Self driving car.

@xFiacre (10694)
Ireland
Last week I was driving along a road close to where I live, in a heavily populated area. It was early on a Saturday morning, so fairly quiet. I was happy, probably, although on my way to a funeral, and I vaguely registered that there was something odd going on with the car driving towards me. It was hard to decide what was wrong with the situation, but something was definitely off - no-one was in the driver’s seat, but it took a while for my happy brain to figure that out. Yes, no driver. Slowly it trundled past me as I was paralysed with uncertainty, and then I saw a young man running frantically down the road behind the car and he was shouting “Stop, stop”!! When it passed me the car veered across the road, hitting the kerb stone which stopped it in its tracks and there it rested allowing its cross (and negligent) owner to catch up with it. No harm done thankfully.
Must have been scary for sure.
@LeaPea2417 (34325)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Oh my goodness, I am at a loss for words!
I do not trust those cars, we do not need them, we have enough brainless drivers, we do not need also driverless cars.
Agree!
@marlina We have already so many problems, I wonder why we are trying to have more.
@LadyDuck This is exactly what I think. WE have a beautiful world to enjoy and somehow some people always manage to spoil things.
@Fleura (20962)
That was lucky! I almost did that once. I stopped at some remote spot in Scotland to take a photo of the beautiful scenery. I obviously hadn't put the handbrake on tightly enough and the car started to roll slowly down the slope. Luckily I noticed almost straight away and was able to jump in again, otherwise it could have rolled down the hill and off into the heather!
That would definitely be a freaky experience to be sure. Glad it didn't come closer to you.
Examples like this is why I don’t trust “high” technology. That car should be banned from the road.
• Rockingham, Australia
Oh wow, thank goodness it didn't collide with you.
@xander6464 (35326)
• Wapello, Iowa
History is echoing itself again. This is much like when the very first horseless carriages took to the road. The only major difference is that the first cars had human drivers.
@xFiacre (10694)
@xander6464 And yet whereas men with big shovels had to clean up after the horses, the sight of a driverless car careening along the road in modern times could well require as big a shovel and fresh underwear.
@xander6464 (35326)
• Wapello, Iowa
@xFiacre That's an economic plus. It's job security for undergarment makers.
@xFiacre (10694)
@xander6464 Don’t you just hate buying underwear? I am often tempted to say to the checkout girl who’s trying not to notice that she’s handling my underwear, “they’re not for me”.
• Walnut Creek, California
I prefer cars with drivers. As I sat watching planes land at SFO today with my date, I also thought, "I also prefer airplanes with 300 people on-board piloted by pilots who can fly an airplane." Am I a radical?
@xFiacre (10694)
@thehorse Just old fashioned.
• Walnut Creek, California
21h
@xFiacre Old-fashioned is my middle name. I had an older friend who was the "oldest flying pilot in Montana." He used to fly DC-10s for Western. Man was he pissed off about how much technology took over airplanes after his retirement.