Continuing with cooking projects this morning

As you may already have read in my previous discussion, I have been busy slicing up zucchini and pattypan squashes, eggplant, and onions. I stored them in the refrigerator so that I can access them easily. It is 8:30 this morning and I have already been in the kitchen this morning slicing more vegetables. This time, I sliced thinly sweet red and orange bell peppers, a red jalapeno pepper, and several cloves of garlic. As well, I sliced a potato, and I chopped up some cabbage. The peppers, onions and garlic all were sauteed in a pan with some olive oil, and I added some containers of diced tomatoes, some capers, and a spoonful of anchovy paste to the entire pot. This will be the sauce that I layer with the eggplant and squashes to bake as a squash pie or ratatouille. I just need to get a few things to assemble it all and don't have the proper cheese.. The cabbage and potatoes are all being sauteed with a few slices of hickory bacon. I will just have that for lunch or I may save that concoction and have it with scrambled eggs this weekend for breakfast or lunch. I have a few other things to start prepping because it's time to get that stuff out of the refrigerator and freezer, but I will wait until later this weekend, when I've started to use some of the other things. Tonight, I will make some steamed fish for dinner to have with a salad. I have lettuce, cucumbers, and tomato that I would like to use up. So, that's what I've been doing this morning, and I haven't even had my first cup of coffee yet!
I have a bunch of vegetables that I need to take care of so they don't end up being thrown away. One was a huge zucchini that has given me about six liters of...
@wolfgirl569 (61078)
• Marion, Ohio
Too much work for me early in the morning.
I ended up snoozing this afternoon. It's 5:30 and I'll hit the commissary when I'm done here. I'd like to assemble those casseroles.
@wolfgirl569 I wish my sleep schedule wasn't so screwed up.
@wolfgirl569 (61078)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner Its 8:30 here and I could take a nap. But this late I would then have trouble going to bed later
@RubyHawk (70909)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I filled my crockpot yesterday so I won’t be cooking for a couple of days other than scrambling egg and making green salads.
I am going to make up some Mason jar salads tonight. I'll get those casseroles/ratatouilles made tonight. Then I'll have food for the weekend and don't need to do anything other than reheat.
@RubyHawk I just bought a bunch more jars at the thrift store, and need to start making my breakfast jars, also. That is my intent
@RubyHawk (70909)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheSojourner I intended to make the jar salads but I haven’t yet.
@FourWalls (47163)
Put some cornbread coating on that zucchini and fry it up like fried green ‘maters for a treat and a half. You’re working way too hard for my tastes.
I cannot eat fried food too often. I never did care for fried breaded vegetables either, as I take the coating off and eat the veggies inside. I did the same with tempura, though I could handle a little bit. But nowadays, the breading on any of that kind of thing is too filled with fat/oil and my digestive system/liver/pancreas cannot digest that sort of thing. Sounds good, though. I think this will be the last year for me to work this hard with produce. It's at the point where I'm not enjoying it right now. ROFL
@FourWalls (47163)
@TheSojourner — that Cooper, he’s a hard taskmaster. I can’t eat a lot of fried stuff anymore, either. That’s sad because I really miss fried green tomatoes. I asked one of the restaurants I frequent in the Smokies if they could bake the tomatoes or broil them, and they didn’t want to. I told them I’d pay, regardless of how they turned out, but they said no.
Are you going to eat all this yourself or are you giving a lot away?
I will freeze the vegetable casseroles in manageable pan sizes for later. I also share meals with others who are interested. I have my friend over for several meals a week, and he takes food home with him, as well.
@TheSojourner That sounds good.
@MALUSE It works for me!!
@noni1959 (8771)
That is a lot of prepping. Have you tried thinly slicing zucchini and making chips in the air fryer? I've been experimenting for my chip crunch I crave.
I don't have an air fryer, but I do have a countertop oven. With a turbo convection. I should try that
@noni1959 (8771)
@TheSojourner I don't have a lot of space so the air fryer works best for me. I like making zucchini chips in mine.
@LindaOHio (103442)
That's a lot of work. You deserve a break.
It will be good when I get it all assembled. I bought the ricotta and fresh mozzarella cheese this before the commissary closed. I will get this assembled tomorrow.
@LindaOHio (103442)
@TheSojourner Cheese! The magic touch.
I would slice off a finger if I attempted cutting veggie before I had my coffee You're off to an ambitious start and that squash pie sounds intriguing.
It's my take on ratatouille or a combination of that and whatever else it could be called. LOL
@SonjaRae (14711)
Sounds sooo good!
@MarieCoyle (7971)
I enjoy fresh vegetables so much, I know prepping them ahead really speeds things up for meal time, too. I cooked a bunch of tomatoes down and blended them. I chopped onions, cut off some corn, chopped celery and some green beans, too. Diced up some fresh celery and carrots. Had a huge chunk of steak from when the neighbor gave me a few from his cookout that got rained on, he had cooked them but he made too much. He hates leftovers, so I inherited several cooked steaks. This one was a whopper! Added peas and potatoes, too. It all smells wonderful and it is going to steam in the gigantic Crock Pot until tomorrow. I always add barley, too. I always make way too much vegetable soup, but it never goes to waste, it can easily go in the freezer for future fast meals.
Oh, that sounds so good!