Dinner in a pumpkin

Tonight's dinner was cooked in a pumpkin. It was quite tasty. I changed up the recipe of it from I had, and what I could find on the internet, using what I had. My goal was not to have to go to the grocery store for anything. So, here were the ingredients that I used: 1 lb extra lean ground beef 1 cup chopped onions 1/4 red sweet pepper (that I had left over) 2 crimini mushrooms, chopped 1 cup condensed cream of celery soup, homemade 1 1/2 cup cooked barley 1 tsp each Soy sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar Black pepper and salt, to taste One small pumpkin Roasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish This is what I had to use. If I did not have the cooked barley, I would have used cooked rice. I cooked the beef with the onions and bell pepper, added the soup concentrate and the seasonings, added the barley, stuffed it in the pumpkin, and baked it in a 350°F oven for 1 hour. I could have left it in the oven for another 15 minutes, or cooked it at a higher temperature at 375°F as I might have liked it a little bit softer. Other than that, it was delicious. It makes me sad when I look around the neighborhood and people have thrown away their pumpkins. It really is a delicious food source, and in this case it becomes the cooking vessel! Photo is my own.
There are so many uses for pumpkins it surely is a shame to throw them. Your meal looks delicious.
I think this is going to be one of those Autumn comfort food meals from now on. I really did like it with the cooked barley, as well.
@LadyDuck I bet that will be delicious
@TheSojourner - I have three small pumpkins sitting in the kitchen. I am planning to cook them today and prepare the pumpkin cake.
• Walnut Creek, California
Sounds...good. I've been using lower temperatures and cooing things longer.
This could have used another 15 minutes, but it was pretty good. I've now peeled and cut all of the meat out of the pumpkin so I have a bag of almost completely cooked pumpkin in my freezer and then I have a casserole dish with the rest of the meat mixture in the softer for the next day or so
@TheHorse yes. It is a winter squash, so I eat that from time to time. It's good for you, plenty of nutrients and fiber.
• Walnut Creek, California
@TheSojourner Will pumpkin become one of your "vegetables"?
This sounds very good. I like the mushrooms and barley you added. Two ingredients I like in soups.
@TheSojourner .........I think that barley really adds a nice flavor to soups. Love it.
I've made this with rice several times in the last number of years, but it really was nice with the cooked barley.
@MarieCoyle (13628)
@celticeagle One of my favorite soups to make (and eat!) is beef barley soup. I always add mushrooms, onions, and other things too, but the barley makes the whole thing delicious. We never don't eat it all! So, so good.
@wolfgirl569 (73095)
• Marion, Ohio
It sounds pretty good
It was. If you like pumpkin, and beef, and onions, and barley or rice. And cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup Lol
@wolfgirl569 (73095)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner Not sure about the pumpkin like that. But the goats would eat it if I didnt
@LindaOHio (116451)
Looks very inviting when placed inside the pumpkin. Would make a good centerpiece dish.
I think it's fun, and it becomes the serving dish. I have heard that it gets some kids and people to eat more fresh pumpkin which is so good for you.
@LindaOHio yummy!
@LindaOHio (116451)
@TheSojourner Yes, those orange veggies are good for you.
@luisga814 (6859)
• Quezon City, Philippines
The presentation is cool.
Thank you, luis
@luisga814 Yes, many things can be done that way.
@luisga814 (6859)
• Quezon City, Philippines
@TheSojourner In our place, normally the presentation is in coconut.
Oh that looks so autumn pretty and must be quite tasty! I saw that a lot of the smaller pumpkins were on sale now (I missed out on buying pumpkins for Halloween last month) . . . I'm gonna get one !
@TheSojourner Tasty and healthy too! Lovely presentation. Do you have to poke any holes on the outside of the pumpkin?
@much2say no. Because you cut the top off and then you just lay the top over the pumpkin but the steam escapes
I love eating fresh pumpkin. I wish I would have cooked this a little bit longer tonight, but it wasn't too bad. I've gone ahead and carved it out of the skin and now I can bake it with the meat mixture a little bit longer but it's already scoopable
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
It looks good. I'm not huge on pumpkin things. Although I do love pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread.
I like the taste of the fresh pumpkin when it's not so sweetened up by all of those things like sugar.
@MarieCoyle (13628)
There are some people here who ask for pumpkins when people are done with them, and they will come and pick them up. They use them to feed their livestock. Most are homesteaders, but I am just so glad they use the pumpkins for food and they don't go to waste.
Yes, I'm glad that some will use them or give them to their animals. What I don't like is when I see dozens of them smashed all over the roadside just because people had to think it was fun to do so.
@MarieCoyle I can see cartoons like that dropping from the top on top of their head and then them becoming the pumpkin head
@MarieCoyle (13628)
@TheSojourner Some people just are not very nice. It would be fun, however, to bop them upside the head with a big pumpkin!
@abe2547 (97)
its good that you put the ingredients list cause we will try it in sometimes haha
Wow your cooking looks delicious. Thanks for including recipes in your post
Thank you for your kind words!
@Altoid1 (72)
?????? that looks amazing
Thank you.
@GoAskAlice got it now. Thanks!