Another Winter Storm Coming Our Way

This winter has been rather calm for us. I am not complaining, I work from home, and rarely go outside. But I do look out of the windows. And my hubby still commutes to work until he retires. We are expecting about 15cm of snow tonight. It is quite cold so the snow will be light and will likely get blown around causing poor visibility. There is snow in our forecast a few times between now and the rest of January. This coming weekend, our sweet little twin granddaughters will celebrate their first birthday. I remember very well, how cold it was a year ago when they were born. A few days after their birth, they were released to the hospital in our son's region. That meant about a 90 minute drive with the preemies and we were experiencing a snow storm. Hospital transfers do not rely on the weather, you go when you are told to go and the receiving hospital has accepted them as patients. I do hope that the weather isn't too terrible this weekend as it is a fairly long drive out to Lake Huron, where our son and his wife and the twins reside. How is your weather lately? ~Photo is mine of a snow storm about 8 years ago
@RebeccasFarm (84702)
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Oh dear Julia..I pray it does not damage to you and yours at the least.
Thank you, my hubs just left for work. He has to commute across town, it is about a 25 minute drive.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@Juliaacv God bless and keep you all
@RebeccasFarm Thank you. My hubby texted me a few minutes ago that he is just leaving work now, but not to expect him on time as the streets look awful and he will be late coming home as a result of the traffic.
Well, I wish you all the best, keep warm and safe and I hope the snow won't be too bad, Fairly tolerable weather in the 60s and in the 40s at night, I hope you get to go to their birthday on the weekend, My goodness. how did a year fly by already, I remember I left Latvia while my stepdaughter was still pregnant then her son was born in 2019 and now he has already celebrated his 4th birthday,
Thank you, I feel for the people who have to go out to work and drive on the snow covered roads. I feel lucky to be able to work from home. I hope that we can see the babies on their actual birthday, but with having a January birthday and living in Canada, that may not always happen.
@TheSojourner (62746)
It is so amazing to me that the year has passed so quickly. I remember when they were first born. Happy birthday! Stay warm, and be safe!
@Juliaacv be safe. Better to celebrate it in a few days later when the storm has passed.
@TheSojourner Yes, right now they are suggesting people not venture out on the roads, but are not closing them-its rush hour for those driving home from work. I imagine that the outlying areas will have road closures later on today, which means if you drive after the sheriff has closed a road you have no insurance.
Yes, this year has passed so quickly for us. I hope that the snow predictions are wrong as I fear that we will not be able to go out to their place as they get such winds off of the lake and it is always so dangerous to drive out there during bad weather.
I hope you are only going to get very little snow. I am sorry for your husband who has to commute. May be we are going to have snow on Friday, I hope not, it's another hospital day.
Our snow did not come last night as they predicted it started just around 6am today. Since y ou have to go out today, I hope that it is a dry day so that you can come and go safely.
@LadyDuck We've had alot of snow fall today, the streets and roads are terrible. Our son is snowed in out at their place. I am glad that you had a calm day.
@Juliaacv It has been dry today, cloudy, but dry and not too much cold.
@kobesbuddy (160443)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We got that winter storm last night, about four inches of snow on the ground. "Happy Birthday to the Twins!"
@kobesbuddy Thank you, that means alot.
Thank you, they are not feeling the greatest. I think that they picked up a cold when they were at their cousin's house for a bit a while ago. Our son wants them to be well before we celebrate their birthday, he worries about us getting sick and he wants the girls to be raised with the understanding that if you are not well you do not have people in or go out.
@kobesbuddy (160443)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Juliaacv Your son is very considerate of others, that is admirable.
@CarolDM (201911)
Rain this past weekend. Sunshine today. Storm warnings and wind advisory tonight. So we will see about the rest of the week. Stay safe out there.
We will be having a rain storm, I could defintely do without. People in the North know how to handle snow, that doesn't mean you couldn't still be impacted by poor visibility and blowing snow..so lets hope things are under control by the weekend. Looking forward to those twin pics.....
@Juliaacv Glad somebody is liking it...As the twins get older they will probably enjoy frolicking in the snow too.
@snowy22315 I am sure that they will be out there next year. They have winter boots, so technically they could be out there in it this year, but they are too small for the temperatures, that could kill them.
Our son texted me that they are snowed in out at their place. Its the winds coming in off of Lake Huron, they are strong and the snow comes along with them. But he did say that Ellie is happy running and jumping around out in the yard.
Happy belated birthday to your sweet little twins !Wow ! 15cm of snow ! We had a snow just 3cm deep not long ago.It didn't snow last year.
@Juliaacv Hope they get better soon !
@changjiangzhibin89 Thank you, I do also.
Thank you, they had their birthday, but they were feeling under the weather, so we will have a party next weekend if they are better.
Hope the snow didn't get too bad there, Today we have a miserabe day ahead with snow, sleet and then rain. Just an overall mess. Hope that the weather cooperates for the twins first birthday this upcoming weekend. Time certainly did fly this year
We haven't had any rain nor sleet, but lots and lots of snow. Our son told me that they are snowed in out at his place. Ellie is outside jumping around in the yard, she loves the snow, and the babies stand at the window and watch her. Next year they will be out there running and jumping around.
@Juliaacv I bet the twins are enjoying watching Ellie running and jumping around in the snow.Yes next year they'll be out making snowmen
@sallypup (53148)
• Centralia, Washington
Your photo reminds me of a good reason that I moved to the milder side of my state. Happy birthday to the wee ones.
We actually get much more snow in the area that we are in now than we did when we lived where I took this photo from.
@sallypup (53148)
• Centralia, Washington
@Juliaacv Brrrrrr.
@Deepizzaguy (77744)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I am very grateful that the tornado that hit both south Texas and south Louisiana this afternoon did not cause any blackouts and any damages to my residence this afternoon. Now some cold weather is coming for the rest of the week.
Tornadoes are so frightening. I am glad that you did not lose your power too.
@Deepizzaguy (77744)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@Juliaacv I am in agreement with you because the weather nation channel mentioned on their steaming channel that the danger from the tornadoes were the high winds that would knockout electrical power in the area which thank goodness it did not happen in my neighborhood other than a brief blackout of the lights for about a few seconds.
@RubyHawk (82465)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I hope you have an easy drive to see your son and family. I remember when the babies were born. Doesn’t seem like a year ago. Y’all be careful.
Last night's storm was stalled as it only began to snow an hour ago. I hope that they are able to maintain the roads this weekend as there is more days of snow to follow. The year has flown by so quickly.
@RubyHawk (82465)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Juliaacv I hope the roads will be good for your drive.
@thelme55 (76686)
Keep yourself safe Julia. We have 0C cold but no snow.
You are 2 degrees warmer than we are right now. Stay warm.
@thelme55 We are right about the freezing mark here, but more snow is coming I think.
@thelme55 (76686)
@Juliaacv I see. At the moment we have -2 C. Have a nice weekend.
@LindaOHio (115172)
I hope the weather cooperates this weekend for you. Drive safely. We are under a winter weather advisory; and about 200 schools are closed at this time. Nothing in our area; and it hasn't started s**wing here yet. Stay safe and warm.
They did not close the schools here today, I saw the school bus go by at the end of the school day.
@LindaOHio It was just as bad here as they predicted.
@LindaOHio (115172)
@Juliaacv It wasn't as bad here as predicted.
How coolly you guys face such winters.
It is just what happens during 1 of our 4 seasons each year. Some years are worse than others, this year we have not had much snow at all.
@tammys85 (29200)
• Baltimore, Maryland
Our weather has been cold and at times rainy. Stay safe and warm! And Happy 1st Birthday to your granddaughters!
Our winter has been damp and mild, but so little snow this year. Thanks, I am looking forward to their birthday, that year really flew by quickly.
Yikes, that's a whole lotta snow in that photo, I'm glad I've never experienced anything like that. The weather here is cold to me but not as cold as what you get. The only one who likes it is Roscoe.
Yes, that old former farmhouse that stood beside the drift was demolished a year or two after that photo was taken. The drifts that would develop there were huge.
@wolfgirl569 (69377)
• Marion, Ohio
They are calling for about the same amount in our area tomorrow. I am hoping it misses us
We are expecting more for Sunday.
@sol_cee (35461)
They’re turning one already? Time flies! And I know how you feel about the snow. I have a friend in Saskatchewan and she posts pics of very thick snow on FB. I can’t imagine how to go out in that condition
Yes, a year on Sunday, that year flew by. You have to grow used to the snow in order to survive the season of winter.
• Rockingham, Australia
Such horrid weather must make driving very hazardous from time to time. Wishing you safe travels to celebrate the birthdays.
We are used to it, but everyone knows that there is a limit and a time to stay home. I hope that is not this weekend. Last night's snow just started a couple of hours ago, it is coming down quickly, beautiful big fluffy flakes. When the temperatures drop the snowflakes will not look so big and fluffly and be fine and cold snow.