Beetroot pickles are done

All of the beetroot that I have is now put in the brine and will be put in the refrigerator before the end of the day. I had four different varieties of beetroot. I don't know all of the names, but there are golden beets, a large light pink beet, an elongated dark red beet, a small red beet, and a nearly white beer. I have two quarts, one each of two varieties. I also have two pints, one of one variety, and the second of another variety with the addition of a different variety in the same jar. This will last me several months. I'm glad I got it done. Photo is my own. Here is an interesting link about many different varieties of beetroot.
Fancy some new beet varieties for your backyard garden? Check out our roundup of 17 top beet cultivars and choose your favorite now on Gardener's Path.
@LindaOHio (104159)
I had no idea there were so many different varieties of beets.
And that's only 17 of them.
@SonjaRae (15084)
I love how colorful those jars are! Good job getting it done my sister.
Those are the natural colors of the beet varieties, that did that!
@SonjaRae the brine is nothing more than white vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. And then I add cinnamon stick and a few cloves to each of the jars. This time I did not put any onions in any of them.
@SonjaRae (15084)
@TheSojourner That is pretty cool! I don’t know why I figured that there was some sort of food coloring added to make them that vibrant color
@wolfgirl569 (61502)
• Marion, Ohio
Its always nice to get any type of preserving done.
If I were to take a big stock pot, and put the beans and beets that I have in the refrigerator into the pot and bring them up to a boil in the jars, would that shelf stable them so that I wouldn't have to keep them in the fridge?
@wolfgirl569 (61502)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner If boiled long enough. I dont know how long to recommend. You might be able to find info online. I know thats always what mom done and hers lasted more than a year easy. We usually had them ate before they got older than that.
@wolfgirl569 so, as long as there's vinegar in it, I'm understanding water bath canning is fine. But if I were just doing them fresh I'd have to put in a pressure canner? It's the acid that allows me to just do a water bath?
Are the yellow thingies pears?
No, as I mentioned, it is a variety of beetroot.
@Deepizzaguy (71842)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I am happy for you that you have a supply of beetroot to last for several months.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
I don't think I have had beets since I was a kid. Grandma in law used to do canning, but she hasn't in a couple of years. I'll have to go see if I can dig into her stash and find anything.
At some point I should probably learn to go beyond the storing in the refrigerator or freezer.
@thislittlepennyearns not well enough to do it consistently. I'd have to get out a book and see what needs to be water bath. I could do that kind, but I don't do pressure canning and never have.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@TheSojourner You don't know how to do the shelf stable part of canning?