Day 26--Recessions, Food budgeting, and Having enough

June has been an interesting month for my "no spending in June" self-challenge. For the most part, it is teaching me about my own view of "having enough." We all come to our views of life, money, health, and so much more based on how we were taught, raised, and lived by our family of origin. Whatever views our parents and grandparents had gets filtered to us in many ways, which most certainly influences our decisions, whether we continue down the path of our family or we reject it and find a much different way. I can see clearly how some of my "stockpiling" of a pantry, even though I am a family of one with a pet, is in direct relationship to my parents being born and living during the Great Depression (1929-1939), and World War II (1939-1945). Recessions are not new in world finances, because there are natural ebbs and flows, rises and dips, but there are many who use that news to try to control to political climate (and power) no matter where we are in the world. I was fascinated by reading about the recessions we have had in the U.S. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recessions_in_the_United_States) I look forward to researching and reading more as I become more interested in how we have evolved throughout the centuries. But...this is not the purpose of this discussion today. It was my initial goal to stay completely out of the grocery store. I have already shared my spending over the month in past discussions. I have also shared that my view of having enough (need) and not having certain things (want) has been an interesting study into my belief system about this and how it shows up in my life. As I continue down this path of reflection at this point in life, I see much more clearly how I feel about money and food, and all that it represents. That has been one of the biggest eye-openers in this journey. And, as I share this with others, learning some of the beliefs that are persistent with people here in the U.S. and abroad, it has given me a greater understanding of just how similar AND diverse, based on experience alone. I have almost always challenged my own beliefs about what is good, right, proper, and any other words we choose to label acceptability of behaviors. I do it even more today, likely with more gusto; for instance, what we see as "breakfast foods," how much we should eat at a particular time of day, etc. As I continue to explore this idea of my budget and basic needs, I am excited to continue to discover other beliefs, where they may have been developed, and whether or not they still serve me, as we all continue into this season of yet another recession. Oh, and by the way... Breakfast this morning was a cup of curried chickpeas and sweet potatoes, two corn tortillas, the last of guacamole, and a cup of black coffee. It was definitely...enough.
Your breakfast was more than enough to be a good lunch. I still cannot have some kind of food in the morning, this proves how true it is that we grow up and continue to live based on how our young years started. I gave up a lot of food I liked in the past two years. When I see a ridiculous price for something, I stop buying. Do I really need to eat that? NO, I can live without and eat something different. After all it is a choice, while for my parents and grandparents was not a choice not to have food on their table during WWII. I store what can be stored to avoid to be totally without food. Anything will be fine, as it is enough to survive.
@LadyDuck it appears that I might be more Italian!
Haven't mind eating the things in the morning. Especially after I find out what a lot of people elsewhere eat. It was better for me to eat it in the morning than it would have been at night.
@TheSojourner When we traveled, we had a bigger breakfast because we skipped lunch. I still prefer lighter breakfast, lunch and very light dinner. My niece does not even want a slice of bread with jam in the morning, only coffee and an orange juice. At least she has the orange juice, most Italians only coffee.
I think we could all get along with much less than we think we need. After all people in other parts of the world have been doing it for years, maybe not always by choice, but it works out somehow.
@TheSojourner Yes, absolutely wouldn't they give a king's ransom to be in our shoes? Slava Ukraine!
@snowy22315 Truly. It has made me take a long look at my own feelings/beliefs and what I need, don't need, and how I can help.
I just had a conversation the other day with a friend of mine about this very thing. It came up that just when we think we are "doing without," we need to be aware of the world around us, such as the Ukrainian people who truly are doing without.
that sounds like you had a filling breakfast! are you going to go grocery shopping for July and try the challenge again in July? I am going grocery shopping after two weeks and i am out of some things like bread and pickles. i am going to try and eat what i have and not buy too much more even though i have a $100 budget as i have a $50 a week budget and didn't go for two weeks so my peer says i have double the weekly budget. you gave me a lot to think about and i will look up the website you gave mentioned.
I will go to the grocery store and get what I need, and resist buying other things that I don't need, and certainly will try to stay with things I have. I don't know if I will stay completely out of the grocery store for the month, but I am going to continue to use what's in my cabinets before I replace things, as a rule. I want to watch exactly what I'm spending this month as I go in doing it that way. For the month of June, paying approximately $80, which includes the ground beef and the shrimp that I got on sale, is not bad. So, it's giving me a better understanding. I don't need to spend three to four hundred dollars a month.
@Marty1 I am proud of you! And, I look forward to hearing about your shopping trip! I'm glad you have your peer mentor. I'm sure that helps a lot.
@TheSojourner I used to spend over $100 to $150 almost weekly when i ordered groceries for home delivery from Walmart. I would just toss anything that looked good into the online grocery cart without even looking at the price. I now go almost weekly and i have my peer with me and i don't spend more than $50 a week, lots of the time i am under my budget. my peer goes around the grocery store with me entering the prices of what i buy into the calculator on her phone. i look at a lot of things and put them back because i refuse to spend whatever it costs. I am going today but my peer says i have a $100 budget as we didn't go shopping for the two weeks as it was way too hot I am planning to eat things I have in the house too and only buy what i really need
My uncle used to say something like that was sufficient, and sufficient is as good as a feast. I always loved that saying. I think there is an actual saying, but I'm not searching for it right now, I'm going hiking!
YES! I know the idiom, "Enough is as good as a feast." It's a wonderful way to look at life and what we have. Have a wonderful hike. It's just noon, and it's already 83F. I'm trying to keep things cool around here. We are forecasted toget into the 90sF today.
@paigea I can deal with it at about what you had, but much hotter than that, no thank you very much.
@TheSojourner 90s is too hot. 25°C was too hot today.
@SonjaRae (16375)
What a great process of self-discovery and understanding. You have learned much through this process of yours and it appears to be one that has been eye-opening. Although you didn't stay out of the stores completely, you have definitely acquired an appreciation through this process. Breakfast, which it sounds a little odd to me, sounds like a good use of what you already had on hand and to use up.
Hey, it sounds odd to me, too! But it was food...and it wasn't any less delicious than it would have been eating it at a different time of day. LOL Thanks for the support. If not for you, I might not have been so open about the process. HUGS
@SonjaRae (16375)
@TheSojourner Hey, what I didn't share in my morning breakfast was that before I made my egg and bagel, I ate 2 spoonfuls of pasta salad! haha! I appreciate you sharing your processes. Many people go through things, that we might be feeling, or experiencing and by the courage of others telling their stories, we find comfort in knowing we are not alone.
@SonjaRae Wow. ... what a WEIRD breakfast! ROFLMAO
@yoalldudes (33071)
Very insightful discussion. I hope to have fruit for breakfast. I also like how my peanuts are growing in the garden. I hope I get a good harvest. That eases my feeling of insecurity and not having enough.
You grow peanuts? I don't even know how they grow! And thank you for your kind comment.
@yoalldudes so, they are obviously raw. Do you buy them out of the shell or in the Shell or how does that work?
@yoalldudes (33071)
@TheSojourner I just threw the nuts i didnt eat and they sprouted. Once they are bigger i can take a photo and share it here
Your breakfast . Tasty, filling, and nutritious - not the same ol' blah typical American breakfast menu . There is definite influence from my parents regarding budget and basic needs (and where they got their ideals from), but I also have built my own ways about it. And even though my sister grew up in the same house, we are often completely different about our approaches. Interesting. No matter how tight it was growing up, we were never, ever starving. And I can say the same today. In terms of food - we really do have enough.
@TheSojourner Yep. Enough - meets the basic requirements. What is enough - [For me] - that I have ample so I don't/can't run out of the basic requirements
@much2say Works for me!
"Enough" is such a great word, isn't it? "What is enough?" seems to be the $64,000 question, however.
@wolfgirl569 (65460)
• Marion, Ohio
You have done great this month. Different but filling breakfast.
Thank you eva. It's been kind of fun actually. And I like having extra money in my bank.
@LindaOHio (109824)
Thank you for being so open with your journey through uncharted territory. I am sure July will be much easier for you now that you know what you need vs. what you want. Good luck!
It might be a little more expensive, but I will continue to do what I'm doing.
@MarieCoyle (9620)
This is so well put, Coral. I have discovered over the years that often things I think I need, I just want. Wants and needs are different things, as we know. I shop with a list, yes I am a bit flexible to take advantage of good sales ( usually meat and produce ). When I need something that's not food, if it's not urgent then I start watching and looking either for a bargain, or a thrifted item that will work for me. Sometimes I wait for a long time. I survive. My kids get on me sometimes, saying I need this or that, but in all honesty I know that even though my income is small, I am lucky to not have debt and I do have the basics.So many don't even have that, so I know how fortunate I am, I can tell by your writings you feel the same. I hope you and Cooper have a good night of good sleep.
It's nearly 3:00 a.m. and no sleep yet. Thank you for your kind words. I did stockpile a couple of things before the height of the pandemic, so I should be okay on certain things that are non food. But I do need to do some inventory of all of that so that I know what I have.
@Ufvbru (24)
For me, I can't give up some food and purchase equipment even though I think a little is enough ??
I eat quite well, and do not go hungry. But yes, "enough" is what we need to determine for ourselves.
@Ufvbru I think that we can all overconsume.
@Ufvbru (24)
@TheSojourner I mean I take more than I need