What To Do? Help!

@SonjaRae (11472)
My friend CJ has a birthday coming up on the 12th. Normally it’s very easy for me to buy him a gift. I know him and his likes so well, that it’s not a struggle. But, here is my dilemma… He doesn’t need anything. He has so much. He buys himself what he wants when he wants it. He has more shoes and clothes and watches and cologne, that I can’t see even getting anything like that. I always try to make gifts thoughtful, but I can’t think of anything to do and I feel like I have waited until the last minute this year to even do anything. Help! What do you get for someone who already has everything?
@FourWalls (45870)
Gift cards are a good idea, if you know where he likes to shop. Grocery store gift cards, especially, because we all have to eat. I know they’re not all that personal, but they are universal.
@SonjaRae (11472)
I think for him, a gift card will fall flat. There won’t be any thought that went into it. It won’t seem personal enough. I have six days to get this crap figure it out lol
This is the friend who likes to go fishing with you? Even if he has everything, may be there is something he would like about going fishing. I know nothing about fishing, may be a special hat, why not a portable fishing weighing scale? If there is really nothing he needs and invitation to a restaurant where he loves to eat.
@SonjaRae I like "personal gifts" and a gift card is very impersonal, while an invitation to a restaurant people know I like is a lot more personal.
@SonjaRae (11472)
@LadyDuck Yes ma’am I agree personal is best
@SonjaRae (11472)
Yes it is the friend that I go fishing with. He owns a boat and pretty much has everything that he needs fishing wise. I’m still thinking of options but a gift card are going to dinner might be the option.
Have you thought of maybe making him something? Doesn't really matter what it is. Something you made just for him could be that special gift you may talk about for years.
@SonjaRae .......I bet you will come up with something he will enjoy for years to come.
@SonjaRae (11472)
@celticeagle I will try!
@SonjaRae (11472)
I’m starting to think along those lines. It may be my only option! Thank you!
Make it personal. Use his interests to give you direction. If he has collections or likes sports or has hobbies, find him something special in one of those areas. If he likes cheesecake, make him one. He will appreciate any gift I'm sure but he will love something that's personal. Not like shoes or a generic item of clothing. Something he may not buy for himself but would love getting as a thoughtful gift. Good luck.
@SonjaRae Oh. A Cowboy fan eh? Get him some charcoal in new socks and a naughty puppy.
@SonjaRae (11472)
@SonjaRae (11472)
Dallas Cowboys is his team, but when insay HE HAS EVERYTHING! Sheesh! I will try to come up with something!
@LindaOHio (99897)
Some sort of treat is always good. His favorite nuts, candy or some other treat. A gift card to his favorite restaurant.
@LindaOHio (99897)
@SonjaRae Yup. I would love something like that. Maybe he will too!
@SonjaRae (11472)
@LindaOHio I hope so!
@SonjaRae (11472)
Great ideas! Hmmm a basket that I make up! I can put all sorts of things in there.
Books are always a good idea. Depends on your budget. Maybe something for the house?
@SonjaRae (11472)
He is not a reader, but that would be a good idea!
@SonjaRae (11472)
@Greencindere Yes ma’am NERVE WRECKING for certain!
@SonjaRae I feel ya! My bestie’s bday is on August 13th and she lives in Portugal and I’m currently in Zambia. She is also getting married in late September so me and hubby have been brainstorming on what to get her. It’s nerve wrecking
@wolfgirl569 (58562)
• Marion, Ohio
For those a gift card to a favorite restaurant is good.
@SonjaRae (11472)
I get that that’s some thing that he might enjoy that he can use at a later date.
@sallypup (49311)
• Moses Lake, Washington
This is birthday month for many of my sisters. I bought little pins for two of them but the third one?? She doesn't need anything. Maybe buy her a day at a spa? Buy your buddy an experience or write up a note telling him you will spend a day doing what ever pleases him?
@SonjaRae (11472)
I thought about buying a gift certificate to a spa for a deep tissue massage, but I know he wouldn’t be comfortable going. I’ll keep thinking!
• Rockingham, Australia
Can you make him something? Or make up a gift basket with little bits and pieces so it's personal. I sometimes buy Vince a fancy yachting magazine. He enjoys poring over the magnificent vessels and oohing and aahing. Take him out to dinner, a movie, a picnic.
@SonjaRae (11472)
Those are all some great ideas Judy thank you
@aninditasen (7848)
• Raurkela, India
You can cook for him whatever he likes on his birthday or a wonderful cake, that's his favourite.
• Raurkela, India
@SonjaRae Thanks you liked it.
@SonjaRae (11472)
Those are wonderful ideas thank you
@thelme55 (75752)
Maybe a gift voucher for a spa treatment. That would be good for a gift.
@thelme55 (75752)
@SonjaRae You are welcome. When I don’t know what to give for a gift, a massage treatment or beauty treatment like manicure, pedicure or champisage voucher is my „go to“ gift.
@SonjaRae (11472)
Thank you Thelma for the wonderful ideas
@SonjaRae (11472)
@thelme55 All of those are very lovely gift ideas as well
@Scrapper88 (5042)
What about taking him to one of his favorite restaurants and let him order what he likes to eat.
@SonjaRae (11472)
Restaurant is a good idea, but since Covid, he doesn’t like going out. It is sooo challenging.
@SonjaRae (11472)
@Scrapper88 That is a great idea! I will look into that. Thank you for the suggestion.
@SonjaRae There are a few places to where people can sit outside. See if he would be interested in something like that.
@MarieCoyle (6927)
Can you plan an overnight type of fishing trip? I remember you like to fish, he does too, right? A gift of time and experiences is, to me, the best gift. Next to good coffee, of course.
@SonjaRae (11472)
He does loves to fish. I go with him when he goes. He does not however like nighttime fishing. No camping, unless an all amenities cabin is involved! Haha And of course he hates coffee! Lol
@SonjaRae (11472)
@MarieCoyle yes he hates coffee he doesn’t even like the smell of it. I remember one day he accidentally grabbed a drink that I had in my cup when we were out fishing I had iced coffee. The look on his face as he spit it out was priceless
@SonjaRae Oh, my! He hate’s coffee? More for us coffee lovers!
@Beestring (3416)
If he doesn't like to dine outside, can you prepare a dinner for him? Make the dishes he enjoy. Don't forget a cake of course.
@SonjaRae (11472)
The cake will be the easy part lol
@Beestring (3416)
Hmmm, this is a good one. If he has everything what about giving him an experience? Would he like to do a pottery class (with you) or go to a make your own charcuterie board workshop together? Or plan a day, leave take him to a park, bring along a nice picnic and maybe a grill, or not, and stretch your outing out as long as you can. Don't forget to surprise him with a small cake on that picnic.
@SonjaRae (11472)
Unfortunately he’s not the picnic kind of person. He definitely would not like a pottery class or anything like that. I’m sure we can plan to go fishing on another day. But for him his birthday is the day that he was born. Since Covid, he doesn’t like to go do anything that requires close quarters or around people. I’m really stuck this year
Sorry, can't help you here.
@SonjaRae (11472)
I’m no help to myself Marlins! No worries.
@1creekgirl (32811)
Even though we're not wealthy, our family is blessed to have all we need and pretty much what we want. We've found that experiences make wonderful gifts. Maybe something like that for your friend?
@gtdoss (511)
Someone in the comments had the idea of buying your friend an experience. That sounds like a great idea to me, especially if you know all his likes and dislikes. I'm not sure what your budget is, and experiences can be on the expensive side, but maybe you can come up with an idea for an experience he would enjoy within your budget.
@Nakitakona (51100)
Just send him a birthday card. For sure, he would be delighted about it
ohh maybe dont give him a gift. but have both of you go into something good. like mall or something, I got my brother games for his computer