My Sore Finger

A little over a week ago I noticed a bit of sensitivity over the top of a joint on one of my fingers. The joint near the nail on my middle finger. I showed it to my hubby asking if he noticed a slightly different colour on the skin in that area. But he did not. I showed him a few days later and asked him if it could be a wart. He laughed and asked if I had been playing with toads. He said that we would watch it carefully. Today it is quite sensitive and a tiny bit swollen in just that one little area above the joint. He suggested that it could be a ganglion cyst. I looked it up online. They can leave as quickly and easily as they appear. Other times they require a physician to help it to leave. I will try to hope that it wants to go on its own. Have you ever experienced a ganglion cyst on any of your finger joints? ~Photo courtesy of pixabay
@CarolDM (201837)
A friend had a cyst like that once and had it removed. I have never experienced one before. I hope yours disappears.
I will have to call the doctor's office next week. His office books so far in advance that it will have a chance to disappear before the appointment.
@CarolDM Its a catch 20 here. If you have a family doctor, no other family doctor will take you on. If you have a lousy family doctor, you are just stuck with him. I have a family doctor who has a huge practice, he looks after everyone who speaks Punjabi, plus me, and as a result of having such a large practice, and not being from his culture, I wait, and I wait.
@CarolDM (201837)
@Juliaacv That is too bad you have to wait so long for an appointment.
@Icydoll (31337)
I never experienced it ,hope it goes way on it's own. Take care friend
@Icydoll The discomfort has been increasing every day, so I think that it is inevitable.
I hope it does also, but I have a feeling that I will be calling the doctor for an appointment.
@Icydoll (31337)
@Juliaacv if you feel so ,go ahead .
Not to my knowledge, but sometimes small cysts or warts seem to appear, and then disappear. I think they are related to pressure or something...maybe they are just blisters...seems to happen when I have been doing something with my fingers.
I keyboard every day, for my job and on here a little bit. I notice that when I do dishes, I always hand wash the pots and pans and cooking utensils, that I am most apt to knock it.
Not what you are going through but my toe nail is bothering me after a pedicure.
@Juliaacv The lady came over. I have applied some ointment that is meant for such situations
I hope that you are soaking it in warm salt water to clear it of any infection. I have not had a pedi since the pandemic began, I just prefer to have my space a little more distant still. I hope that your toe nail feels better soon.
@allknowing Good luck with the healing process.
@RebeccasFarm (84334)
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Oh dear I had never had one of those Julia..I am sorry you do. I pray it will be gone soon
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@Juliaacv Oh that was good then Julia
I have missed you. Thank you, I hope that it doesn't turn out to be anything too terrible.
@RebeccasFarm That is quite painful. I had that terribly once and I put alot of vaseline on them and then put them into cotton garden gloves, the loose ones, and slept like that for a few nights and then they healed.
@Gillygirl (47486)
• Sutton, England
I did have a wart on my hand many years ago. My hubby rubbed a piece of raw meat on it. He then buried the meat and wouldn't tell me where otherwise the wart wouldn't go away. Sure enough the wart disappeared a couple of days later, The only toad I've touched is my 2 year old grandson lol
That is an interesting idea your hubby had, I will have to keep that thought in mind. Your grandchildren are so adorable. A week from today is the twin's first birthday already, I cannot believe how quickly those 365 days flew by.
@Gillygirl (47486)
• Sutton, England
@Juliaacv It's a witch remedy lol. I can't believe the twins will be one next week. What are you giving the cuties for their birthdays?
@Gillygirl What do you know about witch remedies, you are one of the sweetest and kindest people here. I bought several new outfits for the babies for their birthday. I also bought them 3 books from a collection that their parents have registered for. The first book that I want to read to them is all about manners, and how to treat others with respect. I think that our world is greatly lacking that these days and I do not want the babies to add to that. I am sure that you feel the same way.
No, but I have developed "trigger finger". In my right hand it was definitely in the thumb, and also the pinky. Left hand it is the thumb.I rub anti inflammatory creams on, sometimes take NSAIDS. I noticed the beginning last July. It is getting better now. Hearing you discuss your painful and sensitive joint I wonder if you have gotten a splinter in the skin that you cannot see. It could make you swell.
@Juliaacv I hope something helps soon.
Possibly it is a splinter. I should soak it in some warm salt water to see if I can coax anything foreign out.
@kaylachan (41643)
I think so but I can't be sure. I get bumps on my skin from time to time.
This one is quite sensitive, I do not like to have anything touch it.
I've never had one but I've heard about them. I hope it decides to disappear.
Me too, I almost wonder if living with the soreness isn't better than living through the healing of the repair itself.
@DaddyEvil (111617)
Yes, I have... While working at Walmart several years ago I noticed a ganglion cyst on the first knuckle of my first finger, left hand. It never hurt but I'd notice it once in a while when I was doing something that required me to watch my hands. After my retirement two years ago the ganglion cyst has disappeared.
Maybe I will need to wait until retirement to see mine disappear too.
@DaddyEvil (111617)
@Juliaacv That's my guess but I could be wrong about the reason for mine disappearing. I don't know.
I hope your finger heals by itself with no need for a doctor, I have never heard about such a cyst. What happened to me once when I was still living in Latvia was that I was trying to pull something open a lid of some kind I remember, When the lid finally gave my right hand whacked very painfully against a wooden cabinet, The most painful was my middle finger. When it all stopped hurting I noticed my middle finger could not longer be straightened out and was a bit bent and it has been that way ever since but since I can write on my keyboard and it does not bother me otherwise I just leave it as it is,
Ouch, that sounds terribly painful.
@Juliaacv well it does not bother me now but I am always reminded of how it happened when I look at the crooked finger on my right hand, That was so long ago who knows perhaps it was broken or fractured and healed wrong
• Rockingham, Australia
I have heard of this but I have a tiny 'pocket' at the base of my thumb nail which seems to fill with fluid. If I push on it, I can feel the fluid disperse. Thankfully, it isn't sore. I hope whatever it is on your finger goes away soon.
I have a feeling that I will need to see the doctor. I doubt that he will do anything for it, he will refer me to someone else. He doesn't do much other than referrals, prescriptions and sends you for testing.
• Rockingham, Australia
@Juliaacv Most doctors can't seem to do much without blood tests. You'd wonder how they ever managed in the old days but they did.
That's stress cysts,right? If so I have them on my hands from time to time.
I have not heard them referred to as that. Yours must go away on their own.
@RubyHawk (82405)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have not. You might have a doctor look at it just to be sure.
I may have to.
@RubyHawk (82405)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Juliaacv It could be something that needs a doctors attention.
@popciclecold (31109)
Hope it goes on its own..
Me too.
@popciclecold (31109)
I have never heard of it. Let's hope it h o
I have one on my upper arm. As it does not hurt I am doing nothing and "waiting that it goes". Yours is painful, I would call my doctor.
It hasn't changed in size in a few days, and since then it hasn't pained me much. I will wait it out unless it starts growing and hurting more. And I hope that does not happen.
@LadyDuck I do not think that it grew yesterday as it did not pain me.
@Juliaacv I hope it will go away without the need of the doctor.
@Nevena83 (66140)
• Serbia
I've never heard of it. Is it dangerous?
No, not from I learned from the internet.
@yesiisey (303)
it's better for you to consult a doctor than to suspect to get the right treatment
Truly I have never experienced