Frugal Cooking-- 34 cents per chicken drumstick (Updated)

I bought a package of five drumsticks for $1.68 for the package on quick sale. There were 1.85 lb/840 gr in the package. Each drumstick costs approximately $0.34 cents each. I have no idea what I'm turning them into, but I have them Browning in a little olive oil with some no salt seasoning on them. Right now, I'm so tired I don't want to have to think. I will likely put them in a Crock-Pot with some sort of vegetable or sauce to finish cooking. I definitely need to take a nap. Photo is my own. UPDATE: After browning them a little bit, I added a third of a bottle of Sweet baby Ray's barbecue sauce, thinned with enough water to clear the bottle, and I added a bunch of baby carrots, cut up celery, and grape tomatoes to stew with it all. I will probably serve it with rice or microwave baked potato.
Drumsticks are one of our go-to meals! I get the big packs (only when on sale) . . . toss with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and maybe smoked paprika . . . and stick it in the oven. I like these no-thinking meals!
That's a good way to do it. I just figured I'd put them in some barbecue sauce and stew them with some other vegetables. Either way, one drumstick is plenty meat for me. This is good for five meals.
@TheSojourner I love how you can put foods together like that . . . so creative !
@much2say I actually changed my mind midstream. I have some boxes of macaroni and goat cheese cheddar that I bought through Martie a while back. I'm cooking one of the boxes of pasta in the barbecue sauce and then I will add the cheddar cheese in before I serve it. So it has all of those vegetables and barbecue sauce and chicken legs. It will work. LOL
@wolfgirl569 (69653)
• Marion, Ohio
Easy meal
Super easy. And there's leftovers for RGD.
@popciclecold (31136)
It sounds good, get some rest. Where is Cooper?
@TheSojourner Good job.
He's over at RGD's house. He's going to have to go back to the kennel on Thursday so I can go to the oncology appointment on Friday morning. He's not a good traveler in the car, so we are taking him to the kennel on Thursday night and will pick him up on friday.
@FourWalls (51079)
You’re a drummer, so I know you know those don’t look like any drumsticks!! How about some scalloped potatoes with them?
I just put in a bunch of grape tomatoes, baby carrots and cut up some celery and I used up the last bit of Sweet baby Ray's barbecue sauce and I'm cooking it all in that. It's on a low simmer on the back of the stove. I may make a microwave baked potato or rice to go with it.
@Deepizzaguy (77527)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I do not blame you for taking your nap this evening since cooking a meal can wait until tomorrow.
That's the nice thing about the slow cooker! However, I noticed it was nearly 5:00 p.m., and if I go take a nap now, I'll never sleep tonight.
• Rupert, Idaho
That's a good price on the chicken drumsticks. I think anyway, I don't buy that part of the chicken lol
@MommyOfEli2013 When I can find them on sale, I buy them.
• Rupert, Idaho
@TheSojourner That's good, same. If not I don't eat chicken lol
• Rupert, Idaho
@TheSojourner Understandable. We can't really either...but I wouldn't eat any other part
I hope cooper got some chicken. He needs to make a post again. My cats always get chicken when we have it.
He's not here at home with me. He won't be home until the end of this week. I have a doctor's appointment on Friday, so he'll be back over the weekend.
We ate so many chicken drumsticks when our son was younger that I lost my taste for them. I will say that I do like Sweet Baby Ray's sauce, it is delicious.
I understand about the drumsticks, but right now, when I can find them that inexpensive, then I will eat it. I'm a white meat girl, not the dark meat.
@Juliaacv that sounds so delicious.
Those are inexpensive and a good meal. I am not a lot in the mood of cooking the past few days.I think and think and never seems to be appealing. It will pass.
That's how I feel right now. It's a chore! LOL
@LadyDuck I'm so relieved to hear this. And you're celebratory dinner sounds great! I hope you'll share the recipe and pictures!
@TheSojourner We are just back from the hospital, long but good visit and it's NOT a cancer, he will need a small surgery, but nothing too bad. I am going to make spicy rice and shrimps for dinner, let's celebrate.
@LindaOHio (114176)
I love barbecued chicken. Your dinner should be very good.
It worked out okay.
@SonjaRae (16894)
I do the same thing with almost empty bottles! That includes shampoo, body wash, dish soap etc!
You cook with shampoo, body wash, dish soap?
@SonjaRae (16894)
@TheSojourner YUP, alllll that
@MarieCoyle (11495)
I really like the dark meat chicken, I think it has more flavor and doesn't get as dry as the white. We like Sweet Baby Ray's here, too. Last night was one of those nights of about 1 hour of sleep, so today was hard to get through. I finally crashed about 4 pm and slept until 5. Hopefully I will get to sleep soon, and I hope you can sleep as well.
It's 6:45 now and I need to sleep more, b but not sure if I can swing it! LOL