for a quick meal. I had about a dozen potatoes and I used half of them. Some of them had a few bad spots in them, but I just cut that out. I didn't do anything that some might think too weird with this concoction. I thought about putting capers in it, because I love them so much, but decided against it because they could be used in another recipe. Ingredients: Six russet potatoes Two ribs of celery 1/4 of a large red onion Mayonnaise Dijon mustard Salt and pepper Fresh chives and parsley Smoked paprika I make my potato salad so many different ways, but I think this one will work out nicely. It's in the refrigerator right now with all of the flavors marrying. What do you usually put in your potato salad? Photo collage is my own.
Sounds delicious. I love potato salad and add all kinds of things like chopped pickles and ham or bacon and so on, I have a great recipe for a salad which is a bit different that my mom made, It is a Latvian salad with many different ingredients, I will put in a recipe tomorrow because in hot weather it is great and eats like a full meal,
I look forward to seeing what it is!
Do you put beets in it also?
@marlina I'm not sure if you're asking this of me or Rasma. But I don't put beets in my potato salad.
I prepare the potato salad the same but with no paprika.
I only put the paprika on the top for color contrast when I'm taking a photo. LOL
@TheSojourner In fact it looks really pretty.
Eating is a pleasure we should all have. I eat to make myself happy and fed. Happy eating tonight. Sleep well with your little guy.
Thank you! And do you make potato salad? Do you have a special recipe for it?
@TheSojourner Boil potato mayo sweet relish chopped onion only if I feel like it sometimes boiled eggs. Nothing more.
@sharon6345 I love sweet relish in mine, Especially when I put some eggs in it.
@SonjaRae (7793)
That is quite a simple recipe. Looks good! Smart idea to make up something for the frig. I don't make potato salad for myself. I can't seem to make just one sitting worth and it will sit until I throw it out.
I made it with one potato before. I make it different so much of the time, but right now with it going to be so hot, and R coming over again tomorrow or sunday, it's good to go.
@SonjaRae (7793)
@TheSojourner That's good! Have something already prepped and in the frig for easier meals. I heard you all are under a Heat Warning. I had to laugh, I was like...UM 70 is hot? haha. We got this! Forecast high temperatures in the mid to upper 90s will help create heat index values in the 100 to 109 degree range this afternoon. A heat advisory is in effect for much of the area through 8 PM.
@SonjaRae this weekend in some parts of Western Washington it's going to hit the 90s. I don't think I will because we've got the water right here, but I think we're going to get into the high 80s.
You will be surprised when I tell you that I have never ever made potato salad. I do not like it, so have no taste for it, and my hubby isn't particularly fond of it, so there is no pressure there to make any. I was quite proud of myself for making a beef stir fry tonight with bean sprouts. I love bean sprouts but have never cooked with them. Not to boast, but it was delicious and my hubby raved how delicious it was. Its good to push our boundaries and always try new things. I asked my hubby if he thought that 34 years ago that his bride, who could make little besides fish sticks and tater tots could throw together a meal like this. He laughed and said that he had all of the confidence in the world that I would eventually. I wish that I felt that confident while I was making it-I apologized to him before we ate just in case it didn't taste well.
I bet it was absolutely delicious! Congratulations!
@TheSojourner Thanks, it felt good to try and succeed at something new.
@Juliaacv I hope that you tackle your next challenges with the confidence that it deserves. You are awesome!
I use my moms trick. She always poured a little pickle juice over the warm potatoes and then let them cool. The added her mayo, onion, etc or whatever else she had handy. The pickle juice just gave it a bit of a tang but didn't overpower
I have done the same thing! I often use just plain vinegar, but the pickle juice works. I don't always have pickles, but right now I have some German dill pickles. I will have to remember to use that the next time!
@TheSojourner vinegar does work as an alternative for pickle juice and I've done the same thing but since we love pickles in this house we always save the juice
@Marilynda1225 I will use pickle juice when I have it also to make my own salad dressings
@wolfgirl569 (55888)
• Marion, Ohio
Potatoes only I dont like a bunch mixed together. I know I know. I am impossible.
So potatoes. Your potato salad is smashed potato
@wolfgirl569 (55888)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner Sometimes just boiled and buttered.
@wolfgirl569 that's not potato salad. That's just boiled potatoes. Those are good too. Give me a little butter and black pepper and I'm good to go
@1creekgirl (31862)
My potato salad is very similar to yours. I use mayo, mustard, celery, chopped sweet pickles, paprika, salt, pepper, chopped boiled eggs, and a little sugar
I have used all of those things, but I've never put sugar in it.
@1creekgirl (31862)
@TheSojourner We southern cooks put sugar in just about everything!
I just might try that recipe - I have everything on hand ! Hubby likes the Japanese style potato salad - my mom makes that for get togethers but we haven't done that in a couple years. So it's potatoes, onions and cucumbers (salted with water drawn out), boiled grated carrots, ham, mayo and rice vinegar - maybe some extra salt.
20h
You put cucumbers in your potato salad? I suppose that would be like putting pickles in it, so I don't see that that would be strange. And you put cooked carrots in it. Interesting. I'm going to have to write that down and try something similar.
9h
@TheSojourner Well, I guess it's a Japanese thing. More specifically, seeded sliced cucumbers with the peel on . . . maybe for color and crunch? And the onions are grated. Both salted and as much moisture drained. The grated carrots are thrown in the water as the potatoes finish boiling. I think most Japanese potato salad recipes online use them.
@LeaPea2417 (33785)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Potatoes, celery, mayonnaise and mustard.
So very simple. So much can be done with that, if someone wants to elevate it.
@LeaPea2417 (33785)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@TheSojourner that's true.
My potato salad is similar. But I make it so seldom, I always look at a recipe. Even if I don't follow it exactly.
I figure potatoes and mayonnaise are the base and everything else is whatever I have on hand! I usually make potato salad a couple of times during the summer season, because I can make it and keep it for a few days in the refrigerator. It doesn't require much effort after the initial bowl is made.
@TheSojourner Sounds good.
@aninditasen (5861)
• Raurkela, India
I don't make potato salad usually but I just add onions and curd and some roasted cumin seed powder and chili powder.
That sounds delicious. If I remember correctly, when you say curd, you are talking about yogurt, am I correct?
@LindaOHio (95520)
When I used to make potato salad we never used onions of any kind (as you know); and followed my MILs way of making it by putting some vinegar and hard boiled eggs into it. We love hard boiled eggs in our potato salad.
Most of the time I put vinegar in it, but I used quite a bit of mustard in this so it already had the tang. Sometimes I'll put eggs in it, but it just depends on what else I have. I have so much other protein to eat, that I don't need to double up on the protein with a side of potato salad. But I like eggs and mine as well.
@MarieCoyle (5509)
Hard boiled eggs, often chopped green onions, pimentos or chopped red bell pepper. I have a favorite recipe for the dressing that was Grandma's, she made the very best potato salad ever. She swore that it was tastier if we used little red potatoes, and maybe she was on to something there. Of course, I do like you do--if I don't have one ingredient, that doesn't stop me. I do think it has to have good celery, I love the crunch it adds.
I have made it with sweet red bell pepper, I've put radishes in mine, and I never make it the same way twice. Usually, I don't always use mustard, but I do put some element of acid in it. Sometimes I've used vinegar, or I will use capers with the juice from the capers. It's why nothing ever happens exactly the way it is twice. Your grandmother sounds interesting. I would be interested to know what she used for her dressing.
I never make potato salad but I buy it for Dave at Safeway's Deli. I also buy him the macaroni salad from Safeway's Deli. i have never made them. He gets 8 ounces of each one for 79 cents.
I'm glad that he enjoys them from the deli. That's a great price!
• Rockingham, Australia
As you've said, you can put almost anything in potato salad. I like finding bits of corn in mine.
Oh, that sounds good
I only put potatoes, celery, mayo, no eggs for me in it
I like making a potato salad that is a one salad meal, so sometimes I will put eggs in it for the protein, and I might chop up radishes and cucumbers also.