I picked up clothes from a Buy Nothing member/friend

Today, I stopped by to pick up a grocery bag full of boys clothing in sizes 6-7. There were three pair of pants, a pair of long shorts, 14 t-shirts, and a hooded sweatshirt. Some of these shirts seem to be barely worn, and nearly brand new. I am looking forward to getting them sent off to my niece for her boys. It is my hope that they will be able to use them, even though they are ages 5 and 2. (They will definitely grow into them, if they are too big.) If not, I am sure that she must know people in her homeschooling group, who might benefit from them. Photo is my own. If you are unfamiliar with the BuyNothing project, this link tells about what it is and the benefit to communities everywhere.
https://buynothingproject.org/about
@spiderdust (13847)
• San Jose, California
That 5 year old will fit into those 6-7 clothes very soon if he isn't in that size already. My 6 year old is currently wearing size 8, but I tend to have tall children.
@spiderdust I love that they are science-y/educational!! Many of them, at least!
My grand-niece will be 8 in two weeks, and that is her size (the 8).
@spiderdust (13847)
• San Jose, California
@TheSojourner They are definitely nice looking shirts!
@RubyHawk (82084)
• Atlanta, Georgia
They do look new, I'm sure your niece will appreciate the clothes for her boys..
Wow. That was a good haul. Good job.
I hope so!
@popciclecold I am just fortunate to have seen them offered. Last month, I sent her two boxes, totaling over 50 lbs, of books to her.
That is a great way to repurpose usable clothes.
My daughter also hosts clothing exchange parties once a year, in the past several. I was invited to the one yesterday. The things left over, she will take to a woman's shelter that caters to women in domestic violence situations. Here is a blog about one woman who does this.
https://www.modernfrugality.com/host-an-awesome-clothing-swap-party/
@DWDavis (21252)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I hope your grandnephews are able to wear the clothes. The BuyNothing project seems to be a worthy cause. So much clothing gets thrown out these days when it still has years of use left in it.
It's wonderful. And yesterday, I went to a clothing exchange event that my daughter hosted. She's actually getting her degree in some sort of sustainable energy or something like this. I cannot remember the exact field. But she's really into these types of projects, and recycling of all types. I am proud of her commitment.
• Rockingham, Australia
That's nice that someone has donated such a lot of clothes and near new ones at that.
She is an awesome lady, and one that is a moderator of our local group.
@Dena91 (17760)
That is a great program. Glad you were able to send them on to your niece. Hope the boys can wear them.
I'm sure they will grow into them, if not for now.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
You're a wonderful aunt! Kids clothes are not cheap these days . . . I'm sure they'll be appreciated! I'm gonna check out this buynothing link!
@TheSojourner I used to do "Freecycle" - I don't know what's up with that these days. I got fed up with the flakes. I'll have to try this group!
@much2say I didn't like the Freecycle groups. With BN, you are not obligated to give to the first person who wants it. There is something a bit more "civilized" but I think that depends on the group. I think my daughter's group in her locale is much different than mine, based just on demographics of age/income/education level.
It's a wonderful place to be able to give in a way that works for you. It's not like somebody claiming it and then they get it.
@kaylachan (41640)
Can't know until you try, and I'm guessing buy nothing means you got it for free?
@kaylachan (41640)
@TheSojourner Might be worth looking into.
@kaylachan It's a good project, but different areas have different "vibes." My daughter lives in an area and has a great BN group. My group has its moments.
My daughter was the one that turned me on to the Buy Nothing Project. Yes, it is a community of people who share, and there are groups everywhere.
https://buynothingproject.org/about
I am very bad about children clothing size, but if those shirts are too big, they will be good in a year or two.
I would rather send something too big and have them grow into it.
@LadyDuck if I do send something too small, it can either be used for the younger one in the future or I'm sure my niece has other mothers that she's involved with with smaller children
@TheSojourner Surely better than sending something that is too small and useless.
@JESSY3236 (17354)
Sadly there isn't a Buy Nothing group near me.
Keep checking. They are popping up all over the place.
@RubyHawk (82084)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Neat looking clothing. Lucky niece.
I always keep my eyes open for clothes and books for the family. Also, certain people gift things, and I know the quality or how they take care of them. I feel very fortunate when I'm able to score something for my niece and her family.
@RubyHawk I agree
@RubyHawk (82084)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheSojourner It’s a good feeling when you can gift someone.
@LindaOHio (114176)
I love hearing about clothes being recycled instead of being thrown away.
I do too. I really love that these programs are becoming more and more popular.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
I need to check it out! I have gotten a few things from the Buy nothing facebook group.
That's how one gets involved in the Project, through your local BN group on FB
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@TheSojourner I just downloaded the app.
@MarieCoyle (11495)
I have used my local Buy Nothing group as well, to give away and a few times I did get something I needed as well. Very nice to have the group.
I really do like the project, though I wish I were in my daughter's area.