A Public Service Announcement From Snowball, Princess, and Your Non-Verbal Grandchild

@Chellezhere (10292)
I was a mess yesterday because I knew the idiots were about to come out - you know who they are. They're the ones who lack the decency and respect to go down to the local park, open a chair or spread out a blanket, and watch their city's, town's, village's, borough's, or hamlet's fireworks display from there instead of putting on a private one in the street in front of their house or their yard. And while most of these nitwits claim they are setting these individual fireworks displays off in the name of patriotism. More often than not, many have an ulterior motive in mind. They want to tick off a nosy neighbor, get back at a dog they think barks too much, or harass an angry neighbor who (they don't realize or care to accept) is a combat vet suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Back in the 1990s, one such fool threw lit projectile fireworks at my Bronze Star-awarded dad, who was only trying to get to his house after running an errand. Dad wasn't even wearing fatigues, but this neighbor still knew Dad was a Vietnam vet. Then at 10:00 p.m. EST last night, I realized the only sounds I heard were my TV, air conditioner, and frying pan. It was only July 3. I still had one more day to fret because I also have PTSD, but mine is due to a congenital neurological birth defect and traumatic brain injury. Fireworks cause susceptibility to sensory overload for people who live with the following. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder Autism Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Tourette Syndrome Sensory Processing Disorder And other forms of sensitivity to noise are also significantly impacted by the explosions of fireworks. So, think before you say, "Ooo, look! Pretty!" to a loved one inside your home who has one of these conditions, and set the fireworks off anyway. And think about and be considerate about how fireworks also affect your pets, livestock, and other animals here on earth. I'm serious. Have you ever wondered why Princess has been ignoring you more than Snowball has lately? Fireworks can emit sounds of up to 190 decibels. And you might not immediately notice that hearing loss in Snowball because he's a cat. But, your Wolf Dog, whom you should never have adopted because you live in the city, has suffered irreversible hearing loss caused by the constant sounds of jet planes, gunfire, and fireworks as it is. So, setting off more fireworks (especially in Princess' territory) will cause her hearing loss and tinnitus to become even worse. Oh, and Princess reacts to fireworks in much the same way people living with PTSD do. But the effect for her is more harmful because Princess cannot rationalize her anxiety, so, whereas your brother, who has Multiple sclerosis, is exhausted, Princess is terrified. And if she is still under the age of two, this will also negatively affect her personality. Because the technology needed to do the medical, psychological, and scientific research did not exist, most of the dangers of fireworks (and other man-made things we use) were unknown until recent decades. But, the information is available now, and people (news outlets even) have been putting it out there for years. So there is no excuse for anyone to ignore it and continue to harm their loved ones and pets. And, I am not saying you should not enjoy today (or any future Independence Day celebrations). By all means, please do. After all, we are celebrating the birth of the United States of America. So, please go out and have fun. But do it safely and wisely for all. Stop making your entire city, town, village, borough, or hamlet sound like a war zone every year. Oh, and also, please limit your time and date of launch to just one day for about 45 minutes, instead of periodically throughout any given day during the two to three weeks that surround July 4 or January 1. Thank you. Please click on the link at the bottom and watch the video "Why Fireworks Hurt Those With Disabilities." How fireworks harm nonhuman animals https://www.animal-ethics.org/how-fireworks-harm-nonhuman-animals/ Firework fears and phobias in companion animals – why do we let owners take the one in two chance? https://www.theveterinarynurse.com/opinion/article/firework-fears-and-phobias-in-companion-animals-why-do-we-let-owners-take-the-one-in-two-chance Why Fireworks Hurt Those With Disabilities
They have been banned years ago here and it is to respect people and the animals. Many suffered anxiety attacks and animals were scared, run away from their gardens and home and were killed on the roads. Not to mention the stress for wild animals. I wonder why those private fireworks are not banned in all countries.
@Chellezhere (10292)
I know, and I wonder that too. Private fireworks should be banned.
@Chellezhere - I do not remember which year they banned, I think it was 4 years ago.
@Chellezhere (10292)
@LadyDuck, I am glad some places have banned them. Here in America, the train of thought is probably either, "I am an American, I will do whatever I want, "or "so what? Who are they hurting?"
Firework sounds are deafening indeed. Not only Princess, even I get terrified at times when it got too loud.
@Chellezhere (10292)
It's 7:15 p.m. EST here. Sunset is at 8:49 p.m., and the last light is at 9:22 p.m., so there are still a couple of hours before fireworks will begin to go off. Some people started setting them off last night, but I never heard any, and I hope tonight will be the same. The last time I lived in a more populated area, I locked myself in a bathroom with no windows - where I trembled and cried until the fireworks were over.
@Chellezhere (10292)
@ihasaquestion Thank you. Last night was another quiet night for me. I know people set off fireworks everywhere, but I did not hear a single blast.
@Chellezhere I am sorry you had to go through such an ordeal. Hope that you'll get the peace and quiet you deserves to receive this time round.
My poor Luna howls every time she hears a plane passing over the sky She doesn´t mind anything else in the world, not even earthquakes.
@Chellezhere (10292)
Poor Luna! I know, it is a terrible noise for her to endure.
@JESSY3236 (16589)
I didn't hear any fireworks last night. It stormed after I came home from my great-aunt's house.
@Chellezhere (10292)
While still living in Florida, I prayed for torrential thunderstorms on July 4 and New Year's Eve.
@LindaOHio (99790)
Saturday night was full of large, very loud and close fireworks. They rattled the windows. Monday night was much quieter. Thanks for your thoughts and links.
@Chellezhere (10292)
You're welcome. Independence Day celebrations were not supposed to be window rattling.
@Adie04 (14085)
I believe fireworks not only give anxiety to humans, but to animals too. That loud, sudden, sound.
@Chellezhere (10292)
Oh, yeah. And the links I have included explain all that.
@wolfgirl569 (58507)
• Marion, Ohio
Surprisingly it was quiet here last night. Usually someone sets them off all weekend.