July 5--When all is said and done for today

There's only 30 minutes left in my day, and I haven't been here to write and check in, except to respond to a couple of notifications today Last night was a very tough night for Cooper and me. I had given him an alprazolam earlier in the day, but when we went to bed he was having some full-blown anxiety attacks. I could not get him to settle down, so I made a decision to give him another alprazolam. I wasn't even sure whether that would be okay, except that I did a little research on the internet first. He was happy to get the piece of hot dog that the pill was hidden in. Yet, it took a long time for him to settle down. The sound in the distance the firecrackers was extremely disturbing to him and it seemed to go on for hours. He went into full anxiety attack mode, and I was thinking, based on his behaviors, that he was having a reaction to my having given him another pill 7 hours after the first one. I worry about things like that. He finally settled down, but it happened about the same time that the fireworks sounds had gone away. It was at least 2:00 a.m. RGD spent the night downstairs on the couch in order to "help with Cooper," but he fell asleep right away. There was no help. I woke up several times in the middle of the night. I was glad to see that RGD was still asleep at 6:30 a.m., as he typically is a fairly early morning riser. I went back upstairs and laid back down and didn't wake up until about 9:00 a.m. and he was gone. He had folded and put away his bedding. I guess he stepped out for a walk. Food today was all leftovers. I did not cook anything new. Late breakfast--Rice and chili beans with the addition of corn from our dinner yesterday. Lunch--Leftover mashed potatoes and gravy with leftover chicken wings Dinner--Leftover stew and leftover green beans. I sent RGD home also with a liter-sized container of chili beans that were in my freezer. I am finally getting through the containers that hold prepped foods. I just took out two containers this evening to thaw in my refrigerator. One is some homemade tomato soup and, I think, the other is split pea soup. I still have three small containers and 2 liter-sized containers of beans left in my freezer. I have to be up early and out the door by 8:00 a.m. as I have a doctor's appointment for my monthly injection treatment. I have set my alarm for 7:15. I hope you have a good day today.
@SonjaRae (10698)
You've been quite busy sister. Glad RGD was there to at least provide an extra set of hands for Cooper.
I am glad that he does come out and help
@SonjaRae (10698)
@TheSojourner Me too. Plus it helps him too stay busy after the loss of his baby.
@SonjaRae I agree. I think it's still affecting him. He still finds himself in the habit of going to put food in the bowl.
@RubyHawk (66602)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I hope you and Cooper have a restful night and catch up on your sleep.
Thanks. Cooper got some; I did not.
@RubyHawk (66602)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheSojourner I’m sorry you didn’t get the rest you need. Maybe tonight.
@RubyHawk I hope so!
Poor Cooper did not like those fireworks at all. Neither did my cats they were hiding.
I hope the kitties are okay now.
@TheSojourner Yes they are ok now. I gave them some treats and star kist tuna.
@jstory07 they have you trained!
I feel so sorry for Cooper, I imagine that many with pets had the same problems. People should stop firing fireworks for hours, not to mention the pollution they cause. Men often come to be helpful but then they sleep when we need help.
@LadyDuck hopefully
@FourWalls (45525)
Poor Cooper.
He slept, though I couldn't
@wolfgirl569 (57999)
• Marion, Ohio
Hope Cooper slept better last night and you both got some rest.
@LindaOHio (99062)
I hope your injection goes well. I'm sorry you and Cooper had such a bad night. I feel so sorry for animals around the 4th.
• Rockingham, Australia
I'm sorry you and Cooper had such a rough 4th of July.
Thanks, Judy.
Poor guy was scared. I hope you have a great day also.
He was. Thanks!