The Littlest Raccoon

Olney, Illinois
Second visit from this little thing, and the first visit since the big storm that pummeled the area a few days ago. Unlike Monday's adventure (4 days ago) it wasn't spooked at all when the cats and I went out on the porch to set up the camera and get a few shots of it. The bottom half of this photo is the three adults that showed up yesterday (Thursday) so you can tell how little this young'un actually is. Hell, Emoci is bigger than it. YouTube link is 48 seconds of the little one feeding this morning...and if cute was a verb, this thing 'cutes' at me a couple of times.
Your browser isn’t supported anymore. Update it to get the best YouTube experience and our latest features. Learn moreRemind me later
• Rockingham, Australia
He is certainly cute. What gorgeous faces they have.
• Olney, Illinois
This guy/gal is the reason I have started stripping a few ears of corn to scatter on the ground in the early morning, it doesn't care for it much if it is still on the cob.
• Olney, Illinois
@JudyEv Just doesn't have the strength in its front paws yet to work it loose. I watched it unsuccessfully try a few times before I decided to scatter kernels. Give it another week or so and it'll be developed more.
• Rockingham, Australia
@PhredWreck He's certainly making a meal of what he's finding on the ground. Maybe taking it off the cob is something he'll learn from the adults in time.
@FourWalls (45860)
Thank you, “cute” is now a verb. I noticed he (I’m old, unknown genders are “he” to me) didn’t use his hands much except at the very end. That’s one of the things I love about watching raccoons: how they use their hands. I guess he hasn’t learned yet.
• Olney, Illinois
My 3 adults yesterday were doing quite a bit of patting and picking up the corn
• Olney, Illinois
@FourWalls I actually remember that one
@FourWalls (45860)
@PhredWreckThe Electric Company anticipated cute becoming a verb.
He now knows that you are a friendly human and he can trust you. I am glad the little thing is safe.
• Olney, Illinois
I hadn't seen it since the morning of the storm, glad it made it through okay.
@PhredWreck I am so concerned when we have storms and I do not see around the usual critters that visit my garden.
@DaddyEvil (88283)
He's got no time to waste watching you or the cats! Gotta gobble that corn down! I can't remember if I told you about the two squirrels playing with a rabbit in our back yard a few days ago. The squirrels would run up to the rabbit, jump over him and then wait for him to take a couple of hops before they'd do it again. The poor bunny didn't know what to make of them. Pretty and I watched them for about ten minutes before something spooked the rabbit... when he ran off, the squirrels shot up the walnut tree at our kitchen window.
• Olney, Illinois
I'm a bit surprised I don't see many rabbits. I occasionally have one show up here or over in Mr Luthe's yard catercorner from me. (Mr Luthe is who lost the tree trunk the other day in the storm)
@wolfgirl569 (58534)
• Marion, Ohio
They are very cute when little like that.
• Olney, Illinois
Yeah, before they get big and fat and start destroying my feeders
@wolfgirl569 (58534)
• Marion, Ohio
@PhredWreck Yep. Very destructive critters
@kobesbuddy (153060)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Those are brave raccoons, Emoci isn't intimidating to them in the least bit.
• Olney, Illinois
Scar messed with one when he was about a year old and got his paw bit which got infected and he didn't try anything dumb after that
@kobesbuddy (153060)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@PhredWreck Even the babies can pose as a threat, if they get cornered or picked up.
Sounds as if it could be the title of a children's story book. Very cute little one.
Wow he really is little and yes he's cute in the video
• Olney, Illinois
Can't have been on its own for more than about a week or two. I keep expecting to see a few more, I know they're around.
@cacay1 (73691)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
They're so cute little things there's none here in the city where I live.
@VivaLaDani13 (56444)
• Perth, Australia
@PhredWreck The way this little cutie looks in the direction of the camera....my heart just melts. SO ADORABLE! I enjoy all the photos and videos you take of all the critters you get to see but seeing my favourite animal is such a treat!
• Olney, Illinois
Iffen I wasn't such an ice cold Grinch my heart would melt
• Perth, Australia
@PhredWreck aww! I am a grinch when it comes to people these days. But a wittle raccoon! OH so cute!
@RubyHawk (67460)
• Atlanta, Georgia
they are brave raccoons to come up to your porch.
@LindaOHio (99898)
Love the pictures and the video. Cute little critter.
• Olney, Illinois
Just the sweetest lil' face.
@oahuwriter (24705)
How nice a raccoon family visit!
@arunima25 (74998)
• Bangalore, India
What are those little yellow things in the ground that it is nibbling? It's definitely cute!( Adjective) And you are lucky if this thing cutes( verb) at you a couple of times
• Olney, Illinois
Those are kernels of corn, I stripped a few ears and scattered it out at the tree this morning.