I don't have anything to contribute to a discussion, should I comment on it anyway?

"If you have nothing useful to add to a discussion, you should simply move on and find one to which you can contribute. Simply replying with “I agree!” or “thank you” will likely result in your comment or response being removed. You may, of course, use the ‘Like’ feature to show that you have read the discussion and the responses and comments and think that they are worthwhile, even if you have nothing to say." This has been on the FAQ page since June 5, 2017. I am no longer going to tolerate it being ignored. Also, in the Community Guidelines since July 18, 2015 is "Discussions, responses or comments that offer little or no value - Answers like "I don't know" or "I don't care" help no one and will be removed." I should not have to be posting this. Every single member here should have read the FAQ and Guideline pages. If you think you do not have time to read them, I do not have time to keep removing things that violate them. The easiest way to solve this problem is by removing the problem. Don't be the problem. Please and thank you.
Have questions about myLot? Help is here!
Exactly, we all should have read the FAQ and Guidelines and this is not new. I hope people will read your post. I am going to suggest.
@thelme55 (76174)
Thank you for your suggestion Anna. It is very well appreciated.
@thelme55 You are welcome Thelma. I always suggest Admin posts.
@mythociate (21233)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Thank you for suggesting this. (I know 'a thumbs up' thanks you just as well (if not better), but I 'thumbs up'-ed several posts on this thread, and you're the only one who suggested this one to us )
@LindaOHio (104707)
Thank you for this post. Sometimes it's hard not to comment "thank you" or "you're welcome" just to be polite. I will try and add something relevant to the post.
@wolfgirl569 I did not write these rules. It does state a response or a comment. It is not acceptable either place.
Yes, we should try better.
@wolfgirl569 (61745)
• Marion, Ohio
@GoAskAlice Would have to say for sure but when replying to a comment I think it is nice instead of leaving them hanging. But doing that as a comment to the discussion is not. That could be clarified.
@mythociate (21233)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
So what should we do if we see 'such responses' in our discussions? (I forget; are we able to delete responses made to our own OPs?)
There is a reason for the 'Report' link.
@sjvg1976 (37907)
@GoAskAlice and can we delete the responses on our posts.
@sjvg1976 We have always been allowed to delete responses on our posts.
@sjvg1976 (37907)
It's not tough to follow the guidelines and rules here. We should follow the guidelines. We should understand by writing such comments we don't continue the interaction and hence lose the chance of earning from that post.
I try to read the guidelines periodically so that I do not become the problem. Thank you for looking after this.
@thelme55 (76174)
Thank you very much for this guidelines. Knowing this, I will no longer just comment I agree or thank you. Liking was not enough for me and so I commented like the one you mentioned. Have a nice weekend.
Many times we can start saying "I agree" but then give our own reasons. Still I´m glad that you have written that. We have to be more careful.
@vandana7 I agree. I told my small family to explain why they wanted or didn´t want something.
@vandana7 (91685)
@marguicha I hate that do as I say attitude...
@vandana7 (91685)
That is perfect. Reasoning helps to expand reasoning.
@crossbones27 (45047)
• Redlands, California
I kind of actually like this killed me and bubblews, say something we all gonna die anyway. People would say I agree and thank you or Nice post. You can be respectful and disagree, no need to be fake if you respectful,can say anything you want. Not how I live my life but sure is neat appreciation here how you stand up for what you believe in. How is that so bad?
@TheSojourner (56224)
I suppose that using an emoticon to recognize and show that someone likes, agrees, etc. is also against the rules. Of course, the majority of the people that seem to be the most active are guilty of this. I can think of only a handful who do not do this. However, thank you for the refresher course. I will do my best to refrain from most of these violations.
Judiciously used, the emoticon thing is no problem. Overuse of it is a different story.
@GoAskAlice So, if you respond to a comment with a smiley emoticon, indicating you agree, that is seen differently than the words, "I agree"?? I'm really a bit confused, after reading the Guidelines again. I have also been made aware that altering our words to circumvent the language governor is something that I have violated more than a couple of times. It seems to be a popular thing to do, and I have fallen prey to that, which seems to be a bit widespread lately. Again, just trying to clarify. I appreciate your guidance.
@SonjaRae (15346)
@TheSojourner Sister, I guess I didn't realize how many rules there were, that I didn't pay attention to. I feel like this one hit home. I do read through many posts here from various users who don't have a whole lot to say, they are more "venting" etc. So, I am guilty of acknowledging that I have seen them, heard them, but don't have much that I can say in response to their difficulties etc. When it is something of a sad or tragic nature, I don't want to just hit a like button, because I don't really like what they are going through. Oh well, I guess I will stop doing what I do.
@FourWalls (47538)
I agree. I like this. Thank you. Etc. Every now and then, given the glut of new people we get on a regular basis (granted, most of them don’t stick around, but still…), these rules need to be reiterated. Some people can do it occasionally as a joke, which I personally think should be allowed, but I understand the necessity to enforce the rule. (Didn’t it be a rule that a reply had to have at least 40 characters, which prohibited things like “good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” from being left as a response? Or do I have that confused with another site?)
Pretty sure you are confused - you think you are a dog, after all.
@FourWalls That must be why you are not a black dog.
@FourWalls (47538)
@GoAskAlice — well, I don’t like Led Zeppelin so you can’t accuse me of being dazed and confused…..
@1creekgirl (33685)
I understand what you are trying to explain. But isn't a "Thank you so much" reply better than saying nothing and making the writer feel like you just ignored them? Sometimes there's just not more to say.
As it plainly states "You may, of course, use the ‘Like’ feature to show that you have read the discussion and the responses and comments and think that they are worthwhile, even if you have nothing to say."
@jobelbojel I think it is pretty clearly stated that if you have nothing else to say, then simply don't say anything. Use the 'like' button.
@jobelbojel (32737)
@GoAskAlice how about those instances where the thread is already long because of the interaction we get from the discussions within the discussions? Can we say thank you, I agree to end the conversation? Or just hit 'Like'?
@RubyHawk (71912)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I often say thank you when the thread runs out or use a thumbs up. It seems discourteous to drop off without any reply.
A 'like' is a kind of reply, it means you read it and agree with it. Nothing discourteous about it.
@RubyHawk (71912)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@GoAskAlice Okay, will do.Thank you for replying.
@GooglePlus (3802)
How this issue got escalated ? Where is JJ (JJ is changed name to maintain the secrecy of the user)? I hope your team is aware of this issue and it's been assigned to your best engineer possible. Sorry GAA, I couldn't help it without sharing it with you all . I am out of the context but this was the recent email I received on Sunday. I hate my job. I usually like the discussion, like the responses and add if I can, else leave the discussion/comment as it is Thank you @LadyDuck, for suggesting me this discussion. Nowadays I get very less time to be online on Mylot. I do open it everyday ( There is default page on my browser which automatically opens whenever I open my system's browser )
I noticed you are not often here, but I thought you could be interested to read this.
Guilty as charged ! Thanks for the reminder. I admit l have done that a few times .
I am trying harder now that I read that.
It is hard to comment on a response that just says "I agree" and I really like to be able to comment on all of my responses. I hope this warning is taken to heart.
@akalinus (37460)
I usually don't comment back on these types of comments. There is nothing to answer.
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks for the reminder.
@vandana7 (91685)
GAA makes me feel old wid such periodic reminders lol kidding But I do need such things as I can go wrong in interpretation
@kobesbuddy (154185)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Instead of being a part of the problem, I choose to make changes in this area. Thankyou, for pointing this rule out to us, you're doing an excellent job!
@vandana7 (91685)
Aw Kharla. I never saw you reaching the problem level. Hugs. Now be your sweet self and say I agree followed by thank you. Evil Grin.
@akalinus (37460)
@vandana7 Vanny, where have you been hiding? I miss you.
@kobesbuddy (154185)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@vandana7 You sign off Evil Grin, you have never been evil for two seconds!
@arunima25 (76227)
• Bangalore, India
Thank you for this post. Well, at times Thank you or comments like I agree or Rightly said is non avoidable. But I generally try to not only comment with those but add something more relevant along with it. I like to have long conversations and interactions here. So, such kind of comments come towards the end of the conversation.
@vandana7 (91685)
@GoAskAlice I get it. It is infectious like the COVID virus. Hoping the situation has improved at your end. I hardly use thank you, but I do use I agree. However, I do add something to that.
I tend to think they are completely avoidable, but that is my opinion. The problem is that people see someone do it, and they think "Well if it is alright for them to do it here then it is okay for me to do it there." And then it starts spreading throughout the site and we get to where we are today.
@arunima25 (76227)
• Bangalore, India
@GoAskAlice You have a point. I will consciously try my best to not do it. I often try to add more than that to any comments. Now I would be even more conscious.
@Zufaqar1 (249)
Thanks for the information we will trying to apply
@Cha_20 (190)
• Quezon, Philippines
Thank You for that. Appreciated