Cheap Eats: Dinner is served

As I wrote in a previous discussion, I bought these chicken legs at a good price. I added some vegetables, and barbecue sauce. Rather than cooked potato or rice, I had some boxes of shell macaroni with goat cheese cheddar, and decided to cook the pasta in the barbecue sauce, and then mixed in the cheese sauce. It reminds me of some of the Church potluck meals from the 60s and 70s. It's a bit of a comfort food, and it didn't cost very much to make. I was able to use up just a little bit more in my refrigerator and my pantry. I do have leftovers that I can divvy up into portions. Not my favorite meal, but it's edible. Best of all, it cost me less than $1 per portion, including the salad greens. Photo is my own.
@RubyHawk (82465)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It’s a good price.
Yes, and it worked okay.
@RubyHawk (82465)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheSojourner That's what we want, more for our money.
@RubyHawk I turned the leftovers into a soup that I added a couple things from my pantry. I now have six pint jars for later, in addition to what we ate tonight for dinner.
@FourWalls (51023)
Yummy! Let’s eat!! “Not a favorite meal” = “It’ll make a turd.”
That is SO "Navy." LOL
@FourWalls (51023)
@TheSojourner — that’s where I learned it from: my brother.
Less than a dollar is awesome! How is the goat cheese cheddar (don't think I've had that) - and with the barbeque sauce?
@TheSojourner Ah, not sure if I've seen that brand . . . will have to look out for it!
I like this boxed mac and cheese a lot. Can't remember the name of it right now for the brand. It doesn't taste bad. It's just a little bit 1970s.
@TheSojourner I think the brand was called funny farm.
That was for sure a cheap meal. I cannot decide what to prepare for lunch. We have to go out soon after lunch for more tests at the hospital, I need something light, no sauces, no garlic, no onion. I think I will go with penne seasoned with butter and Parmesan.
Very simple. I hope the tests go well
@LadyDuck I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Sending out much love to you both.
@TheSojourner We are going out in 10 to 15 minutes. I have no idea how long we will be there.
• Rockingham, Australia
That's a very cheap meal indeed.
It's not my favorite meal, but it's edible.
• Rockingham, Australia
@TheSojourner Edible is at least better than the alternative.
@JudyEv That's truth! I do know this is something that RGD will like.
@Adie04 (15164)
Cooking your own meal is cheaper than going to dine in. But, sometimes we may need to taste other cooking once in a while too.
Very true.
That looks very good. We had left overs tonight.
Thank you. I know rgd will like this as leftovers.
@wolfgirl569 (69361)
• Marion, Ohio
Good price
I try! LOL
@spiderdust (13823)
• San Jose, California
I like the idea you had for the macaroni and cheese. I think I might also have a box of mac & goat cheese... did you get it from Imperfect or somewhere similar?
Since imperfect won't service me, I think I might have gotten it from Martie, or misfits or someplace like that. It's a brand called funny farm.
@spiderdust imperfect was really horrible to me and I had some major issues. The same with a couple of them. And Martie has disappointed me, because they stopped using a certain shipping, and now they don't let us choose, but they have a shipping company they use often times, which are not allowed on the base and they are not willing to become vetted. So then, I get something and it's turned away, and they refuse to ship it out again using a different carrier. That happened to me when I had thanksgiving, and there were things I needed that were there, and then got turned away. They certainly refund my money, but when you want something, you don't want just your money refunded, you want the products.
@spiderdust (13823)
• San Jose, California
@TheSojourner Wow, that's really frustrating. I remember all the issues you were having with Misfits and I hoped Imperfect would be a better experience. I'm sorry that it wasn't, and it sounds like it was a really awful experience.
@LindaOHio (115172)
Looks good to me! And definitely frugal.
@LindaOHio that is the best
Thanks. It's leftovers that I know rgd will eat when he comes today or tomorrow.
@LindaOHio (115172)
@TheSojourner And you will get Cooper back!