Nothing fancy for dinner tonight, but simple and easy, thanks to the Instant Pot!

As most of you know, I usually cook from scratch, paying attention to the flavors and ungredients. Sometimes, like tonight, I don't really want to cook, so I do things that are easy for me. Tonight is one of those nights. I suppose this is a version of what some people get when they buy a product called, Hamburger Helper. Still, I tend to cook primarily using fresh ingredients or dried things from my pantry, and very few things that are pre-made. Tonight, I used my instant pot, electric pressure cooker, to assist me in a quick meal. I used mostly fresh ingredients, that didn't cost me a whole lot. I used half of package of 93% ground beef that I got on sale. My cost for the half package: $2.60. I sliced crimini mushrooms in it, have a cost of $0.75. Instead of using fresh onions and garlic and fresh herbs, I used dried minced onions, garlic powder, and dried oregano and basil and other herbs that I had in my cupboard, some of which I grew myself. Of course, there is salt and pepper. As well, I used homemade chicken stock, made from the bones of the chicken I bought 2 weeks ago. The cost of all of this is negligible. I had a half package of shell pasta and a half jar of tomato sauce. Total cost: $2.00 Total cost for the meal is approximately $6, considering I also had a small salad. I'm sure that this will be at least for servings for me, so about $1.35 per serving of the pasta dish. Once the meat and mushrooms were browned, I added the chicken broth and the pasta, making sure that it was covered with liquid. Then, I place the tomato sauce over the top, as the instructions called for, and I set my instant pot for 5 minutes pressure cook on high. Once it is complete, it will be 2 minutes on natural release. We will have to see how this turns out. It's certainly not italian, and I'm sure that Anna will cringe when she reads this! However, it's a quick easy dish that I hope doesn't turn out like mush. I'm thinking it will be more like some of what we ate when we were kids with the casserole dishes in the United States! I just finished my salad, and I heard the 5 minutes beeper go off, so I'm going to make my way to the kitchen. Photo is my own
@SonjaRae (15266)
That looks delicious. Hamburger helper lol
It really is pretty much what Hamburger helper is. LOL
@SonjaRae I suppose. It was just meat and pasta and broth and marinara and some spices.
@SonjaRae (15266)
@TheSojourner It is more goulash looking.
• Walnut Creek, California
Hope it's good. I always enjoy a salad before or with.
It was edible. I felt like I was back at a church social! Lol
• Walnut Creek, California
@TheSojourner Um...does that mean it's a "recipe" you won't repeat?
@TheHorse it's something I threw together. I don't know if I'll make something like it again.
I love these quick meals. You pull ingredients that you already have and know will go together . . . and there you go. I swear that I can even eat this on top of rice .
No, no rice for this one. It ended up a bit dryer because it absorbed everything so the rice would not have been a good idea
@TheSojourner I bet I could still eat it with rice. My mom used to put out boxed mac and cheese or hamburger helper (along with other miscellanous leftovers) all on the table - and always served the mish mosh of things with rice. Rice seemed to always be the base for everything .
@much2say that's funny.
@FourWalls (47499)
Casseroles fed the south! (I saw a meme on Facebook that said, “My neighbor asked what she needed to do to join my church. I said, ‘Believe in Jesus and have an 8 x 13 casserole dish.’” ) It looks good and sounds yummy!
That's great! The whole 1950s and '60s were super casserole years anyway! I love that little joke!
@wolfgirl569 (61680)
• Marion, Ohio
It looks good. Hope it was
It was okay. Pretty much Church social potluck dinner! LOL
It looks delicious and made my stomach growl. I had a tooth extracted today so no solid foods for a few days. I'm sad and hungry. Lol
I'm sorry to hear about the tooth extraction. I know how tough those can be. Get well soon!
@Mysticpizza it was edible and quick and easy.
@TheSojourner thanks friend. I hope your meal was enjoyable.
Perhaps it is not fancy for you but it does look attractive for me
I would gladly share it with you.
Well it does look delicious.
Thank you.
my homemade pasta dish.
That meal is going to taste good. I make almost the same thing on the stove . I use 93% ground beef to it was on sale last week for 50% off.
@jstory07 how cool is it that we both use 93% ground beef and shell pasta?
That's so funny that we were similar tonight!
@TheSojourner My husband loves the pasta meals that I make.
I do not cringe Coral, but I like to boil the pasta separately because I do not like the amidon released in the liquid in which it cooks. Minced meat with mushrooms is something I like.
I prefer to do it that way, as well. But, this took 5 minutes in my instant pot plus a little bit of prep time! LOL
@LadyDuck I understand. However, that starch can add some body to certain things.
@TheSojourner I remember when Mom added pasta to the minestrone. I asked her to take out my portion before adding the pasta. I boiled the small pasta and added it when it was ready.
@LindaOHio (104585)
Sounds like the kind of meal that hubby usually likes. Looks great.
Simple fare
@oahuwriter (26267)
Nice, dinner! Sometimes you just want comfort food! I cooked up my hamburger wontons, froze some for later. Been munching on my wontons today. Just polished off, 2 frozen waffles with strawberry jam and blueberry jam. Full now.
I should try making wontons again.
@oahuwriter for my daughter's 15th birthday party, I made 1,000 lumpia. I understand what a lot of work is for things of that nature!
@oahuwriter (26267)
@TheSojourner Wontons are good in and can freeze cooked ones, to warm as needed. It's a lot of cooking though.
@MarieCoyle (8277)
It kind of looks a lot like my own version of my grandma's goulash, which is something we all like. Mine varies in looks as I use whatever pasta that's available, but it tastes good. Good comfort food!
I'm going to stop making this kind of thing because I need to really control the amount of carb and wheat products. I can tend to overeat these things too easily.
@TheSojourner Believe me, I completely understand that. For me to have pasta is a treat now.