I couldn't really plan anything for dinner

I did not plan much for dinner. In fact, I wasn't sure when RGD was going to be able to get back. He was waiting for the car and waiting for the mechanics to get back to him with the bill. Without getting into too much of the details, he waited around and never got a phone call, so he was in that area and the maintenance manager didn't get to him. RGD was not happy and is ready to not ever take a vehicle back to them. They ended up giving him the key, but the work is still not been paid for and now RGD will have to go back to the station tomorrow morning to settle the bill. Unfortunately, he won't be assertive and tell them what was going on. When he related the story to me, I asked him if he had said certain things that he shared with me to them. And he replied in the negative. It made me realize that he doesn't handle conflict very well, and he can be rather passive-aggressive about things. When he does say something, he can be extremely aggressive. There is a thin line between assertiveness and aggressiveness. So, getting back to dinner... He did not get back to my place until about 7:20 p.m. He had been gone, dealing with all of that car stuff, for 11 1/2 hours. I had a 1.5 lb package of 93% lean beef, which needed to be cooked. I bought it on sale for $5.10. To it, I added 1/2 small onion ($0.10); 2 ribs celery ($0.10); garlic powder, black pepper, dried herbs, and salt; one can of diced tomatoes ($0.99); and, one zucchini ($0.98). I boiled up a box of pasta shells ($0.99 on sale), and it was a very easy dinner. When RGD came in, we just dished up a bowlful of pasta with the meat and vegetables, and I passed a little bit of grated Parmesan cheese over it. It hit the spot and neither of us had to think too much about it. There are plenty of leftovers, at least four and maybe six servings, to have over the next few days. So, for $8.36, I was able to get about eight servings of this quick and easy main course deal. Photo is my own
@luisga814 (4997)
• Quezon City, Philippines
It seems that ground beef is delicious. Love it.
I enjoy ground beef, as long as it is 93% lean.
@luisga814 (4997)
• Quezon City, Philippines
@TheSojourner That's great to know. Here, as much as I've wanted to have that, it's too expensive.
@luisga814 I found it on sale for $4.04 per pound. It is a good price for it, but I am buying more pork and chicken when I can find it on especially great prices lately. I am set for awhile, as I have no more room in the freezer.
@Torunn (8798)
• Norway
I had a pizza in Steinkjer, 120 km north-east from Trondheim. I went on a train-trip with a friend, 27000 steps today. Another train trip planned for tomorrow, so the food I've planned to cook will have to wait for next week. I let my father handle all of the car stuff. He is not very good at assertive either, but also not very aggressive in any way, passive or active. So when there's trouble, he'll just go there and be an annoying physicist.
@Torunn (8798)
• Norway
@TheSojourner I am not sure you can retire from being a physicist. My dad is retired, but the physicist part sticks, so I suppose that'll happen with me too ;-)
@Torunn And the personality of the accountant never changes either. LOL
when I say he is aggressive, it is passively so. And he is an annoying retired account, when there is trouble. LOL
How frustrating for RGD, but yah, things could possibly be less frustrating with better communication. I love to do that with ground beef or turkey - add some vegetables and a canned tomato whatever . . . add some herbs and throw it on some pasta - voila.
@TheSojourner How are the boxed tomatoes? I love meatier stuff to go with pasta!
@much2say I like the food when it's canned in those boxes. They are much easier to store, in my opinion.
Yes, that was pretty much it. Yesterday was onions, zucchini, and celery, and the box of the tomatoes. I put it in a pound and a half of meat, so it was a lot more protein. And I refuse to cook more pasta. I'm mixed up what I had with the meat, so at least it's high protein and lower carb than what I typically would have if I were cooking for it a larger family.
Pasta is always what I make when I am short in time. I served spaghetti "aglio e olio" (olive oil, hot pepper and garlic) for lunch. I worked all the morning with my husband and we finished that it was already 11:45, we were ready to eat by noon.
That's my favorite--aglio e olio--but not so much for RGD. He is more "typical American" when it comes to some foods.
@LadyDuck I bought some calabrian peppers that I found in jars at a specialty shop not long ago. I will have to try those.
@TheSojourner My husband likes a lot "aglio e olio" and I move all the pieces of hot pepper to his dish, I like the taste, but I do not eat hot peppers.
@wolfgirl569 (58593)
• Marion, Ohio
Fast and easy is always good
@wolfgirl569 never mind. I was trying to be inappropriately funny.
That's what "he" used to say. Of course, I disagree.
@wolfgirl569 (58593)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner When you dont know when you will cook or when it is very hot out it is good.
@SonjaRae (11484)
Oh goodness. I imagine his frustration level was through the roof! Dinner turned out nicely!
It's what I ate for breakfast and lunch! LOL Yes, he was so upset about it. I talked to him tonight and the bill was about $800. I still need to get the back brakes done.
@SonjaRae yes, they are. This needed some routine work that I've not been done. The car is 2012, and I don't think the transmission fluids had ever been changed, as it only had 60,000 miles on it. After 10 years it really needed that. And it still has the original brakes on it, so they aren't bad, but they're going to need to be replaced within the next few months I think. I'm not heavy on the brakes. Even on the versa, which I drove almost exclusively those years before we got the Kia, just had its first new brakes on it, with over 100,000 miles
@SonjaRae (11484)
@TheSojourner Automobile repairs are expensive!
Poor him, and poor you for hearing the story behind it all. He literally spent about half of his day there, how exhausting. I love doing up ground beef, there is so many things that can come from some browned ground. Tonight its homemade burgers here and beans. Easy peasy, right up my alley.
I need to start figuring out more easy peasy. I'm just getting tired of cooking.
@Juliaacv it's fun!
@TheSojourner I love to experiement.
A good use of the money
I have to stop spending now. I cannot fit anything in the freezer again. *yikes!*
@Ronrybs (16021)
• London, England
I seldom plan ahead and frequently throw something together last minute. Meal times can be quite surprising!
That they can be!!
@LindaOHio (99950)
I'm sorry RGD had such a problem with the mechanics. Sounds like a good dinner.
It was okay. But thanks.