The Next Season Starts Tomorrow

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians. Thanksgiving is such a wonderful time of the year. We all have so much to be thankful for, it is nice to have a holiday to come together to recognize our blessings and to give thanks. The big meal is nice too. Tomorrow starts the next season. At least in my books it does. I will sit down today and make a shopping list and do my best to have it finished before the weather turns cold and wet. My hubs and I decided on a toy for the twins, that part was easy, the rest of the choices will not be as easy or as fun. Some people are hard to shop for. When will your 'next season' start?
Sometime in Nov. I miss the old days when it didn't start until after Thanksgiving though.
@Juliaacv Christmas stuff has been showing up in the stores here since September.
@snowy22315 I know that I have read about other members complaining about that. Our back to school is the beginning of September, and then 6 weeks later we have Thanksgiving, and then Halloween a couple of weeks later, and then everything is Christmas. I am glad that they do not really mix the celebrations, they actually probably make more money that way too. Our big shopping day is Dec 26th which is Boxing Day. That is the day that you buy a new TV or something big that you have been putting off because the sales are really good. Its hard to believe that there is just a border between us and yet we are so different at this time of the year.
There is so much hype, the day after Halloween here they will roll out the Christmas stuff and then it will be a free for all when it comes to stocked shelves. I have learnt that during this pandemic.
@sallypup (53133)
• Centralia, Washington
Happy Thanksgiving to you! Is it turkey day for you? Halloween is not here yet. After that I'll think about Thanksgiving but for the past many years that day is just a big meal day and special china put on the table cause hubby and I are alone. My sister might come over this year.
Yes, it is Thanksgiving Day here in Canada. We do all of the turkey and trimmings on one of the 3 days of the weekend. I hope that your sister joins you this year, you will enjoy her company I am sure.
@TheHorse Yes, always on a Monday, and always the second Monday of October.
• Walnut Creek, California
Is Thanksgiving always on a Monday?
Here winter starts on the 7th of Novenber.Glad that twins are old enough to play with toys !
Winter starts here on the 21st of December. The babies are growing so much, we saw them on facetime and they are so quick to recognize our faces on the screen and hold their arms out to us.
@Juliaacv How cute the twins are ! The video on facetime does warm your heart .
I hope you enjoyed your Canadian Thanksgiving with your husband. I want to buy something for my husband and this is the only person for whom I need to buy a present. We agreed years ago not to exchange presents for Christmas, but I will give him the present for our wedding anniversary, so he cannot complain.
Yes, we enjoyed ourselves yesterday. You are lucky that you can get him a gift without actually calling it a Christmas gift-you're a smart cookie.
@LadyDuck I think that is so sweet. I enjoy giving a gift to my hubby but he is not easy to shop for.
@Juliaacv I like to respect our agreement, but I want to offer him something.
@garymarsh6 (23217)
So your Thanksgiving is just over a month before the USA. We do not have a celebration as such but rather a harvest festival usually towards the end of September. It is not a national holiday or anything as grand as in Canada or the USA.
I knew of your harvest festival, that is when you burn bonfires I believe.
@garymarsh6 (23217)
@Juliaacv No perhaps you might be thinking of Guy Fawkes which is 5th November? Although some farmers do burn the stubble but not so much these days.
@garymarsh6 Oh maybe, sorry.
@LindaOHio (115018)
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. My next season will start when I see the first snowflake. I will want to hibernate after that!
Thanks, it was a nice weekend. We are going to go out Christmas shopping next weekend. Typically I do all of the shopping, except for what my hubby gets for me, but he loves shopping for children, so at least for the twins, he is going with me.
@LindaOHio My hubby is hard to shop for, but I will come up with something.
@LindaOHio (115018)
@Juliaacv The only "shopping" I have to do is get a gift card for our housekeeper (my husband's second cousin).
I thought today of a good gift for the baby for Christmas . It’s a small plush chair that looks like an elephant. We can put it in the corner of the room where she loves to sit and read her books which I would love to turn into a book book for her.
That is a really wonderful idea, a little book nook that will grow with her over the years.
@RebeccasFarm (84334)
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
I'd say after Halloween, then its the Thanksgiving, then Christmas here Julia.
Yes, our timetables are the same but a little different here. Halloween isn't a big deal to our family, but autumn is and we decorate and celebrate that from Labour Day until the day before Remembrance day in November. I take all of the decorations down in respect on November 10th and then after that will slowly decorate for Christmas. But between now and when the cold weather arrives, which is about the second week of November, I would like to be done with my shopping, the virus numbers are up so being in crowds isn't appealing.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@Juliaacv Yes here too that virus is rampant Julia and I am appalled at the people that are not even wearing masks.
@RebeccasFarm I feel the very same way. In my opinion, the number of cases, based on the wait times and open beds at the hospitals, has to be higher then ever during this pandemic. And yet people go about life as if they had not been thru 2020, they seem to have lost all of the sense that they learnt during those difficult months. Not me, I wear my masks and my gloves and I keep my physical distance and quite often that means staying at home.
First Halloween, than USA Thanksgiving and last is Christmas.
Our November is typically only for shopping, so I am hoping to finish before that rush begins.
I've already started thinking about the holidays and the whole gift giving thing. My grandkids have reached the "difficult" age to buy for which certainly takes a lot of the fun out of the holidays. Since everyone comes to my house the biggest is what to eat. We have to do a buffet since there's so many of us and not enough room for a sit-down dinner. So, what to serve that will be something everyone likes as well as stay good on sterno trays. Our Thanksgiving isn't until next month and then we'll switch from Fall decorations to putting up the tree, etc. I love the holidays but they do cause stress
Yes, I love the holidays but I know that they can cause stress. We just finished facetiming with the twins, they put their device down on the floor on their level and they babble and coo away and reach out to the screen. Its so cute.
@Marilynda1225 They melt my heart. Our son and his wife are all excited that Willow is holding her own bottle for her feedings now. I didn't want to tell them that Daddy was doing that at 6 months, they are 8 months. By the time that they master that hopefully they will be ready for sippy cups.
@Juliaacv awww you're a lucky grandma to be able to see and hear them babble.
@JESSY3236 (17356)
I already got most of Christmas shopping done. I am probably get something for my mother.
Congratulations, you are done early.
• Rockingham, Australia
It's wonderful buying for little kids, isn't it? Teenagers get a bit harder. lol
We are going to love i.
@oahuwriter (28464)
Happy Thanksgiving!! Hawaii, celebrates Halloween. Block parties, mall trick or treating for treats for children, buying candy to splurge a little. Then November it's our Thanksgiving, a month after Canada's Thanksgiving. December it's Christmas...then New Years,!
Thanks it is such a nice holiday.
@oahuwriter (28464)
@Juliaacv You're welcome. Yes, here too, very pleasant holiday.
@CarolDM (201837)
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Sorry, I almost missed this post. Thanksgiving here will be celebrated on November 24th.
Thank you, its been a very good weekend.
@CarolDM (201837)
@Juliaacv You are welcome. I know it has been very much enjoyed.
Not before at least November 7
That is a very definite date, is it someone's birthday that you wait for to start buying?
• Walnut Creek, California
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! I think my next season starting depends on the weather.
@sol_cee (35439)
We don’t have Thanksgiving here and the next big event we are all looking forward to is Christmas and New Year’s