First Frost

It is still dark outside. It was a clear and cold night last night. There is frost covering everything. Our first frost of the season. It was evident yesterday, as I drove out to the lake to our son's place that we are past the peak of colour for the season. There is still much colour to be had, but there is also alot of leaves blowing around. I noticed that many of the maple trees still have their leaves. The oranges have turned to a deep red. They reported that the colours are much more vibrant this year, something to do with the temperatures at night and the warmth during the day at just the right time. ~Photo is mine of a (maple) sugar bush
This is a beautiful photo, I love those colours. It rains here, very dark, but not yet cold.
Thank you. This is a maple bush, it did not look as pretty yesterday as it would today, as it was raining yesterday and today the sun is rising into a clear sky. Maple trees offer such gorgeous colour in the autumn months for us to enjoy.
@LadyDuck Those are such pretty little trees, they offer amazing colours come the fall season.
@Juliaacv I have a small Japanese maple tree by the pond and it's changing colours right now.
• Rockingham, Australia
That's a pretty picture. We are done with frosts for this year.
@JudyEv Yes, this is a sugar bush. There are several sugar bushes owned by various families along the way to our son's place. There are plenty of little signs pointing to where you can turn to go to the farm to pick some up fresh.
Thank you. Today it would look much brighter as it was raining yesterday. Today we have glorious sunshine. All of these trees in this bush are tapped and from another angle you can see the blue plastic tubing joining the trees which carries the sap from them in the spring.
• Rockingham, Australia
@Juliaacv So they're tapped for maple syrup? How cool is that? Not to you necessarily but it's something totally foreign and fascinating to me.
@LindaOHio (109732)
That's a lovely photo. We've already had our first s**w. Way too early for that.
We are past peak now I believe.
@LindaOHio My hubs has not driven our new SUVW, and I would like him to drive it and thought going for a drive would be a good way to get him behind the wheel.
@LindaOHio (109732)
@Juliaacv We may be too. Haven't been out for a ride in a while.
@CarolDM (199109)
Love the photo. Such pretty fall colors. Not as cold this morning. 33 F today. A few warmer days now. Leaves are falling all over here.
@CarolDM I drove slower then I usually do, just trying to get used to the feel of the vehicle and enjoy the ride. That got me to thinking of you, and I noticed everything along the way, as you often suggest. It was nice, it was almost like you were there alongside of me.
I was thinking of you when I pulled over to snap that photo. It was a dark and rainy day, I am sure that those leaves look much nicer today. I noticed that some of the trees in the city have already dropped their leaves, probably as a result of all of the rain that we had earlier this week.
@CarolDM (199109)
@Juliaacv How nice to be though about. Thank you. No rain here in awhile. Maybe one day next week. Sunshine for now. Enjoy your day and weekend.
@Nakitakona (54550)
Winter is there. Good for you for you have the first frost. We couldn't have it here for we don't winter.
Winter has arrived several weeks earlier than usual this year.
@Nakitakona (54550)
@Juliaacv That's advanced. Do you welcome it?
@Nakitakona No, I like autumn too much.
@Beestring (8737)
That's a beautiful picture. Is it normal to have frost before the end of Oct?
Thank you, it looks a little dull as it was raining yesterday. It is normal to have a hard frost by the end of the month, but we are about a week too early for it. Today we will begin a beautiful stretch of sunny and dry days.
Surprised you are just getting your first frost..we have already had freeze warnings here in VA. We may have had some frosts, I am not up early enough in the morning to look at the grass. Leaves look nice. We saw some great ones on our trip up North a couple of weeks ago. We aren't at peak here yet, but getting thee.
Yes, our first frost and it was a hard frost. But we are in the city, so the outlying areas may have had it sooner. We were at our peak a few days ago. Today when I came back from the grocery store I noticed alot of bare trees already, the leaves all spread out on the grass near the trunk. I think that was brought on by all of the rain that we have received this week.
@RebeccasFarm (78252)
It is supposed to snow here at the weekend.
@Juliaacv Yes thanks we did Julia..no not really early but it is only a tiny bit of dusting down here in the foothills but lots in the mountains very close
Is that early for your area? You really did get in and settled just in time, I am so happy for you for that.
All of those tree leaf colors are gorgeous.
Maple trees are known for having bright coloured leaves in the autumn.
@wolfgirl569 (65434)
• Marion, Ohio
That is a lovely view.
Thank you, it would look even prettier today as the sun is shining, it was raining yesterday.
@Fleura (23191)
It was chilly here last night too, i thought we might have a frost but it didn't materialise yet.
Just now the sun is rising. There are a few whispy clouds in the sky, the hues of yellow and orange are stunning this morning. And also, a very welcome sight given how every day this week has been overcast, cloudy and raining.
@Fleura (23191)
@Juliaacv The blue sky really lifts your spirits doesn't it?
@Fleura Yes, the beautiful blue skies and the sunshine.
@RubyHawk (77832)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't seen many pretty colors and leaves are falling fast. I don't believe we've had frost yet, but I wouldn't see it from my apartment. Our temp has been in the thirties at night.
Sooner or later it will come, I would not rush it.
@RubyHawk (77832)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Juliaacv I'm not in a rush for winter . I'd like spring weather all year long.
Those colors are lovely. Well it seems that winter is hovering just around the corner , are you very happy about it?
The next 4 or 5 weeks will be the (ugly) end of autumn. I call it ugly because we get alot of cold rain and clouds, and then eventually we get the winds and the snow and really cold temperatures. I find that November is a really blah month, dark and cloudy.
@oahuwriter (27952)
So beautiful! Living in Hawaii, this is always a treat to see! First frost, sounds nice & cool! We get our rainy season during autumn & winter.
Starting yesterday and until mid week next week our daytime highs will be like September weather. We had frost as it got cold for 1 night, but last night was mild and it will remain that way.
@oahuwriter Its going to be a La Nina winter, and I think that is mild for our region.
@oahuwriter (27952)
@Juliaacv Mild is nice... hope winter mild too.
No frost here yet
The skies were so clear last night and this morning the sun is finally shining after a whole week of clouds and rain.
@LouAvul (2396)
The colors are brilliant right now