Frugal Living--Cost & Calories Back on track this a.m.

Knowing that I need to eat more healthily, I needed to get back on track this morning. Actually, I did eat some raw vegetables last night, and that seemed to help a little bit with the feeling of sugar excess I felt. One of the things that I am trying to do is eat healthy throughout the day. I've never quite understood it when others say that they have certain breakfast foods or lunch foods. One thing I like about living alone is that I don't have to live by somebody else's definition of those terms. If I feel like eating a tuna fish sandwich as my breakfast, then I do. If I want a bowl of oatmeal for lunch or dinner, then I do. I try to listen to what my body is craving for nutrients. This morning's breakfast was hardy, healthy, and was not much money. So, it checked the box for me in many categories. One egg, 72 cal, $0.19 One corn tortilla, 55 cal, $0.05 One banana, 105 cal, $0.19 1 1/2 cup of broccoli, 40 cal, $0.00 (given to me) 1 tsp olive oil, 40 cal, $0.07 Two tbsp fire roasted tomato salsa, 10 cal, $0.14 One mug of black coffee, 2 cal, $0.25 Total calories--324 cal; my cost--$0.89 This should hold me over for a few hours. It certainly doesn't make me feel sluggish like the sugar does. Photo is my own.
@CarolDM (201911)
Funny, I had oatmeal for dinner last night. Your breakfast looks and sounds very good. Nice job.
Thank you. I think it's going to be oatmeal for me tonight for tomorrow night.
@CarolDM nowadays, I prefer the scotch oats to the rolled oats, but I'm the same way. Brown sugar walnuts, and butter!
@CarolDM (201911)
@TheSojourner I really enjoy old fashioned oats with brown sugar and walnuts. My favorite combination. Fresh honey is also good.
• Rupert, Idaho
That is interesting to see the price breakdown. Pretty low cal and low cost. 19 cents for an egg is not too bad.
That was the price I paid for them last week. This week they're a dollar more per dozen.
@MommyOfEli2013 that's what I used to pay for the organic straight from the chicken. I'm wondering how that's going to pan out this spring.
• Rupert, Idaho
@TheSojourner Well it's probably still cheaper than a lot of proteins. Here they are over $5 a dozen
No more cheap eggs here, the cost of one egg is almost $ 1 right now.
Yikes!
@LadyDuck Perhaps, that will fix the problem.
@TheSojourner - So many hens had to be killed because of the Avian Flu outbreak. We have to wait now that the chicks grow and start to give eggs. Usually it takes 18 weeks.
@wolfgirl569 (69377)
• Marion, Ohio
I often don't have normal dinners.
There's nothing normal about me so I'm the same way
@wolfgirl569 I couldn't believe that eggs went up $1 since last week when I bought a dozen at the commissary for under $2. Now they are nearly $3
@wolfgirl569 (69377)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner Hubby fixes breakfast so that usually eggs as they are easy
• Rockingham, Australia
When Vince was overseas for six weeks, I ate whatever I felt like whenever I felt like it. It was great.
Exactly! And when I cook, if RGD is here, he knows better than to say anything other than "this is good."
• Rockingham, Australia
@TheSojourner I always praise Vince's cooking as I don't want him to stop. But it is always nice too, just sometimes I long for something that I like that he doesn't.
@JudyEv in my entire adult life, I've had a man cook for me twice. You are fortunate, indeed!
@kobesbuddy (160443)
• East Tawas, Michigan
What a nice breakfast, Jay had eggs this morning, also.
I'm trying to limit myself to one egg per day now.
@kobesbuddy (160443)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheSojourner I used to eat about two eggs each day. Now, I eat about three eggs a week.
@kobesbuddy I just started cooking some chicken drumsticks, which I posted a discussion about, and I ended up paying 34 cents per large drumstick. At the price of eggs right now, this was cheaper! Lol
I enjoy having no man in life for that reason too. I don't have to fix food he will like. I really admire your ability to eat those vegetables and not sweets.
@TheSojourner .........Ooh, I see how you are now.
That's because I binged on sweets yesterday! LOL
I see a Pierce bottle! Sounds like a reasonable breakfast . . . much more interesting and healthier than pouring cereal out of a box!
@TheSojourner Very cool!
That's a Pierce college mug from a class I was a guest teacher in here in Puyallup, washington.
@kaylachan (41650)
Congrats on getting back on track. I know it's not the easiest of things to do. But, it's just as important. Good luck on your journey.
@kaylachan (41650)
@TheSojourner Not a problem.
Thank you so much.
@quantum2020 (11729)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
All those food items look healthy. I also eat whatever my system orders. I can eat cornflakes in the mornings or in afternoons if that´s what my system is craving for. I also eat little of this, little of that throughout the day. Living frugal is one way of moderating one´s eating habits
I agree with you, jose!
@aninditasen (12599)
• Raurkela, India
That was a nice and healthy breakfast.
It tasted good.
@LindaOHio (115172)
I'm glad you're back on track. I lost about 4 pounds. It's coming off a lot slower than I put it on. Such is life. Have a good day.
I'm glad you're on your way down.
@LindaOHio you can do it
@LindaOHio (115172)
@TheSojourner Me too! I need to lose weight if I'm to have a second knee surgery.
@Adie04 (15164)
I don't really like the taste of olive oil, it seems too sweet for my taste buds.
There are some olive oils that don't have the robust flavor.
@Adie04 (15164)
@TheSojourner Oh, so there's a few brands of olive oil too? I thought all olive oils are the same, regardless of the brand and packaging.
@MarieCoyle (11477)
Certain foods at certain times of the day never made much sense to me, either. I have had oatmeal for dinner many times, or leftovers for breakfast. Today, I had a salad for breakfast. I woke up from my short sleep wanting salad, and I had all the ingredients, so I threw one together. Sometimes, I eat soup for breakfast as well.
I think if we listen to our bodies, it tells us what nutrients we need.