With all this talk about pot pies

This past week, many people were talking about having pot pies for dinner. I decided to eat one for a fairly late dinner tonight This week, I went to the commissary and looked for the Marie Callender pot pie. I also found that the store carried the Boston Market pot pies. They carried both of them, as well as the Banquet brand. I opted for the Boston Market, at a cost of $1.75. The Marie Callender's was priced at over $3.00. This one wasn't too bad. It had white meat chicken breast cubes in it and there were about 18 chunks of chicken in it. There were not many vegetables, but it did have a little bit of corn, carrots, and a few peas. The gravy was quite thin, and not real flavorful, but it wasn't as salty as I expected that it would be. Of course, I opted for a lot of black pepper. I suppose that I'm going to have to try a few different brands to see which one I like the best, but for this price and the flavor of it, I find that it could be a good option to have in the freezer from time to time.
@wolfgirl569 (58534)
• Marion, Ohio
None of them are as loaded as they used to be.
Everyone is skipping more and more of the good stuff.
@wolfgirl569 (58534)
• Marion, Ohio
@MarieCoyle The last I bought was mostly gravy.
My son says they have lots of gravy and very little filling. I haven't had one in years. Maybe this winter I will try one.
@SonjaRae (11435)
I can tell you banquet are not good. Treat yourself one time to a Marie calendars and do so sooner than later so you can remember what the Boston one was like. The Marie calendars also have cubed white meat there are carrots and peas and the sauce is nice and creamy it’s not runny
I am one of those weird people who just makes a homemade one once in a while. They taste so good...and I can put in whatever I want. But if I was buying one, it would be Marie Calandar's. If you see a Schwann's truck (delivery of frozen goods) they used to make one that my daughter bought sometimes, I don't know if they still do. It wasn't bad, but pricey.
Marie calendars are good
@SonjaRae (11435)
@marlina of everything I’ve tried, the different brands, Marie Calendar’s are the best I’ve encountered
My sister makes a delicious chicken pot pies, lots of chicken.
I have made tourtiere at Christmas Eve the last several years. RGD told me that mine were better than his mother's. LOL
@marlina She wasn't a very good cook, quite honestly. LOL
@TheSojourner Glad that his Mom does not hear that!
@Deepizzaguy (69649)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Pot pies are great meals to have for a meal. They are great with rice.
I used to eat one with a microwaved baked potato. I would really like two pies (Banquet cheapies) but at 300 calories each that is so bad for me. Potato was a good way to enjoy the gravy I think @Deepizzaguy likes rice a lot. I see him mention it often. I like rice from time to time.
@marlina I wouldn't either. The carbs from the pie crust would be enough.
I would never eat pot pies with rice.
@kobesbuddy (153052)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Jay used to buy the Marie Callander's pot pies, either chicken or turkey. We haven't had any for quite a while. I'm not sure why he stopped buying them.
MC is nearly twice the cost of the Boston Market, but I'll buy one to try it to make the taste test comparison
@kobesbuddy They were a casual restaurant. We used to have a couple of them in WA state years ago, but no more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Market
@kobesbuddy (153052)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheSojourner I've never heard of the Boston Market. There's a family down by my daughter's home, they produce pot pies. I can't recall their name.
@LindaOHio (99898)
Nothing beats homemade. I used to fill it to the top with chicken and veggies...I've tried a couple of brands plus our grocery store ready-made pot pies. That was a waste of money. I have yet to try Marie Callender. Hopefully theirs will be much better.
I won't spend the money on the cheap Banquets. I will try MC. The Boston Market wasn't too bad
@LindaOHio sounds like a good idea. But you're probably need to find some room in your freezer first!
@LindaOHio (99898)
@TheSojourner I should have hubs pick up a MC when they go on sale.
I want to make a homemade one - another food project on the plan list .
I like pot pies with double crust, when they are commercial, if they are good. However, when I make them at home, I like a very think stew-like one, and a top crust only.
Having lived in a beautiful little Francophone village for over 2 decades I got spoiled by being able to order homemade toutiere pies. They are a French meat pie and in my opinion, there are no words to describe their delicious taste. After having those I cannot bring myself to try a frozen meat pie, although I am sure that some of them are great.
Being around RGD, and his French Canadian family, I'd heard much about the tourtiere. The last several Christmas Eves I have made one for him as a gift. I think it's quickly becoming a Christmas Eve dinner tradition. I wish that I would have done so years ago. And I make a damned good one, too, if I do say so! LOL
I tried a few cooked frozen dishes and there is always a lot of gravy and very little of the other ingredients. This one does not seem too bad.
This wasn't bad. I'll try the other brand (Marie Callender's) just for the comparison. It's nice to have something easy in the freezer. I do have individual pie plates, so I might start making my own and freezing them, once I get through the freezer inventory that is filled back up. LOL
@TheSojourner I have to consume a few things to empty the freezer in the laundry room before Thursday. The past Saturday the washing machine broke, we bought a new one and it will be installed on Thursday. I want to move the freezer so they can work easier in that area.
Pot pie was on my mind today. But I didn't have any, I use a lot of Mrs. Dash to add flavor.
Yes, Mrs. Dash is good, too.
@TheSojourner I like it a lot.
@Ronrybs (16009)
• London, England
Most of the pies, we can buy, need extra veg, so I pout extra in the steamer
That's one way to do it!
@aninditasen (7848)
• Raurkela, India
I make pies at home with both fruits and vegetables.
What is your favorite pie to make?
• Raurkela, India
@TheSojourner Apple pie and those with winter vegetables.
@SonjaRae (11435)
And like somebody said to me I see you like a little bit of Pot Pie with your black pepper lol
Yes, I do like a little bit of pot pie with my pepper!
@SonjaRae (11435)
@TheSojourner I corrected it lol I guess I must not be annunciating properly and I’m not reviewing it before I hit comment lol
@Beestring (3416)
I've never had pot pies before. This looks delicious.
It was easy and not too bad