Frugal Living: One Skillet Meal with what I had on hand

Firstly, I want to say that I made enough of this in a skillet to serve three to four people. If I served a salad with it, easily four. I started with two chicken andouille sausages. I added onions and celery, and I browned all of them up in a little bit of olive oil. Then I added some acini di pepe, which is a form of pasta. The name is Italian for "seeds of pepper". It's very similar to couscous. But I toasted it with the olive oil and the other things that were in the pan, before adding enough water and bouillon to cook it. I also added two tablespoons of jarred salsa, and turn the heat down and covered it until the pasta absorbed the liquid. Then, I added some frozen peas to the mix, and heated it all up until it was done. Sometimes, I make something like this with rice, but I do enjoy the small pastas to use in this kind of fashion. These are the kinds of things that you can use to feed a larger family for little money. All you have to do is cut up a couple of sausages or use a small amount of meat and it extends that meal so that you can feed more than just what we would serve if you gave them each one or two sausages each. It's nothing fancy, but it can be quite delicious and give you all sorts of options to feed a family. Photo is my own
@arunima25 (75965)
• Bangalore, India
Wow! That looks so delicious and tempting . I would love that without meat. It looks very similar to one of the meals that I cook with pearl millet.. That is healthy and very yummy.
Thank you. I often make something like this as a vegetarian dish or I will use kidney beans in it and have it more highly spiced.
@arunima25 I enjoy a little bite to it, but cannot handle the hottest of spices much any more. moderate heat is fine.
@arunima25 (75965)
• Bangalore, India
@TheSojourner Wow! Sounds good. Full of nutritional goodness and I am sure that the spices do the magic. I enjoy spicy food ( moderately spicy).
@RubyHawk (71571)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That’s my kind of cooking except without the meat.
As I mentioned to Arunima, I will often make this with red beans and the vegetables, including green bell
@RubyHawk (71571)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheSojourner I mix all sorts of vegetables at different times.
@RubyHawk I like that you are open-minded about many things.
This sounds delicious Easy to make but tasty. I never bought the acini di pepe.
@LadyDuck This one reminds me so much of Israeli couscous that I can handle it. From what I am seeing on the internet, the tempestine looks quite similar.
I don't care for it much in soup, but I like it in this dry style of cooking it. This is a variation of sopa seca, I suppose. Most of the time I don't do it with all of the other ingredients except a little bit of onion and garlic
@TheSojourner - The only very small pasta that I like are the one called "tempestine" and the "farfalline", both egg pasta, rough surface.
• Walnut Creek, California
Looks tasty!
Thank you. It was.
@TheHorse you mean, the pasta? That particular pasta is called acini de pepe
• Walnut Creek, California
@TheSojourner What are them really little things, again?
@SonjaRae (15084)
That looks good. Again another photograph that has me drooling.
It was easy, as you know, and quite tasty. Simple simple food
@SonjaRae (15084)
@MrDenata (2915)
Looks so good, i never use small pasta. As long as it taste good, it doesnt matter its fancy or not. Have a great day
There's something about the tiny pasta that i like. Sometimes, I'll use orzo pasta or melon seed pasta.
@MrDenata (2915)
@TheSojourner noted, maybe i should try it sometimes, thank you so much
What you made looks really good.
Looks interesting
@aninditasen (9360)
• Raurkela, India
Looks and sounds delicious. I think I can try it with chicken in winter when we get fresh peas.
That would be very nice.
• Raurkela, India
@TheSojourner Yes, it would.
@LindaOHio (104159)
A clever meal.