I've been busy slicing vegetables

I have a bunch of vegetables that I need to take care of so they don't end up being thrown away. One was a huge zucchini that has given me about six liters of containers filled with sliced green zucchini. It was huge! Plus I had a yellow pattypan that was about a small bowl size as a whole squash. It took me forever to slice those on my mandoline, but those are done. I also sliced up a medium sized eggplant, and also to small red onions that are pretty strong. Everything reeks of onion. Tomorrow morning I will clean and slice up some red sweet bell peppers. Then I will saute the onions and bell peppers in olive oil along with some garlic and add a little bit of anchovy paste and some hot red pepper and add some tomato puree. Then I will layer all of the squash and eggplant along with some of that sauce in between layers until it fills my casseroles or pans. I will also use some sprigs of time and rosemary from my garden in between the layers to infuse some flavors. I want to get some cheese that will be nice for the top of it. I have enough of the vegetable mixture to make several casserole dishes full, and one I will make with a little bit more of the Mexican inspired flavors and spices and I'll use cotija cheese. Asecond pan I will make with fresh mozzarella cheese. Both of these will be quite low in calories because most of it is vegetable. And I really have enjoyed making these this summer. It's a great way to get a lot of vegetables and have this layered yummy casserole. Any I better go put the top on this container of the onions so that I can put it in the refrigerator. My living room, where I've been slicing vegetables all evening in huge bowls, smells like an onion factory that makes dried onion! Photo is my own
As you may already have read in my previous discussion, I have been busy slicing up zucchini and pattypan squashes, eggplant, and onions. I stored them in the...
@luisga814 (5835)
• Quezon City, Philippines
Yes. I love onions.
I do, as well. These were fairly old and in my onion bin and they are so strong. I need to cook them down before I can use them.
@luisga814 no, now that they're sliced, I have to cook them because they're too strong to eat raw.
@luisga814 (5835)
• Quezon City, Philippines
@TheSojourner Cook before slicing? Just puzzled?
Strong onions make you cry when you slice them. The only way I found to avoid crying is to keep the onion in the refrigerator a couple of hours before slicing... or 20 minutes in the freezer.
@LadyDuck I love onions, but if I were making something like that, I would get tired of smelling them! LOL
It didn't make me cry, but it sure permeated the air! LOL
@TheSojourner I never made onion jam again because of the smell.
@divalounger (6028)
Boy that sounds delicious!
I've been eating this all summer long. So good.
@SonjaRae (14735)
Yummy!
I wish you could taste this sauce I made. I actually cooked some fish with some of it. It will be for lunch tomorrow. I need to head to commissary in a little bit. I want to get these zucchini-eggplant things put together, but need cheese.
@SonjaRae do I need to bring you screen cleaner?
@SonjaRae (14735)
@TheSojourner Well GET THE LEAD OUT! I too wish I could taste it! I tried licking the screen but
@oahuwriter (25975)
Good, but tiring. Nice, no waste too.
It didn't used to seem so tiring.
20h
@oahuwriter I'm still looking for that Fountain of Youth. LOL
@oahuwriter (25975)
@TheSojourner Don't you just wish our youth & stamina wouldn't disappear as we age.
@Beestring (5667)
Sounds like a lot of work there. I like onions, but must be well cooked.
Yes, these will be well cooked. I just needed to slice everything so I can make the "pie."
@Beestring (5667)
I always use tools to do it. I bought a tool and it can slice the potatoes perfectly and then I can make my own potato chips easily. Using the right tool can save a lot of time and it works really well. I am not afraid I don't have a good skill to use the knife.
The tool I use makes perfect slices every time. I've started using that more and more often. It's great for onions and all sorts of things.
With all of the work that you are doing you will have some good tasting casseroles.
Thank you. I will assemble them tomorrow and hopefully bake them
Never had yellow pattypan
@LindaOHio (103696)
You've been very busy. Where will you store all of this?
In the refrigerator until I make the dishes. And then I'll cook them and they can stay for a few days and I can freeze a couple of portions
@yoalldudes (32668)
I wish I know of food preservation and cooking as you do.
@MarieCoyle (8013)
I made a lasagna a few weeks ago using a zucchini sliced lengthwise instead of noodles. It was so good, I was surprised. You are always busy. I know when I chop onions it always remains in the air for aa long time!
I will layer up whatever I can into how many ever vegetable dishes I can muster up. They will be good. I can do all sorts of things with these.