My Father Helped Build the St Louis, Mo Arch

And here are some stunning photos from the building many years ago. I remember how hard Dad worked to do any job he set his mind to. It was nice to be able to remember by seeing this article. I had been up inside of the arch one time years ago. The view was incredible. Rest in Peace Dad and thank you for all you did for your family. Is there anything remember your Father doing for a job or otherwise that sticks out in memory?
Though it's now impossible to picture the city's skyline without the Gateway Arch, it is easy to take for granted what an incredible feat it was to get it standing proud and tall in the first place. So we culled through the archives at the State Historical
Those are incredible photos. It was a very hard and dangerous job.
Yes and since he was not an iron worker, (Union workers), he was also a bit outcast Anna. So going to work on this thing each day, was a risk in itself, if you understand me. Could be dangerous.
@LadyDuck Yes I would not be able for it either..I am no good with heights.
@RebeccasFarm Simply looking at those workers made me sick, I suffer of vertigo.
@Beestring (8733)
That is a great Arch. My Dad passed when I was only 11. All I remember is he was a secondary school teacher, well liked by his students. His students always came to our home to visit him.
A teacher is such a memorable person. A great teacher is remembered forever by his students. I am sorry your Dad passed away for you at such a young age M. RIP
@Beestring (8733)
@RebeccasFarm Thank you for your kind words.
@Beestring You are always so welcome M.
@BarBaraPrz (39364)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
My father was a polymath... he could do anything he set his mind to. Unfortunately, a brain tumor ended his life at 50.
@BarBaraPrz (39364)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@RebeccasFarm Thanks. That was 56 years ago...
@BarBaraPrz A long time, but the heart does not forget
I am sorry to know this Barbara..that must have been so devastating to you RIP your dear Dad. Polymath..a new word for me.
Getting up there was no easy task My father designed buildings and our ancestral home was one such. He was not a professional architect and I suppose those days there were no such courses.
@RebeccasFarm This is the ancestral home my father designed. It is now over 80 years old
He did did he? A wonderful architect he was then Always Smiling. Bless him and RIP
@Treborika (2895)
• Mombasa, Kenya
@allknowing Still up and in good condition
That is a wonderful story and how exciting that your dad helped with the building of the arch. A very proud memory for you. Well, my dad's claim to fame, of course, was being a popular Latvian poet and writer. It is too bad he never got any poems translated, but I have quite a few articles written about him and his poetry and other things that I have to rework and post on Vocal Media.
@RasmaSandra That is such a precious gift he gave to you..I know you will also see him again one fine day
Really Sandra? Now that is amazing about your Father. RIP I would love to read some of his poems too. So you take after him also
@RebeccasFarm that is why I always wished I could have known him as an adult, but I was only ten when he passed on. When he saw I was interested in poetry when I was eight writing little verses in Latvian and English he bought me a book of children's poems, which I still have today.
@aninditasen (11267)
• Raurkela, India
That's a beautiful arch. My father worked hard too and a did lot for his family.
I am sure he did bless your dear Father. RIP
Great pics. I have been alot of places, but never to St. Louis. My ex went to Washington Univ though, and knew his way around the city quite well. How far is St. Louis from Branson? I would love to go up in the arch. My day was a milkman when I was young, and had to get up soooo early. Plus it was frigid in that part of the world. He was a very hard worker. Later on he sold restaurant supplies, which was a much cushier existence.
@RebeccasFarm Yeah, I am sure it was rough, but he never complained. He's a morning person and was cheerful even at that hour. He also had a real estate license but I don't think he ever sold a house, and owned a gas station and intially a restaurant with my uncle.
@snowy22315 A good man bless him
Oh your dear Dad..a milkman..yes up before the birds and the cold I understand Snowy. Its around 250 miles to Branson..we used to go there all around there when we were kids.
@koopharper (7348)
That's cool. My Dad helped build the St. Lawrence Seaway and the control dam above Niagara Falls.
Oh now that is even cool too Koop
May your dear Dad RIP. Those are some amazing photos of the construction, he must have been a very dedicated worker to work so high up like that.
He must have. I remember him coming home with his hard hat and lunch box. I was then only around 6 or 7 maybe.
@Juliaacv Yes they are
@RebeccasFarm I think that our oldest memories are often our fondest.
That’s really cool that your dad helped to build the arch. I’ll check the pics out.
Hi Marie my friend I hope you and family had a nice Thanksgiving
@Tampa_girl7 Not bad thanks Marie
@RebeccasFarm it was a quiet and relaxing day at home. I hope yours was good too.
@cacay1 (77133)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Your dad was a hero a role model in your place. Was he an architect? My dad was a military official.
No he was not, he was a laborer Erly for this project but he also worked in hospitals in a professional position later. Oh he was your Dad? RIP..very important in the military..something to be proud.
@cacay1 (77133)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@RebeccasFarm thank you for the update my friend. My dad was a retired military official. I always miss him
@Ronrybs (17097)
• London, England
Wow! You wouldn't get me up there without a safety line. I did wonder, a little, how it was built
@Ronrybs What did your Dad do if you want to say?
Yes he was working with the iron workers (unionized) and it was quite dangerous Ron.
@Ronrybs (17097)
• London, England
@RebeccasFarm Yeah! You wouldn't get me up there
What a wonderful long lasting memory. That arch will be there for a very long time. I can tell from the photo you shared of you and your dad that you really loved him and he you. He was also a rather handsome man.
You remember him by photo Kandase thank you for sharing this with me
@Kandae11 Ill have to find it..here it is Kandase
@RebeccasFarm. You should post the picture again
@dya80dya (27452)
My father works a lot. I appreciate his work.
Yes he takes care of you there at least thanks Diana.
@dya80dya Oh yes at least you do Diana..I so miss my parents
@dya80dya (27452)
@RebeccasFarm Yes. I am glad that I still have my parents.
Wow, your dad was a part of that!! My dad was a hard worker too - once he had his mind and hands on it, he was sure to do his very best.
@RebeccasFarm Thank you . . . now it is "was". 3 days ago .
Your Father is a great man I am sure of it Much.
Those re nice pictures of the Gateway Arch.
I would never have been so brave to build that thing..I have been up in it once.
• Rockingham, Australia
That's an incredible construction. I have some of my Dad's woodwork including some bar stools.
Oh he was a carpenter was he Judy?
• Rockingham, Australia
@RebeccasFarm No, he was a farmer but he liked working with wood.
My dad helped build most of this town. It's wonderful knowing that our dads did this
It sure is..good strong men Angie..glad to hear it RIP
@Neil43 (2259)
Wow! Your dad's legacy!
Yes Neil..he was a love
@Treborika (2895)
• Mombasa, Kenya
I hope you had a very caring and loving father. However may God rest his soul in eternal peace
Yes thank you Trebor..he is always with me.