Day 1--My Month Full of Birthday Gifts!

August is my favorite month. It is the month that I was born. I think that each day in August can be a reason to celebrate my birthday. Some have said that I am "self-absorbed" for making that the reason for it being my favorite month. However, there is a method to my madness. When I was a young girl in school, I was always sad that everyone who had birthdays from September to June (the month's we attended school) had celebrations in the classroom. Mothers baked cupcakes to deliver to the classroom, or sometimes supplied those little cups of vanilla ice cream. The class would sing, "Happy birthday," and the birthday boys and girls were celebrated by the entire classroom. Having a birthday in July or August meant that there were no celebrations of those at school. Being the eldest child, and not having many friends from school who lived close-by, meant that birthdays were spent with immediate family. I rarely remember birthday parties with other children (friends or cousins) there. As well, immediate family and friends of parents, meant that most of any celebration was only comprised of adults and my younger siblings (spanning 3 1/2 to 13 1/2 years younger than me). As I got older, and into my adulthood, celebrations were not designed for adults, but for children. I was "a big girl," and was not supposed to want or need "to be the center of attention." Over the years, there were a couple of surprises, but they were few and far between, as most of the people I knew and were close to didn't care much for surprises and such. Birthdays just seemed to be another day. These last couple of decades, I have gotten to a place where I try to do things for myself or by myself, and just celebrate life itself. Thankfully, I have one family member who ALWAYS makes my day special in someway. As well, I sign up for all birthday rewards through companies and restaurants that I may have relationship to. I get "birthday gifts" from them. So, August is a month full of birthdays for me. I see it similarly to what some do in November as a month of days of gratitude. And that will be what I will share this month. I try to remind myself of those "gifts" in life that are celebratory, as well as finding the things that make me happy, and celebrate my life, with or without others. After all, we all must find our own happiness, no matter our circumstances. So, for August 1st, my first day of my birthday month, I received TWO gifts from Cooper Auto Repair, where I have my car work done. The first was a $10.00 Happy Birthday gift from them to be used by the end of the year. The second was a $25.00 Award Certificate, which expires in November, received for points accrued. It's always a nice gift to receive dollars off of things like oil changes, tire repair, etc. Not a bad way to start off my birthday month!! Photo credit: Pixabay
@SonjaRae (10892)
If you don’t celebrate you, who will? Enjoy every single day of the month of August.
You will! LOL and I will. Because you're in it.
@SonjaRae (10892)
@TheSojourner Oh that’s right I forgot about me!
@SonjaRae I won't let you forget
• Israel
@TheSojourner You and I are born on the same birthday. I am also a Leo, if I read when your birthday is. I know you are younger than me. You deserve to celebrate all you have accomplished so enjoy it all and all the gifts from the places you get. Usually, since we are in our mourning period right now of our lost Temples and other things that happened I have my Hebrew birthday I can celebrate and this year it falls on the same day at my cat's birthday. I like to go out and get a special food to eat on my birthday and maybe buy something nice for me and then go home and celebrate with my cat. Yes, I already bought her some things and hope she will like them. She does not get them till her birthday. Once in a blue moon I can celebrate my English birthday that I have celebrated most of my life. When I was living in the States there were some places where you got free things on your birthday but not that I know of here that they have something like that. So, since I did not know when your birthday was I will wish you a Happy Belated birthday. We used to have a lot of birthdays in my family around this time of year. It would start with my father when he was alive and his birthday was July 28th then my half-sister was July 31st and my birthday on the 1st of August and an uncle on the 2nd of August and then my brother on the 10th of August. My Father, half-sister, uncle and brother are no longer with us. My cat and I are both in August and have a friend that lives here that has a birthday the day after my cat in August. On Facebook they send you announcements when it is someone's birthday and this year and last year I got a surprise Happy birthday wish from my nephew that I have not talked to in ages or seen in ages. I am not surprised why he started to wish me a Happy Birthday but I was surprised. Maybe because his father is no longer around he thought he should acknowlege me. For whatever reason it is nice and I will have to remember to wish him one when his birthday rolls around.
Thanks so much for this response. I remember that you told me about your brother and me sharing the same August 10th birthday. I was born in 1955, though I don't remember whether I am older or younger than he is, or than you. And I wish you a happy birthday this month (your English bday), though I do understand that it is a time of mourning for you. I want you to know that I simply celebrate that life has been given to you during this time. I don't remember when you celebrate your Hebrew birthday. I know that Sophie is a lucky cat with those gifts. You are a good human mama for her!
@Hannihar it sounds like a wonderful celebration
• Israel
Oh, your birthday month ! Enjoy all the gifts this month! Celebrate your birthday as you like and be happy ! I had a friend who gave herself a 40th bash. She gave these fabulous parties for her young sons each year, and she said she deserved to finally plan a big party of her own - and she did! Some family members gave her flack for it - saying it's ridiculous - but hey, I was glad she did this for herself - she got to be the birthday girl for once!
I understand. I threw myself my 57th birthday party, thinking it would be my last. I had also threw my 55th, my double nickel birthday. Born in 55, then 55 yrs old, and 5+5=10, birthday on the 10th in the year 2010. I figured it might be a lucky year. I guess it kind of was. Then the next few years really sucked. LOL
@TheSojourner I'm glad you had more birthdays after 57 . 55 - love all that! I have a lot of mixed emotions about birthdays but well those are long stories. Pandemic has got me thinking I should thank my lucky stars that any of us can celebrate life each year from here on out.
@much2say I wish that I could have celebrated or had other people celebrate my birthdays. I've always tried to make other people's birthdays more special, but they just seem to have taken the back seat to everything now.
@moonandstars (60575)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i am envy of these gift cards but glad for you
I hope to use some of them this year.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@TheSojourner that would be good, to treat yourself a bit but, when is your birtday actually?
@moonandstars On Wednesday
@kaylachan (35698)
Nothing wrong with taking a month to celebrate. July is my favorite month, because not only does it have the 4th of July, but my birthday, too. So I have always loved it. So enjoy yours.
Thanks!! I know you had some good excursions!
@kaylachan (35698)
@TheSojourner Yes, I did. The best was the return trip to the Beach.
@kaylachan I knew how much you were enjoying going back!
I am glad you decided to celebrate during the whole month and not ignore your birthday. My niece always complained because she was born in July and so she never had a celebration in her classroom. Her baby daughter was born the day of Christmas, what should she say???
I always thought it was "cool" when someone had a 24 or 25 December birthday, until they told me they never got birthday presents. *laughs*
@TheSojourner I have a cousin who was born the 24th of December and he never had birthday presents, now also the daughter of my niece.
@wolfgirl569 (58211)
• Marion, Ohio
Thats a great way to start your birthday month. We are allowed to celebrate them however we want. I mostly ignore mine
I don't want to ignore mine anymore. I thought that my 57th birthday was going to be my last. I am grateful for each one.
@wolfgirl569 (58211)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner I fully understand.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
We need to do oil changes soon! The thing has been blinking for a few weeks. OOPS. And happy birthday month.
Thanks! And I try to keep my oil changed every 5,000 miles or so.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@TheSojourner I think it's been about 7500 or so since we changed it.
@luisga814 (4723)
• Quezon City, Philippines
Yes. Same to me as well. While the clock is ticking, I'm very excited to my upcoming birthday. Anyway, since, you'll celebrate your birthday first before, I'll take this opportunity to greet you. "Happy birthday! Have a fruitful and healthy as well as wealthy more birthdays to come."
And the same to you, Luis!
@luisga814 (4723)
• Quezon City, Philippines
@TheSojourner You're welcome and thanks also.
I feel your pain about August birthdays. I also had a few other things happen for my birthday that were scary or sad. It has been a long time since I have celebrated my birthday, but this year my daughter will be here for it. That will be my treat.
When is your day, Heather? And yes, as we grow older, from start to finish, scary and sad effects each day. Unfortunately, I tend to remember these dates. It makes life tougher. I wish I didn't remember so many anniversary dates of so many things.
What day is your birthday, Coralita? I am very into birthdays and until the pandemia started I had awesome birthday parties. This year I had a very small party party but we had lots of fun. It is easier to remember a month than a day so August is and will be your birthmonth Happy birthmonth to you!!!
My actual day is the 10th.
I applaud you for celebrating like you do. I wonder what the next 2 gifts will be??
I'm not sure. Maybe something in my email.
@valmnz (17268)
• New Zealand
I like the way so many businesses offer a celebratory reward these days. Likewise, I choose to celebrate for the whole of March.
I do, as well. I have my favorites.
I can totally relate to the summer holiday birthday thing. Mine is in July and living out in the country on a farm and attending an inter city school, there was never a birthday party with my school friends. My Dad was a farmer, and typically he was harvesting wheat during the week of my birthday, so having him at the table on my birthday was such a treat. I think that its only right to celebrate and embrace every single day of August, I did the same in July.
I'm glad to know that I am not the only one that feels that way!!!
I always get annoyed when people talk about their "birthday month" or "birthday week". I will make an exception for you because I love you.
Well, I'm glad that I am your annoyance exception! ;-)
@LindaOHio (99393)
Hubby's birthday is the 20th, yours is the 10th and our housekeeper's is the 24th. I hope you have a great birthday month.