Day 24--Continuing to shop less, but...

I stopped in to the grocery store (commissary) on base today. I needed to buy something that I needed and walked by the meat counter. Some might say that I should not do that, if I don't want to spend money. I did not buy any of it that was at regular price. There were reduced price packages of 93% lean ground beef. The price per pound was $3.25. I also found a small London broil on reduced cost for $2.94 per pound. I went ahead and bought them, just as I did the shrimp earlier this month. ] I spent ~$18.00 on just over 6 lb/nearly 3 kg of beef today. This might last me, considering the other meats I have, until the end of the year. The only thing I am out of is chicken, which I may purchase next week, as I noticed a 10-lb. bag of leg quarters (thighs and drumsticks) for $5.85 regular price right now in the commissary. I spoke to RGD, who is an accountant, about these kind of things the other day. We spoke of "trading one type of asset for another." So, as I understand it, even though I have spent some money, it is in inventory. It's not quite the same as when we spend money out to eat, for instance, and you have nothing except a full belly for the evening, I suppose. One of the questions he asked me to think about was this: You are on a self-imposed budget. You have 'x' amount you want to limit yourself to. You have been doing that. But then, you see something that you will need next month, but it is greatly reduced now. Do you buy it now, so that you don't have to buy it next month? Or do you pay full price for it next month, or do you go without because you need something else more? It got me to thinking about spending a little bit differently. Gratefully, I am in a position, though things are tighter than they were, where I have some extra funds set aside for emergencies. Though not an emergency, having an ability to make decisions about how I spend my money, and on what items, is a luxury that many people do not have. Today, I figured that the beef I purchased will not likely be found at those prices very often, as I am not shopping, as I had been doing. I was able to fit them all up in the freezer, which I have been eating from for nearly the month. Making a goal of not spending anything in a month, with exception of dairy and produce, has been an interesting process. Watching how often I go into a store certainly has kept my purchases down. I have been much more conscious of the decisions I am making, as I continue through this process and project. I will likely not be able to figure out (because I will not be so specific about what I consume vs. costs in inventory) actual amounts I am spending. But I am seeing a shift in how I approach it all, if that makes sense. I am more likely to now just go with what I have on-hand, instead of running to the store to get something, almost always coming out with much more than necessary, because it looks good, or it gets me to thinking in the future with what else I might make this week or next. The reality is that I tend to still think like I am cooking for a family, instead of just myself. I still have this fantasy of having many people over to feed (possibly my love language?), when the reality is that I feed one person, and share meals with one other person a few times a month. I am becoming more and more aware that I do not have to have so much in storage to last me several years. It is no longer practical for me to stock so much, as I am getting older, and I have a terminal disease. So, as it stands for June, I have spent $50 on dairy and produce this month, which will last me through to the end of this month. I have also spent $25 on 6 lbs of meat and 4 lbs of shrimp, which are now in inventory for future use. I do think I should just stay out of the grocery store for the next six days though! It's too tempting to look for deals, or to allow my creative mind run rampant in the grocery store aisles! Photo credit: Pixabay free photos
@crossbones27 (44282)
• Redlands, California
Damn, you are tough. I forget you shop at commissary not much more of a fair place in this world to shop. I went damn, when in, its that much here, but we special. How you know world is jacked up. People should learn from how you shop. Well done miss lady.
• Redlands, California
@TheSojourner Yeah they offer it for the lowest price they can in general.So if like one big shopping trip probably be lower than most chain grocery stores but that does not mean other stores do not have Lamb or good deal on cashews cheaper. There is a overall thing and corporate America cannot survive that way. But commissary has to work that way because a lot of troops do not leave base. Also I thought I read you say you have a terminal illness, is this true? You do not have to tell me if you do not want but was not sure how to bring it up other than I hope they are wrong.
@crossbones27 yes, I have stage 4 neuroendocrine cancer. I was diagnosed 10 years ago. I was told I had 6 months to a year or two if I were lucky.
• Redlands, California
@TheSojourner Well, lets keep defying those odds. Lets do naughty things, are you on base go steal the battalion flag and hide it in your closet. No one will know its you. I kid, do not do that but hope makes you smile.
@luisga814 (4190)
• Quezon City, Philippines
I only noticed that your goods were weight in pounds unlike in our country, it's kilograms.
• Redlands, California
@luisga814 Yeah we like to do things different, not always bad but sometimes it gets silly how common sense goes out the window. We can not do that because they do that. If it makes sense then yeah you can.
Which is why I gave you the kg of the meat I purchased today.
@m_audrey6788 (58576)
It is really hard to budget food. That`s why I stopped budgeting it. I just buy what I need and from there I plan what to cook daily
It certainly can be a challenge.
Not easy with prices changing constantly
@Torunn (8762)
• Norway
I do the same reasoning with deals. If I use too much money on food one month, then I should be able to use less money next. Unless of course it is eating out, then I spend more money on food all the time ... So in July I will cook things so I can eat them in the autumn. $75 dollars in one month is great! It must also be more room and easier to find out what you have in the pantry and freezer? *glares at freezer* Should be empty now you see, but someone bought salmon on sale. Someone will eat salmon tomorrow I think.
I do have more space in pantry and freezer, yes. But I can still go for a long time without starving. And, if I run out of food, I'm sure I can live for awhile off the fat storage on my thighs. ;-)
@Torunn (8762)
• Norway
@TheSojourner I have some extra energy stored too, but in some days, grading is done and I can start the summer routine. Some writing and working, then riding and lots of walking. And throwing things away. Next week will be throwing-things-away-week. Also selling and giving things away. I think I could survive for up to a month with buying only milk and some bread and eating rather weird meals. I bet you can beat that month?
@Torunn I'm not so sure how long, but I could probably go for two months, but I'd have to buy dairy, eggs, bread, and produce. Oh, and I'm almost out of rice. But yes...some weird dinners. LOL
RGD is right, if you go out at a restaurant and you spend,let's say $ 18, the money is gone and you have nothing except a full belly. The food you bought is in your freezer and it will last for the coming week and it was a wise move to buy until it was reduced. I had a 5 cents coupon for the gas that expired the 20th of June. I have read that the price of crude oil fell in New York and I read that the Consumers Union is investigating the actual price here. I told to my husband let's wait, you have still more than half tank, we can wait. The price since the 20th of June is down 22 cents, I was right to throw the coupon.
It's really about finding the balance, I think. Of course, I dislike it when I find something for purchase, and then find it 10 days later for a lot less. Grrrr. LOL
@LadyDuck it's a good thing you have registered it or any of that for the warranty or you would not have been able to do that. Possibly.
@TheSojourner According to the Swiss Law we have 8 days to bring back anything we buy and be refunded if we are not satisfied. With electric and electronic things it is 30 days, we still had time, but we were not sure for how long it would have been on sale at 50%. I brought back food that was not good and I was refunded, you only have to fill a form to explain what was wrong.
@wolfgirl569 (57874)
• Marion, Ohio
He is right about getting the sale price now. We have been buying a little extra each month at the Amish store for that reason.
Do the Amish stores tend to be a bit more reasonable?
@wolfgirl569 (57874)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner Last month we got 10 pounds of ground beef for 30 dollars. It might be a little higher now but will still be worth it
@wolfgirl569 that's a good deal. I just found 93% lean on reduced price for $3.52 a pound I bought 5 lb.
@SonjaRae (10559)
Reading your post, one thing screamed out to me...It was the "fantasy". Same reason I decided to downsize from the house into a 1 bedroom apartment. It was about accepting my life and the reality of it. Also, we spoke about and you shared with me that whole "fantasy self" image we have of ourselves, as we spoke of cj.
Yes....the "fantasy self"....I am finding out more and more about the many facets of that with myself.
@SonjaRae (10559)
@TheSojourner Yes Ma'am. Isn't the evolution of self remarkable?
@SonjaRae I'm still waiting until the remarkable spot. LOL
@LindaOHio (98851)
You are still doing very well. This new method of budgeting will serve you well in the months to come. Grabbing a bargain while you can is always a good idea! Have a good weekend.
I just have to remember not to go overboard, just because it's a bargain.
@LindaOHio (98851)
@TheSojourner Exactly. There's only so much room in the freezer!
@LindaOHio well there's one way to get rid of everything that I know of, that happened back in 1988, when I lived in chicago. We had a huge chest freezer that I had several turkeys and all of our tomatoes and zucchini that I had graded and the rest of the stuff from our garden, other meats, etc. One late afternoon, I went out into the garage to get something out of our freezer, only to open it up and the light did not go on. And it smelled funny. We did not have a lot of electrical outlets in that garage. Let's just say that a certain someone had done something in the garage and unplugged the freezer to plug in his electrical tools to work on something. He failed to plug the freezer back in. We lost everything.
Inventory - yes! It will definitely be used for another time, and you will have gotten it on a deal (saving money in the long run). I'm all for that - though admittedly I may do too much of that at times (a solid packed freezer is a sign ). Although I'm not completely staying out of the grocery store, I'm letting summer circumstances "help" me for now. The kids are not in school, so I am not always conveniently out anymore. I don't need to buy snacky snacks for the kids for school. Gas prices are also making me want to drive less. I'm trying to store less, so I'm trying not to buy extras. Prices are up, so I'm trying to be picky. I'm not on a strict challenge, but I am trying to change some habits .
Some have said that I "should" be out there, and that, when we use up inventory, we will be "sorry" we didn't shop, therefore w "can't do this." *RME* Of course, I start the month by declaring I'm going to try to go out there and not spend anything in June. I guess I deserve the criticism. ROFLMAO
@TheSojourner Isn't it funny how some people think they can use their crystal ball and no one asked for a reading ?
@much2say OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh I like that!
Sounds like you found some good deals, When I get my SS I order online for delivery so I get what I need once a month and always try not to overspend,
It really is a puzzle sometimes, isn't it?
@TheSojourner well when I order my groceries online I also have to deal with the delivery tip and delivery charge and I am always adding and misusing products so I can afford it
@RasmaSandra I understand. I'm not sure how much those delivery fees are, but I can only imagine
@moonandstars (60386)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
what to say, i think you're good in this
You're kind. Thanks.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@oahuwriter (24412)
You're in transition phase, and doing very good. Budgeting, is a necessary process, to keep us in our homes, fed and satisfied. A bowl of oatmeal, is cheap for a meal rather than a steak and fries. Oatmeal keeps us in budget. I understand, I live with a budget too. After my mom passed, cooking for 1 is different. I'm not liking leftovers too much so, if any leftovers to eat, I eat something next day, then the next day return to leftovers to finish it. You'll be ok. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, Krissttina. I am not sure that I have ever gotten out of wanting to cook for many others. LOL Maybe I should go to culinary school? ROFL
I am trying to reduce the cost of expenses lately. It is a matter of budgeting again brought by this pandemic thing.
I think we are mostly all in that boat.
• Rockingham, Australia
Really good deals can be very hard to resist at times. Maybe it is a good idea if you stay out of the store for a while.
I know what you mean!