Black Friday: Shopping or cloud coverage?

Black Friday, a term that has come to to indicate the Friday after Thanksgiving in the United States, marks the Christmas shopping season. Stores all over the U.S. offer sales and discounts that encourage shoppers to come in and get their holiday shopping done early, and has long-been considered to be the busiest shopping day of the year. I think that in many cases, it means that shops are "operating in the black," and finally making a profit. I have friends whom I've known for decades, and they make a family and friends event out of it, standing in line in the wee hours waiting for the stores to open up early, so that they can be the first line for the "great deals." Uh, no thank you. I won't be joining you this you (or any year), but have fun! I have absolutely no interest whatsoever, and don't remember any year where I partook in this kind of shopping frenzy. I may have gone once on my own, but it would have too stressful for me. I just don't understand it, and really don't want to get to a point that I am that desperate to spend money on things for gift-giving, just because they are on sale. It may be that I came to learn early on in my adult life that this Black Friday just wasn't fun for me on multiple levels. So, here I sit in a fairly darkened living room, even though my shades are opened. The darkness of the daylight is due to cloud coverage and rainfall. And, just as I feel no desire to go out on Black Friday to deal with the shoppers, Cooper feels the same about having no desire to go out on Black Friday for a walk in this rain to "do his business." Do you weather the storms and brave the torrential rains of people to get in on the great deals of Black Friday? Photo credit: Pixabay
I don't know if you have Boxing Day Sales that have crept across the border from us, but we sure do have the Balck Friday Sales here. That is partly why I take this week off from work. I shopped today, and did quite well. I usually come close to finishing my shopping during this week, and I am there.
I am glad that you are nearly finished.
We don't have "Boxing Day" here, but we do have after-Christmas sales, as they start putting out Valentines Day and Easter "stuff" very soon.
@TheSojourner Boxing Day is an entire different sale than anything else here. We have after Christmas sales, but none compare. Also, no refunds or exchanges are allowed on Boxing Day, its all hands on deck for the retailers for that day. It is alot of fun shopping on that day.
I avoid crowds. So, no. I was in a book store yesterday and they had some deals.
@paigea Perfect!
I didn't even go to the grocery store these last few days. I'm becoming a hermit.
@TheSojourner I am hibernating.
@popciclecold (31155)
I went once in my life, not for me. Plus it's raining here to.
Yeah, I don't need whatever they have. Besides that I'll spend more money for it if I really need it, on a day when I don't have to deal with the crazies.
Black Friday is a new entry here in Europe as we always have to copy what the United States do. We went out grocery shopping and we noticed that one clothing store had everything 50% OFF on Friday. My husband needed some warm things for winter, so we bought, only because we needed, it was not compulsive buy. Not a large crowd in the Mall.
I'm so glad that there weren't hordes of people! It sounds like he's completely set for the winter now. And, what about you?
@LadyDuck I'm glad that you got something that you like for yourself.
@TheSojourner - There were some more young mothers with kids than usual, but surely because the Mall was setting up the Christmas village and they were curious to see. I also bought a new PJ, I did not need it, but I liked it. The days are getting colder, I switch from house clothing to PJ earlier in the afternoon now, before preparing dinner.
• Rockingham, Australia
We've never been in the city for starters until now but we wouldn't be bothering with battling crowds and trying to pick up a bargain. We're not that keen.
I never understood the rudeness that went along with it.
• Rockingham, Australia
@TheSojourner That would put me right off too.
• Walnut Creek, California
@TheSojourner They're celebrating the spirit of Christ by being rude. The irony of it all.
@LindaOHio (115258)
Nope. When I used to have a lot of people to buy for, I always did my shopping online. You can score some sweet deals that way. I bought myself a new winter jacket on Wednesday for $13.20. It was 60% off.
Wow!
• Walnut Creek, California
Do you have a photo? I finally broke out my winter jacket yesterday.
@LindaOHio (115258)
@TheHorse Let's see if it will post the pic. Score!
I love shopping for deals . . . but you will never find me shopping on this day. Right, not my idea of fun at all - I'd rather shop in peace. I suppose there might be huge deals on big ticket items - but eh, I don't need anything.
EXACTLY!!
Only once have I went to a black Friday sell and that was when my youngest were teens and wanted to go. Never again long lines.
@TheSojourner Yes it was and I would much rather shop online for Black Friday if I want something and have it delivered for free.
@LeaPea2417 (35654)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I don't shop on Black Friday. I really hate crowds.
I have gotten to that point.
@wolfgirl569 (69415)
• Marion, Ohio
I have went out once and that was for my sister as she had to work. Turned out what I went after I didnt need to be early. One year I was working at Walmart and hubby went in with me. They had the super nintendos on sale so we wanted to get a couple of back ups as the kids had loads of games for those. He said that area wasnt busy that day either.
I think I am glad that I didn't have more than one child, and that she wasn't difficult to buy for.
@wolfgirl569 (69415)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner The youngest girl and youngest boy were the ones that tried to be. It just didnt get them anywhere.
We had some rain today. I never participated in Black Friday, but I did order some food for my cats today that was a bit cheaper on Chewy.
that works too!
@Marty1 you should check out their website.
@rasmasandra Chewy doesn't sell my cat's food. I buy it from Amazon and have it automatically delivered once a month. They are delayed for this month's order until December 6-8, so I wouldn't have gotten it cheaper. I would love to buy from Chewy as they always send me coupons in the mail. I should look to see if they have his favorite treats.
• Walnut Creek, California
That's what I heard too: big companies are finally "in the black" for the year on this day. I'm with you. I have no interest in gratuitous material possessions. Only God knows whether I am a religious man. but I find it kind of disgusting that we celebrate a season associated with the birth of Jesus Christ by buying and selling sh*t. 'Nuff said.
I do believe in entrepreneurialism, and sane capitalism. But, it's become insane.
@TheHorse Grrrrrrr.....grrrrrr.....
• Walnut Creek, California
@TheSojourner My sentiments exactly.
@RubyHawk (82559)
• Atlanta, Georgia
No, I don't unless I see something on sale that I intended to buy. If I see bargains I intended to buy, then I do
I figure if it's on sale today, there will sales later to get rid of those that don't sell today. LOL
@RubyHawk I agree.
@RubyHawk (82559)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheSojourner You usually find the best sales a couple of days before Christmas.
@MarieCoyle (11510)
It always seemed insane to me to stand in a line for hours. The people, the madness, all of the news stories over the years of sales gone wild and people hurt...I love a great bargain as much as the next person, but no thanks, those that love Black Friday can have it without me! One year one of my daughter's friends camped out in a tent in 10 degree weather to get a deal at Best Buy. No way would I do this.
It brings out the craziness of consumerism, in my opinion.
@MarieCoyle (11510)
@TheSojourner In our current society, there is no shortage of craziness, or total insanity, either.
I don't care for Black Friday
It's just one more reason to spend money and add to ridiculousness in consumerism.
@JESSY3236 (17396)
I did my Black Friday shopping on Amazon. I didn't go out.
I pretty much stay in.
@yoalldudes (33362)
I get discouraged when I have to fall in line just to pay for my itms and also find the fast foods have a long line when I get hungry. It is not a good experience and not worth it to me. Cooper feels the same way it seems.
*laugh* I don't get discouraged. I am at the point that I just get annoyed!
@yoalldudes (33362)
@TheSojourner Yes long lines can be pretty annoying