Commemorative Toonie

It was announced today that the Canadian Mint will be putting out commemorative two dollar coin. These coins are known here as toonies. The toonie will have a black edge where they usually have a silver edge with a cold center. The black edging is in memory of our late Queen Elizabeth. The black will represent the black mourning bands worn following a passing. The coins were unveiled today and I do hope to be able to come across one, in good condition. I may have to step into a branch to acquire one. Do symbols like this commemorating various influential people touch you? ~Photo found online
No, it does nothing for me but mom was always into stuff like that. She got the commemorative coins that were issued when then Prince Charles and Lady Diana were married. I kept that set but I haven't a clue if it's worth anything.
I am looking forward to getting a coin because going forward they will stop putting her image on our coins.
@dfollin (23466)
I love Princess Diana. I hated the way they treated her.
Oh that's right, coins are changed when the monarchy changes.
@RebeccasFarm (84867)
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Oh do get one Julia..you could pass it down you know. How are you doing breathing coughing today? Oh yes they do I love to collect but no longer do.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@Juliaacv I do too God help you Julia!! Oh yes that is a good idea putting some in the stockings
@RebeccasFarm Thank you. It makes sense that I am coming out of it as it was Nov 25th that the doctor diagnosed me with this and he told me then that the cough could last as long as 4 weeks, so we are almost there.
I will get one and maybe if I can get 3 of them I will put 1 into each of the baby's stockings. I just put money into their stockings anyways so that their parents can buy them what they need. My breathing and coughing has changed dramatically today. I am very pleased. I feel alot stronger, I only hope that it continues.
That coin should be collected at least one by you when it comes out.
Yes, I would like to put one away. I have a feeling that many people think like this and they will be hard to find.
@Juliaacv So very true.
@garymarsh6 (23217)
Fantastic l would certainly get one if l were in Canada. What a lovely memento. I bought the £5 coin & the 50p coin for each of the grand children. The coin they have minted here with both King Charles & the Queen on them are awful. It looks nothing like the Queen. I can not understand how King Charles approved it. I think this will be the last coin with the Queen on it. The future batches will have King Charles on it from this month.
Going forward our coins will bare his resemblance on them also. I won't be too keen to hold on to any of those coins. I hope that I can acquire a toonie with the late Her Majesty The Queen on it. If I find extras I will reach out to you and try to send you what I can.
@garymarsh6 Oh my goodness, that is insane! I would only offer to give you a two dollar coin should I be able to get one, and that is only about half of the monthly myLot payout, so no big deal.
@garymarsh6 (23217)
@Juliaacv Arr that is so kind. Funnily enough l just had an email from the Royal mint offering a full set of coins which l think l am going to have to decline! They only want £13,645.00 = Canadian $22806.40 I wonder how many years it would take by mylotting????
• Rockingham, Australia
I haven't heard of anything similar here but perhaps it's still coming.
My hubby and I have never seen a Canadian coin without the queen on one side, so we would really like to have one as a keepsake.
• Rockingham, Australia
@Juliaacv We have saved quite a few coins that seem to be a bit special or rare.
@CarolDM (202016)
Very interesting to read about. Never was into collecting commemorative coins but they are nice to learn about. What an honor for the late Queen.
I would like one because all of the coins that have ever been used during my lifetime have had her picture on 1 side, and that will change.
@CarolDM Today's people are less likely to carry currency as they use their debit cards, and I do also, but I still have that sentimental old school thought that they are nice. Our mint stopped making pennies years ago and I have a couple of rolls around here somewhere, just to remember.
@CarolDM (202016)
@Juliaacv That sounds like a very special one indeed. How exciting.
@dfollin (23466)
Cool! Sounds nice, the picture isn't here!
It was on here, but now I cannot reload it. Well, they are nice looking.
Not as a rule, but the Toonie sounds interesting.
Hope you can acquire one ! Maybe it wil increase in value one day.
I am sure that one day it will increase in value but I think that it will always have more sentimental value than monetary value.
No, it does not!
I would love to have a bill or coin with her image. I’m selective and wouldn’t want just anyone.
Yes, we have put away a few bills with her on them.
I think that is very nice that they will do this in her memory.
It will be the last piece of Canadian currency bearing her resemblance on it.
@Beestring (9816)
I'm glad that I still keep coins with the Queen's head. They are no longer available now as HK has returned to China in 1997.
I hope that I can acquire a commemorative coin or two.